Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    I don't doubt Hamilton isn't worth the $25 million a year. Problem is though if we are going to make a legitimate run at it we can't always think 5 years into the future. If we could have gotten an ace, and kept Hamilton around to make a run at the Series again he would have definitely been worth it.

The Angels aren't worrying about what Pujols and Hamilton will cost them in 5 years. They are trying to win now while Trout and Trumbo are still young, and financially controllable.

At a certain time with the Rangers they needed to have done that too. They should have thrown all their chips in the bag after two back to back World Series losses.

Now with the epic collapse last year, the stitches of our World Series run have completely come undone.
    That "win now" attitude is exactly what's going to put the Dodgers and Angels in a huge financial hole in the next 3-5 years. Just look at what happened to Boston. Now of course you can't be too fiscally conservative. The Mariners GM is extremely wary of giving out big contracts and look where that's got them. I'm very pleased with what Texas is doing. They're not paying $160M to a very good but not great pitcher (that's CC money btw) or $125M to an aging, injury prone, and overrated outfielder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    Yeah, he said he'd let Texas match any offer and didn't. That's a dick move in my book. Now of course JD is smart enough to pass on a ridiculous deal like the 5/125 that Hamilton got, but it would have been nice.
    Lesson learned, don't leave it in the players hands you make the deal happen.

vCash
    That "win now" attitude is exactly what's going to put the Dodgers and Angels in a huge financial hole in the next 3-5 years. Just look at what happened to Boston. Now of course you can't be too fiscally conservative. The Mariners GM is extremely wary of giving out big contracts and look where that's got them. I'm very pleased with what Texas is doing. They're not paying $160M to a very good but not great pitcher (that's CC money btw) or $125M to an aging, injury prone, and overrated outfielder.
    But I mean now what do we do? How do we replace 77 HR's and 260+ RBI's from Naps, Young and Hamilton? How do we stay competitive in a league with the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels? Let alone a World Series against the Dodgers? Again, I am not saying that we should turn into the Angels and a $250 million payroll, but sometimes do you have to pay to get a return. Now we will have to obviously 100% overpay to keep the 230 hitting Nelson Cruz around next year for sure?

Next years free agency class isn't good at all. Besides trading away all of our farm to make one last ditch effort at it, we may be looking at years of mediocrity AGAIN when we were so close!
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    While you raise good points, this off season is nothing short of disaster. It is a front office melt down akin to the past three year melt downs when it mattered. Close does not count and second sux. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably never played a competitive down , inning or period in their life. Co-ed intramurals doesn't count.

For all Texas' frugality, they have gotten significantly worse on their roster. They've lost a club house leader, a load of RBI's and HR production, and no Ace.

Anyway you slice it, they're in trouble. And....IF they trade Andrus in any way shape or form for Upton he's an idiot.

vCash
    Any interest in Ellsbury?

vCash
    I would assume the Andrus for Upton trade is dead with the trade Arizona just made to pick up a SS .. which is for the best. I think both Upton's are over rated.

vCash
    What the Rangers are doing feels a lot like what the Marlins just did. Other than the fact that the Marlins at least picked up a few decent prospects.

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    I think John Daniels and greedy Rangers have taken a page from the Marlins playbook. Except they at least gave the assumption last offseason they cared enough.

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

vCash
    Yeah, he said he'd let Texas match any offer and didn't. That's a dick move in my book. Now of course JD is smart enough to pass on a ridiculous deal like the 5/125 that Hamilton got, but it would have been nice.
    Oh poor Rangers. After they flaunted publicly that Josh was "Plan C", Hamilton didn't let them match the Angels offer. Nevermind that the Rangers had also balked on 5 years anyway.

I can see clearly why Michael Young had issues with the Rangers management after the way they treated Josh during this process.

This is coming from a Hamilton hater btw.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBoy77 View Post
    Any interest in Ellsbury?
    Not with what the Sox would want for him.

He's got 1 year, is signed with Boras and is injury prone.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bearfanrp View Post
    I would assume the Andrus for Upton trade is dead with the trade Arizona just made to pick up a SS .. which is for the best. I think both Upton's are over rated.
    I hardly consider Didi Gregorius to be the "answer" at short for the DBacks. This is a career .270 hitter in the minors who has no power and doesn't run the bases all that much. He is a very good fielder, but thats his only good attribute.

vCash
    only few players like Hamilton out there. Everyone who didn't want him here is about to find out how mediocre the Rangers are without him.

My Prediction
    LLA
    Oakland
    Texas
    Seattle

I could see Seattle passing us especially if we don't make any impact moves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ddhulett View Post
    only few players like Hamilton out there. Everyone who didn't want him here is about to find out how mediocre the Rangers are without him.

My Prediction
    LLA
    Oakland
    Texas
    Seattle

I could see Seattle passing us especially if we don't make any impact moves.
    Nah I don't see them passing us. I could honestly see us make a run at second place though. No doubt I agree the Angels will take it this year and then some. Again, its not like we just lost out on signing a free agent. We still have a strong team, but we are definitely out of the contenders league at this point.

vCash
    The Marlins could reverse their stance on trading Giancarlo Stanton, opines MLB.com's Joe Frisaro, if the Rangers are desperate to add another big bat and were willing to offer Jurickson Profar or Mike Olt in a deal. Frisaro also thinks Miami could be a trade match with the Angels as Peter Bourjos "has been on the Marlins' radar for a while."

MLBTR

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    Oh poor Rangers. After they flaunted publicly that Josh was "Plan C", Hamilton didn't let them match the Angels offer. Nevermind that the Rangers had also balked on 5 years anyway.

I can see clearly why Michael Young had issues with the Rangers management after the way they treated Josh during this process.

This is coming from a Hamilton hater btw.
    I am the same way. I said before we should have let Hamilton walk, but not just shoot ourselves in the foot. Like it or not, if we wanted to be competitive next season with how this offseason has gone we would have had to resign him.

I was going to bring up the Michael Young scenario before. He moves all around the field for the Rangers, does whatever it takes. Is a leader in the clubhouse and honestly they have only ever treated him like dog ****. Hamilton wasn't a great leader, but still its no wonder he didn't want to come back.

Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast