Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rangersfan View Post
    I'm pretty sure they, you know, tried to get these guys. But I guess you thought they just sat there with their thumbs up their as__s. You saw what the winning bids were for Greinke and Hammy. Maybe, just maybe, JD and co. - you know, the guys responsible for our recent success and are considered around the league to comprise one of the best FO's in the game - thought they were a little high and the value for the money wasn't there at those prices.
    Nah, BS. They didn't try at all in my mind. How do I know this???

A) They came out and said they'd wait on the market to develop. Other teams went straight out and got deals done in the meantime.

B) They have money. We're not the paupers of Hicks era that so many other ignorant fans out there think we are. They chose not to meet market prices.

C) JD has come out saying he's disappointed that Josh didn't live up to his word about giving them last crack at him. What did they expect? They expected to sit around and let Josh do their jobs for them.

Good players cost money. Average players even cost money. And I don't want to hear any BS that we can win because "look at the Rays or A's"...we're not either. And I don't want to hear "JD knows what he's doing", because simply put, for every good deal he's made, he's made a host of bad choices here too. So what that we won the AL 2 years...well over a year ago? He won nothing his first few years here and despite what these idiotic fans here think, he's not some magic guru that makes the Rangers win. The Rangers players make the Rangers win...and now, a lot of those winning players are gone.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    What do you guys think about Peter Bourjos?
    I think he's not as good a player as what we've lost. The proof of that is that his team just signed our former player to start over him.

Play Gentry or Martin. They're all virtually the same player.

vCash
    Hamilton in Los Angeles and only 4 hours from Vegas... Angels better keep him busy over the winter... VERY BUSY.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    Sorry, but I'm getting to the point where I find this offseason hilarious. What did JD and Nolan really expect?

Did they expect Greinke just to fall into our laps because Nolan is the great Nolan Ryan?
    Did they expect not to trade quality to get quality in return?
    Did they expect to prioritize Greinke and try to sign Upton and just have Hamilton return to them when they couldn't get either?

All in all, this FO acts as though they're entitled to talent because of our recent success...success, that was not championship success by the way.
    Pretty horrible offseason
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzik View Post
    First off, it's not that we lost out on Greinke, it's that we come so close to him and Lee and the Rangers won't throw in, what, an extra $10M? Or an extra year? It's so frustrating. Why even waste the time if you can't or won't outbid other teams? And why does our ownership always have to be cheap when it comes to a proven ace?

Also, as for the comment that the FA winners never win...that's is overplayed and completely untrue. The problem is, there's generally several big FA transactions each year, so of course not every team can win. But let's take last year...Tigers signed Prince Fielder...made the World Series. Angels signed Pujols and the only reason they didn't make the playoffs is because they played in arguably the toughest division last year. But it's not like they sucked either. Sometimes other teams are just better.

2010-2011 offseason? Cliff Lee signs with the Phillies. They win over 100 games. They lost to a red hot StL team. It sucks, but that's baseball. They certainly didn't lose though. Also in 2011, Tigers signed Victor Martinez...made the ALCS. Once again, didn't lose. Berkman was also considered a notable signing, he won a championship.

2009-2010 offseason? Cardinals signed Matt Holliday to a $120M deal. Bet they're regretting that after a championship two years after the signing and an NLCS appearance the year after. And let's not forget the Giants in all of this, they did use homegrown talent, but they signed Cain to a huge deal and will have to do the same to Posey. Which is effectively the same as letting them hit free agency, they just do it when they have no competition, which is smart.

I could go on, but the point is, signing a big name free agent is not a bad move. It can just be done poorly. Either by signing players too old or not worth it or signing a big name free agent on to a terrible team (see: A-Roid/Rangers). Just because GMs can mess things up doesn't mean every team that hands out a huge contract loses or sucks.

Next, I'm a HUGE fan of letting our young guys play. Anyone who reads this forum should know that. I WANT Perez pitching every fifth game. I want Profar in this year's lineup. I'm not sure Olt is ready, but who knows? I want Martin to see more time. I want Scheppers as our closer. But we're not the Rays, we have real income, we fill the stands. We should be able to supplement a homegrown team with a stud pitcher somewhere.

Last, your last paragraph is outright ridiculous. No offense, but seriously, link me one place that says Greinke is a bad leader or clubhouse guy. I've seen a number of reports lately that make him sound like possibly the smartest pitcher in baseball. At the same time...where's all the reports of how much of a leader King Felix or Price are? If you're gonna make a claim like that, you have to back it up with proof. I've never seen anyone question Greinke on his leadership or tell me that Hernandez or Price are better leaders or anything of the sort.
    Good points sir, the logical Rangers fans are sick of this ****. You know if we were the Kansas City Royals with no money maybe we would deal with this stuff. We're not some small market, Tampa Bay Rays team.

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

vCash
    I don't know how you guys are blaming this Hamilton deal on the FO. According to numerous reports, Josh didn't even give JD a chance to match the Angels offer, he just called and said he's signing with the Angels. Huge dick move on Josh's part, but good riddance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    Good points sir, the logical Rangers fans are sick of this ****. You know if we were the Kansas City Royals with no money maybe we would deal with this stuff. We're not some small market, Tampa Bay Rays team.
    Amen!

vCash
    I don't know how you guys are blaming this Hamilton deal on the FO. According to numerous reports, Josh didn't even give JD a chance to match the Angels offer, he just called and said he's signing with the Angels. Huge dick move on Josh's part, but good riddance.
    Dick move?

Tell me what the Rangers owed Josh Hamilton...especially after making Greinke and Upton priorities over Josh.

I hate Josh, but even I don't think he's wrong in this.

vCash
    I blame the Rangers and Jon Daniels.

Don't think your too good that you can just let the market speak for it's self.

If you want the guy then we should have handed him a big deal a year ago!

Gone for a bag of peanuts...
    Cliff Lee
    C.J. Wilson
    Michael Young
    M Napoli
    Hamilton

Rangers better get off their high horse and make something happen. If we would have played things right we should have kept Lee and Hamilton.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rangersfan View Post
    Yes, because giving Bourn with his .739 OPS last year a multi-year contract is ever so smart when we could get similar production with Martin and Gentry.

Knee-jerk panic moves never work out.
    Seriously, all you have done is shoot down every idea.

Let's all here your brilliant plan on how we will fix this. How are you going to replace the 77 homeruns and 251 RBI's we just lost this offseason.

Seriously, splain it to me Lucy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    Dick move?

Tell me what the Rangers owed Josh Hamilton...especially after making Greinke and Upton priorities over Josh.

I hate Josh, but even I don't think he's wrong in this.
    Yeah, he said he'd let Texas match any offer and didn't. That's a dick move in my book. Now of course JD is smart enough to pass on a ridiculous deal like the 5/125 that Hamilton got, but it would have been nice.

vCash
    Yeah, he said he'd let Texas match any offer and didn't. That's a dick move in my book. Now of course JD is smart enough to pass on a ridiculous deal like the 5/125 that Hamilton got, but it would have been nice.
    I don't doubt Hamilton isn't worth the $25 million a year. Problem is though if we are going to make a legitimate run at it we can't always think 5 years into the future. If we could have gotten an ace, and kept Hamilton around to make a run at the Series again he would have definitely been worth it.

The Angels aren't worrying about what Pujols and Hamilton will cost them in 5 years. They are trying to win now while Trout and Trumbo are still young, and financially controllable.

At a certain time with the Rangers they needed to have done that too. They should have thrown all their chips in the bag after two back to back World Series losses.

Now with the epic collapse last year, the stitches of our World Series run have completely come undone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Rangers View Post
    Don't the Yankees have the world's greatest player at 3B? Where would Olt ever play with his highness manning the corner for the next several years?

Sorry, I just hate ARod....

The Rangers have a massive power gap to fill with both Hamilton and Napoli not being part of this roster. Something has to be done.
    It's alright haha, you can have him back if you'd like. idk put ARod at DH

vCash
    Good discussion of how the Angels are in Win Now mode..

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8744524

vCash
    I will agree also that Josh didn't owe the Rangers anything.

They didn't make signing him a priority, and so he got the exact deal he wanted from the Angels so he took it. He probably also sees the Angels as a better contender anyway.

Its not like Nolan and JD came out and said their #1 priority was to resign him. The dicked around with Upton. They pushed hard for Greinke. They told him to test the waters. Hamilton didn't owe Daniels a phone call, he got exactly what he wanted a moved on.

Josh Hamilton put the Rangers on the map the past few years. While he is now overpaid, he did a lot for the team and the organization. He probably felt a little disrespected and I would completely agree.

Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast