Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Dodgers Official Offseason - Trade Talk Thread

Discuss all offseason related stuff here
    Last edited by DodgerB24; 12-30-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    Foam Party!

vCash
    The Dodgers will continue to strengthen their starting rotation which could lead them to target Zack Greinke, writes Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times.
    Foam Party!

vCash
    Jim Tracy resigned today as coach of the Colorado Rockies. Feel bad for the guy, he was dealt a tough hand to play this year will all the injuries and the 75 pitch limit for starting pitchers. No sure what the future is for Donnie Baseball, but I'd love to have him back with the organization in some fashion. He has always been one of my favorite Dodger managers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Agar629 View Post
    Jim Tracy resigned today as coach of the Colorado Rockies. Feel bad for the guy, he was dealt a tough hand to play this year will all the injuries and the 75 pitch limit for starting pitchers. No sure what the future is for Donnie Baseball, but I'd love to have him back with the organization in some fashion. He has always been one of my favorite Dodger managers.
    I thoroughly disliked his dismissal from this team. He was definitely the fall guy for a roster full of attitude problems and injury history. I'm not one to advocate dismiss a manager as a reactionary measure, but I do like Tracy and wouldn't mind him managing the Dodgers again, especially after Donnie Baseball sheet himself in the season decider.
    Introducing Dodgers' Opponents' 2014 Lineups

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 -

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    I thoroughly disliked his dismissal from this team. He was definitely the fall guy for a roster full of attitude problems and injury history. I'm not one to advocate dismiss a manager as a reactionary measure, but I do like Tracy and wouldn't mind him managing the Dodgers again, especially after Donnie Baseball sheet himself in the season decider.
    dude Tracy makes awful decisions. He makes Mattingly look like Joe Maddon half the time.

Anyway I have faith in our squad next year and I think we'll obvious be a contender. The only things I think we really need to worry about are

1. Get a top notch starting pitcher. Signing Greinke would be huge.
    b. If we sign Greinke move one of Capuano or Harang. I'd probably rather move Capuano as he was terrible down the stretch. Plus he has obvious injury issues.

2. Decide if we want to resign League. I'd love him back but if it's a long term deal then I'd pass.

3. Move Hanley to third. Have no idea why Donnie wants him to stay at short. He's a terrible defensive shortstop and Cruz is brilliant with the glove.

4. Sign Shohei Otani- Otani is thought of as the best pitching prospect from Japan since Darvish. He's only 18 so he'll start in the farm system but he's already got a great understanding of how to pitch(plus he throws 100. Yes 100 at age 18).

vCash
    I agree that signing League for a long term deal is a bad idea. Would prefer it be 1 year but that might not be possible. But hopefully less than 3 years. We are still stuck with Guerrier one more year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgerBlue8188 View Post
    I agree that signing League for a long term deal is a bad idea. Would prefer it be 1 year but that might not be possible. But hopefully less than 3 years. We are still stuck with Guerrier one more year.
    I'd be fine with 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Brink View Post
    dude Tracy makes awful decisions. He makes Mattingly look like Joe Maddon half the time.

Anyway I have faith in our squad next year and I think we'll obvious be a contender. The only things I think we really need to worry about are

1. Get a top notch starting pitcher. Signing Greinke would be huge.
    b. If we sign Greinke move one of Capuano or Harang. I'd probably rather move Capuano as he was terrible down the stretch. Plus he has obvious injury issues.

2. Decide if we want to resign League. I'd love him back but if it's a long term deal then I'd pass.

3. Move Hanley to third. Have no idea why Donnie wants him to stay at short. He's a terrible defensive shortstop and Cruz is brilliant with the glove.

4. Sign Shohei Otani- Otani is thought of as the best pitching prospect from Japan since Darvish. He's only 18 so he'll start in the farm system but he's already got a great understanding of how to pitch(plus he throws 100. Yes 100 at age 18).
    Yeah, now that I think about it, I do remember 'wtf?'-ing at Tracy on the occasion. I guess, as they say, time heals all wounds

I must agree with all of the moves you stated, except I do want to lock League down. I think we all knew what he was capable of and it finally seemed to click for him about mid-August. I think he finished after that point 6-6 in saves with a 0.73era. Seems like he's finally learned how to pitch.

Primarily though, I think we'll get a great deal if we lock him down for the longterm now while he's not in an elite closer status. If eventually Tolleson or Jansen prove more effective and we want to switch up the 7th, 8th, 9th, we'll still have a lights-out bully and a slightly overpaid setup man.

I have no doubts we'll go hard at Otani. Fingers are crossed! ray:

vCash
    ^ we have already been wooing Otani hard. Logan White made the trek all the way to Japan to speak to both Otani and his high school coach.

Also I agree that League looked great but I'm just not ready to say he's an elite closer. He's never shown anywhere close to what he did with us for the last 2 months and that's just not a long enough sample size.

Plus Jansen is still a much more talented pitcher. I just don't like giving any reliever a multiple year contract. Besides the ultra elite it nearly always backfires.

Guerrier was actually a very similar pitcher to League. He was a great set up man/reliever for years but never had elite swing and miss stuff and struggled with his command. League has struggled with both of those things as well. I just don't see any reason to give him more than 3 years just because he was great for 2 months.

vCash
    2YR/9M for League?
    Foam Party!

vCash
    I don't know that I would lump Guerrier and League together so quickly. And I'm not quite ready to say Jansen has more upside because he's younger.

I know you're referring to their results, but Guerrier has always been more finess with a typical dose of fastball, change, cb, slider.

As far as he and Jansen go, I'm still just as amazed at how Jansen gets it done as I always was with Mariano. They've got 1 pitch! Nasty for sure, but still one pitch.

League has always had the stuff to dominate, but was a pure flame thrower in Seattle. My only concern when we brought him over was that he needed to learn how to pitch; location and setup. He seemed to progress leaps and bounds in that departmen at the end of the season.

I know he's not an elite closer yet. That was my point about locking him down for multiple years - he won't get elite closer money in free agency. If we only give him a year we may have to overpay just to watch him obtain top closer status and walk for more money next offseason. Btw, when I say "lock down" a reliever, I'm speaking relatively. I'd never give a reliever more than 3 years, unless maybe its a Mariano Rivera. I

I'll bet 3yr/15-18 mil gets it done with League this offseason. At that price, if he were to fall into the setup role at any point during the contract we may be slightly be overpaying, but we'd have a built in solution to assume the closer role at any point and his presence will give Tolleson more time to develop without immediately having to step into a late innings role.

vCash
    AJ Ellis had a clean up on his left knee. Should be ready for opening day 2013 tho. too lazy to find and post a link from my phone so you will have to do your own search sorry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer5 View Post
    AJ Ellis had a clean up on his left knee. Should be ready for opening day 2013 tho. too lazy to find and post a link from my phone so you will have to do your own search sorry.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/...on-is-underway
    Foam Party!

vCash
    Pitching, Pitching, and health.

vCash
    We should sticky this thread, like all other forums, if only we had a mod
    Foam Party!

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast