Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    vCash
    On Bourn: Even on a one year deal, I'd still rather give Gentry/Martin the playing time, if only to see what we have in both of those guys. I just don't see Bourn as a player that gets us any closer to a championship, so we might as well play what we have and see if they'll be worth anything either on the team itself or by trading them.

On Jackson: I'll pass. 4 years is a ridiculous commitment to a pitcher of his caliber. He had a poor year last year and there's a reason he's bounced around from team to team over his career. I'd much rather see us sign another starter to a short-term deal, then see what Darvish, Harrison, Holland, Ogando and Perez can do. Just like Gentry/Martin, a couple of those guys really need to prove their worth to the club.

On Pierzynski: Our catching is so piss poor that he does make sense, even if we should be concerned with his presence within the clubhouse. We need to find left-handed hitting and if the Rangers aren't going to pony up for LaRoche, then we're running low on options.

All in all, I've given up on this team. We're back to a youth movement/low-risk/wait and see approach and frankly, no matter who we add at this point, I can't see us any better than a third place team in the AL West. So, we might as well stick the course and see what we have in these young players. Hopefully they work out, because if not, they won't even have much trade value. This is the course Nolan, JD & the other band of "we know betters" laid out, so I'd rather stick to it than go with the cheap, BS option of signing a bunch of has been's and never were's to multi-year deals that will prevent us from obtaining real talent at a later date...not that I'm pinning much hope on this group to open up their pocketbooks.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Rangers View Post
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/t...chatter-121812

Ken Rosenthal

Some executives still believe that the Diamondbacks will trade Upton, even though general manager Kevin Towers has said such a move is “highly unlikely.”

One exec asks: What if Upton, 25, has a mediocre season? It would be the third time in four years that he failed to meet expectations. And at that point, his value will be diminished.

Upton will earn $9.75 million this season, but his salary will be more than $14 million in each of the final two years of his deal. Meanwhile, the industry perception is that the D-Backs are down on him, though no one is quite sure why.

In other words: The D-Backs still might be motivated to trade Upton now.
    I still wouldn't give up Andrus for him, but I would do a deal centered around Olt.

vCash
    Jackson is a giant piece of crap. This offseason will go from bad to horrific if we sign him. Can't believe pitchers of his caliber can demand a 4 year $50M contract

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    I still wouldn't give up Andrus for him, but I would do a deal centered around Olt.
    There are whispers that the Marlins might be interested in Olt.

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    If we pick up Jackson, it better be because we are about to make a major trade that includes Holland & Olt for Stanton

vCash
    Rangers are reportedly interested in JP Howell.

Meh...

vCash
    From 2009 -2011, AJ hit a combined 30 HR's. Each of those 3 seasons he had over 500 plate appearances. Last year AJ hit 27 HRs.
    Last edited by Cursed Rangers; 12-19-2012 at 01:08 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Rangers View Post
    If we pick up Jackson, it better be because we are about to make a major trade that includes Holland & Olt for Stanton
    Yep. I'd take on Jackson and his crappy contract terms to get that deal done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    On Bourn: Even on a one year deal, I'd still rather give Gentry/Martin the playing time, if only to see what we have in both of those guys. I just don't see Bourn as a player that gets us any closer to a championship, so we might as well play what we have and see if they'll be worth anything either on the team itself or by trading them.

On Jackson: I'll pass. 4 years is a ridiculous commitment to a pitcher of his caliber. He had a poor year last year and there's a reason he's bounced around from team to team over his career. I'd much rather see us sign another starter to a short-term deal, then see what Darvish, Harrison, Holland, Ogando and Perez can do. Just like Gentry/Martin, a couple of those guys really need to prove their worth to the club.

On Pierzynski: Our catching is so piss poor that he does make sense, even if we should be concerned with his presence within the clubhouse. We need to find left-handed hitting and if the Rangers aren't going to pony up for LaRoche, then we're running low on options.

All in all, I've given up on this team. We're back to a youth movement/low-risk/wait and see approach and frankly, no matter who we add at this point, I can't see us any better than a third place team in the AL West. So, we might as well stick the course and see what we have in these young players. Hopefully they work out, because if not, they won't even have much trade value. This is the course Nolan, JD & the other band of "we know betters" laid out, so I'd rather stick to it than go with the cheap, BS option of signing a bunch of has been's and never were's to multi-year deals that will prevent us from obtaining real talent at a later date...not that I'm pinning much hope on this group to open up their pocketbooks.
    I wouldn't call Jackson's season poor last year. He was still above league average in most categories. I'm not saying he's an ace, but a solid 3 easily.

vCash
    I wouldnt mind giving Jackson a 3 year deal if that were possible, the only thing that really concerns me though is that is has pitched in pitcher's ballparks for most of his career, mostly being in the NL too and I doubt he will translate well in our ballpark. I do think he would eat innings though so that would be a big plus as you never know what to expect from our starters outside of Darvish and Harrison.

vCash
    TR Sullivan
    mlb.com

On Tuesday night, Jim Bowden tweeted that the Rangers and the Cubs are the final suitors for Jackson.

We are also told that the Padres have dropped out of the running because they didn’t want to make a four-year commitment to Jackson. They also dropped out because they didn’t want to make a $12-13 million per year commitment to Jackson. He made $11 million from the Nationals last season.

All right, so if all of that is true, then the Rangers apparently are willing to go at least four years and $50 million for Jackson. That’s the logic.

Really?

For four years we have been listening to how good the Rangers farm system is, how important it is to develop their own pitching and how much they have done to change the pitching culture within the organization.

And now Edwin Jackson is going to get four years and $50 million?

Really?

So what do you get for $50 million?

Over the past four years, Jackson is 45-41 with a 3.98 ERA in 127 start and one relief appearance. There have been 63 Major League pitchers who have made at least 100 starts over the past four years and Jackson has the 35th best ERA. He is 43rd with 8.99 hits per nine innings, 37th with 2.97 walks and 34th with 7.29 strikeouts per nine innings.

Jackson is 29 years old. He hasn’t been on the disabled since 2004. He has also been with seven different organizations in his career.

So, using all powers of logic, are the Rangers really willing to give Jackson a four-year contract?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    I wouldn't call Jackson's season poor last year. He was still above league average in most categories. I'm not saying he's an ace, but a solid 3 easily.
    Yes but he was also facing a pitcher hitting at least twice per game .
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

vCash
    I'll agree, getting suckered into a 4 year contract with Jackson seems ridiculous. I would rather buy a couple of one or two year deals on some comeback pitchers. You already know what you are going to get in Jackson, another #3 pitcher which we already have plenty of. This signing makes no sense.

Come on Daniels, we all get you've ****ed up royally but don't start spending money now just for the hell of it.

I'd rather see what the rookies can do than waste another 4 years of having to pay Jackson to be a 4.40 ERA pitcher at the Ballpark.
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    Hey fellas, first post on the forums but I'll say I have been following and reading the forums for the past couple of years, just never got signed up. Feels good to finally be able to write and share my ideas with everyone in here! Go Rangers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    I'll agree, getting suckered into a 4 year contract with Jackson seems ridiculous. I would rather buy a couple of one or two year deals on some comeback pitchers. You already know what you are going to get in Jackson, another #3 pitcher which we already have plenty of. This signing makes no sense.

Come on Daniels, we all get you've ****ed up royally but don't start spending money now just for the hell of it.

I'd rather see what the rookies can do than waste another 4 years of having to pay Jackson to be a 4.40 ERA pitcher at the Ballpark.
    Amen! Couldn't agree more

Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast