Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Wow, this is a lot of greenbacks for Jackson!

mlbtr.com

The Cubs have agreed to sign Edwin Jackson to a four-year, $52MM contract, Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com reports (on Twitter). The deal does not include a no-trade clause, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). The agreement between the Cubs and the Legacy Sports Group client is pending a physical.

The Cubs have worked exceptionally aggressively to add free agent starting pitching this offseason. They already signed Scott Feldman, Scott Baker and Carlos Villanueva to join a rotation led by Matt Garza and Jeff Samardzija. Travis Wood also has considerable experience starting, but he might now project as a reliever.

None of the Cubs' additions will cost the team a future draft pick. The Nationals declined to make Jackson a qualifying offer after the season, which means he wasn’t linked to draft pick compensation. As MLBTR's Transaction Tracker shows, Jackson's deal represents the largest free agent contract the Cubs have agreed to under GM Jed Hoyer.

Jackson joins his eighth MLB team and his seventh club since 2008. The 29-year-old spent the 2012 season with the Nationals, posting a 4.03 ERA with 8.0 K/9, 2.8 BB/9 and a 47.3% ground ball rate in 189 2/3 regular season innings. He reached the 180-inning plateau for the fifth consecutive season with an average fastball velocity of 93.5 mph.

Jackson joined Legacy Sports in July, leaving the Boras Corporation. Last winter Jackson obtained a one-year, $11MM contract to play in Washington. One year later, the Indians, Rangers and Padres were among the teams with interest in Jackson.

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    Wow i am so glad the Rangers did not spend that money on Jackson.I thought he would get like 3 year deal for 30 million.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parman4818 View Post
    Wow i am so glad the Rangers did not spend that money on Jackson.I thought he would get like 3 year deal for 30 million.
    Of all of the absurd contracts that have been signed over the past couple weeks, Jackson's is the craziest one.

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    I am a member of a Texas Tech message board and there is a thread about AJP to the Rangers. Well in that thread some guy claims to have gone to HS with Cody Ross. He just posted again in the same thread saying Ross' wife just posted "Oh happy day!" on her facebook and people are asking if her man had signed with Texas and she is dodging their question/speculation.

Interesting. Think we are on the verge of getting Cody Ross, fellas.
    Last edited by asmarks18; 12-20-2012 at 10:10 PM.
    @asmarks18
    Texas Rangers
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Dallas Cowboys
    St. Louis Rams
    Dallas Mavericks
    St. Louis Blues
    Texas Tech

vCash
    The Marlins tried to trade for Mike Olt of the Rangers, Nick Castellanos of the Tigers and Jedd Gyorko of the Padres before signing Placido Polanco, Stark reports.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/texas_...IzPKwEJCEs1.99
    Not sure if this means that the Marlins are out on trying to acquire Olt now.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    CBS Sports' Jon Heyman hears that the Rangers are "starting to look into" Michael Bourn.
    Heyman writes that "a possible run at Bourn seems to be more in the infancy stages," as the Rangers are "asking around" about the outfielder. After losing out on Josh Hamilton, Texas is looking at various ways to upgrade their offense, with Cody Ross also on their radar. They already added some offensive punch this week with the addition of A.J. Pierzynski.
    Thoughts?

vCash
    Bourne is a type of player that Daniels likes, in that he is a very good defender. Martin is likely our long term solution in CF. I am not sure if he is ready or not though. If we sign Bourne it should be for a short term contract. If not Martin becomes trade bait. The biggest drawback to Bourne is that he will cost the Rangers a draft pick. Would be interesting to see where Elvis & Kinsler would be in the batting order with Bourne leading off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Rangers View Post
    Bourne is a type of player that Daniels likes, in that he is a very good defender. Martin is likely our long term solution in CF. I am not sure if he is ready or not though. If we sign Bourne it should be for a short term contract. If not Martin becomes trade bait. The biggest drawback to Bourne is that he will cost the Rangers a draft pick. Would be interesting to see where Elvis & Kinsler would be in the batting order with Bourne leading off.
    Yes, I don't like the Bourn legacy of a lost draft pick and a trading away of Martin. Between Martin and Gentry I think they could come up with decent production in CF for way less than what Bourn will make, and it's about time we give Martin extended PT as he'll be 25 when the season starts.

vCash
    From the Newberg Report:

The Rangers have claimed left-handed reliever Jeff Beliveau off waivers from the Cubs, a move that temporarily makes the Texas 40-man roster full.

The 25-year-old made his big league debut last summer, making 22 inconsistent appearances out of the Chicago bullpen, but in his five minor league seasons he’s put up remarkable strikeout numbers (11.6 per nine innings) while permitting only seven hits per nine innings and suppressing power (only 22 home runs in 314.2 career innings) in spite of flyball tendencies.

The Cubs had tried running Beliveau through waivers to make room on the roster for the signing of third baseman Ian Stewart. While Texas had one open spot into which Beliveau slides, the club’s roster is now full and will need to be pared down once the A.J. Pierzynski move is made official, possibly later today. A safe bet would be that one of the club’s 4-A catchers, Eli Whiteside and Luis Martinez, will be run through waivers to create space.

Beliveau has two options remaining, and so if he holds onto his 40-man roster spot between now and Opening Day, Texas can farm him out if he fails to lock down a spot in the season-opening bullpen.

vCash
    i just dont view Bourn as that much of an upgrade over Gentry and/or Martin....plus the cost of his contract and having to give up a draft pick would steer me clear away from Bourn. I think Martin will be fine, he just needs to be given the green light to be the full starter and for some reason our management doesnt do that very often with rookies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by asmarks18 View Post
    I am a member of a Texas Tech message board and there is a thread about AJP to the Rangers. Well in that thread some guy claims to have gone to HS with Cody Ross. He just posted again in the same thread saying Ross' wife just posted "Oh happy day!" on her facebook and people are asking if her man had signed with Texas and she is dodging their question/speculation.

Interesting. Think we are on the verge of getting Cody Ross, fellas.
    Ross is headed to Arizona now it seems.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slugger82685 View Post
    i just dont view Bourn as that much of an upgrade over Gentry and/or Martin....plus the cost of his contract and having to give up a draft pick would steer me clear away from Bourn. I think Martin will be fine, he just needs to be given the green light to be the full starter and for some reason our management doesnt do that very often with rookies.
    Bourn is an instant upgrade! has led the majors in runs saved over the past 4 years and will be a real leadoff hitter who steals 40+ bases.
    Gentry has had one good year, bourn has done it for quite awhile now. Having both craig and michael in the outfield will put us right there with fastest outfield along with the angels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    Ross is headed to Arizona now it seems.
    What a dumb signing for the Dbacks.....but it should give us more leverage to hopefully get Upton. I dont understand why the Dbacks dont want a package around Olt, they got a SS now and they really need a 3B so it just makes too much sense I guess....I would take Eaton in a smaller deal though, I really dont care for Kubel, he is OK and would provide some pop but I am just not a huge fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevilla91 View Post
    Bourn is an instant upgrade! has led the majors in runs saved over the past 4 years and will be a real leadoff hitter who steals 40+ bases.
    Gentry has had one good year, bourn has done it for quite awhile now. Having both craig and michael in the outfield will put us right there with fastest outfield along with the angels.
    we have no idea what Gentry can do for a full year...IMO, he proved himself this past year that he deserves a full time shot. In 269 ABs he put up a .304 BA and a .336 wOBA along with a 105 wRC+. Not too mention 13 SB and a 13.9 UZR....Bourn would not be much of an upgrade over those numbers, now I am not saying he would certainly keep that pace all year, but putting them up in less than half the ABs of a full time player merits a shot at a full time gig and would save us the money and draft pick cost of signing bourn.

vCash
    I think Swisher is the best option for the Rangers offense at this point. Cody Ross is a 4th OF at best.

Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast