Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    vCash
    So yall would rather win 1 championship and suck for 10 years like the Marlins, rather than be good for 20+ years like the Braves(who eventually got their title)???

Being good every year makes you more likely to win a title. Building a team to make a 1-2 year push rarely works.

vCash
    Greinke is not a headcase, but he's also not the surefire ace everyone is making him out to be. He's got the stuff, yes, but the numbers hardly justify his contract. Simply put, he was the best free agent pitcher in a weak free agency year. The past two years he is 10th in WAR, tied with Doug Fister, and mostly because he is an incredible fielder (second in xFIP over that span). If you take his fielding out, he's somewhere in the 30-40 range as far as pitcher rankings (below Darvish by the way). Simply put, he gives up a few too many baserunners and doesn't strike out enough batters to get himself out of it. He's nowhere near the Kershaws, Verlanders or Sabathias, yet the Dodgers are paying him as such. Seeing what he ended up signing for, I'm relieved that money will go somewhere more deserving because I can see this deal being regrettable in a couple of seasons.

But, we do need another starter and we do need another outfield bat. The options are dwindling, where do the Rangers go is what I'm curious about now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    So yall would rather win 1 championship and suck for 10 years like the Marlins, rather than be good for 20+ years like the Braves(who eventually got their title)???

Being good every year makes you more likely to win a title. Building a team to make a 1-2 year push rarely works.
    Yes. Though, I think you're being a bit dramatic. It doesn't have to be like the Marlins because we're not under the same economic structure they were/are when they've dumped their players in the past. We're not the Rangers of the Hicks era and we do have guaranteed money on its way in the form of a TV deal. When you have a team on the verge, why not do what's needed to push it to championship caliber?

And I'm sorry, but if you're not a sports fan to watch your team win it all, then why do you bother at all? Sometimes I think the "fans" of this team have forgotten that up until a few years ago, we were the laughing stock of baseball. We're due at least one championship.

Also, the Braves had Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz. We're not the Braves of the 90's.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Latest On The Rangers: Upton, Pierzynski, Dickey
    By Steve Adams [December 10 at 11:29pm CST]
    The Rangers lost out on a trade target when the Royals acquired James Shields last night, just days after losing out on free agent target Zack Greinke. Things aren't going exactly as they've planned this offseason, and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports has a host of Rangers updates in his latest column...

A rival executive told Rosenthal that the Rangers are either going to overpay Josh Hamilton or overpay Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers for Justin Upton. Rangers GM Jon Daniels is so focused on Upton that he figures to eventually land him, writes Rosenthal.
    It's not completely out of the question that the Rangers could acquire Upton and still sign Hamilton now that Greinke is off the table.
    Anibal Sanchez is a long shot for the Rangers, but he's on their radar. A trade for R.A. Dickey is also unlikely at this point.
    The team is said to prefer lower-cost starters and could pursue someone like Chris Capuano in a trade to provide an upgrade over Martin Perez.
    The Rangers are interested in A.J. Pierzynski, who would obviously push Geovany Soto into a backup role. Pierzynsnki's left-handed bat would help to balance a heavily right-handed lineup.
    Ian Kinsler isn't big on the idea of shifting to first base one year into his five-year extension in order to allow Jurickson Profar to play second base, but he will play wherever he's asked.
    Daniels tells Rosenthal he's not planning on Kinsler switching positions yet and is considering all possible scenarios for the 2013 roster.
    A three-team deal with the Rangers, Diamondbacks and Indians was "very close" to happening at the Winter Meetings. The foundation of the deal was Upton to Texas, Cabrera to Arizona, and Mike Olt and one of Trevor Bauer or Patrick Corbin to Cleveland. Presumably, other names were involved.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#LtTzeq6i8U7IMh4B.99
    So now we get to overpay for Hamilton or Upton. And the end result? It does little but maintain the status quo. We didn't win with Hamilton and the others we've lost this season, so how will we win with him minus the guys we've let walk? And while I like Upton's upside and youth, let's face it, he's not going to be as good as Hamilton here...not right away.

As for pitching...I'm about ****ing sick and tired of going the cheap route with rotation guys. Jason Jennings didn't work. Rich Harden didn't work. Scott Feldman had to go to the bullpen to find limited success. Brandon Webb never pitched. Roy Oswalt didn't work....and the list goes on. Now we're thinking of dealing for a Capuano???

I'm glad Darvish has worked out (even though it's only a year sample) and I feel pretty good about Harrison. Ogando needs to prove he can pitch a full season in the rotation, though, Holland needs to prove himself to be consistent and Perez needs to prove he can beat MLB hitters. We're seriously one injury away from really being in a bind here.

Again, I look at all the ways this team has downgraded itself. Then I look at all the possible ways to improve it. I just can't see us being able to improve this team more than where it was when they lost a one-game playoff last year. There certainly aren't any cheap solutions like Nolan & Co. want.

I've lost faith in this organization and sadly, I don't see this team being any more than what Y2K has described...a good team (not great) for the next few years. Maybe we get completely lucky and sneak back into World Series, but I wouldn't put my money on this team...not with other teams in the AL going out and doing whatever it takes to improve themselves. And besides, even if we did sneak in, there are multiple NL teams better than what we have here.

vCash

What a ridiculous comparison. I want my team to actually sign a real pitcher or take a gamble on a huge free agent. I want what all the hype was about when our current ownership group was bidding. Instead, they spent all that money to sit here and pretend they're the ****ing Rays.

I continue to remind everyone who wished for this group that we could have had Cuban, who I have ABSOLUTELY no doubt that he would have spent. Instead we got bums for owners. I hate owners who treat the sport too much like a business and care more about profit than winning.

Comparing the idea of getting Greinke (or Lee) or anyone else to the Marlins is just absurd.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzik View Post
    What a ridiculous comparison. I want my team to actually sign a real pitcher or take a gamble on a huge free agent. I want what all the hype was about when our current ownership group was bidding. Instead, they spent all that money to sit here and pretend they're the ****ing Rays.

I continue to remind everyone who wished for this group that we could have had Cuban, who I have ABSOLUTELY no doubt that he would have spent. Instead we got bums for owners. I hate owners who treat the sport too much like a business and care more about profit than winning.

Comparing the idea of getting Greinke (or Lee) or anyone else to the Marlins is just absurd.
    I've been saying it since Nolan took over...this team is nothing more than a platform for Nolan to sell his beef. I semi-believe this too.

Honestly, I think Nolan would like to win, but not at the expense of profit margins. In fact, I'm starting to believe Nolan only cares about winning enough games to get people to come out and spend more money at The Ballpark. This can be evidenced by the plethora of money we seem to have for ballpark upgrades, even when we don't have money for proven players.

You're dead on about Cuban...he's a fans owner and I know from a buddy of mine that used to work with the Mavs that he actually lost money building a winner a few years back. That's how much he wanted to win.

I also find it ironic that Nolan can't seem to nail down a pitcher here. Even if you pretend we are paupers like the Rays or Marlins (which we're not) and can't afford to pay one on the FA market, not once has Nolan & Co. made an effort to deal for one that we would control for more than a year. I seriously have to wonder if Ryan has ego issues and can only allow himself to be the greatest pitcher the Rangers have ever/will ever have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    You're dead on about Cuban...he's a fans owner and I know from a buddy of mine that used to work with the Mavs that he actually lost money building a winner a few years back. That's how much he wanted to win.
    Just to note on this point, this isn't really a secret. It wasn't one year that Cuban lost money, the Mavs franchise consistently posts negative financial numbers year in and year out. Perot even tried suing Cuban because the Mavs don't make a profit. Know how Cuban covers the red? Out of his own pocket.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

vCash
    The Rangers have just changed their team slogan to 'Almost'....

We ALMOST won a World Series, twice....

We ALMOST made the playoffs last year...

We ALMOST signed Lee...

We ALMOST signed Grienke...

We ALMOST made a trade for an ace...

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    looking to trade for Capuano? are you ****ing kidding me?!?!?!?!....have they not learned their lesson of trading for guys coming from success in the NL?...IT DOES NOT TRANSLATE TO SUCCESS IN THE AL!!!.....when will they get their heads around that? And not only that, but Capuano ****ing sucks, having MILD success at best at times in his whole career in the NL and they really expect him to be an upgrade over Perez? He will get destroyed in our park, I would much rather see Perez go through his growing pains than watch that guy pitch.....****ing idiots we have in the FO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzik View Post
    Just to note on this point, this isn't really a secret. It wasn't one year that Cuban lost money, the Mavs franchise consistently posts negative financial numbers year in and year out. Perot even tried suing Cuban because the Mavs don't make a profit. Know how Cuban covers the red? Out of his own pocket.
    That's what I meant. HE, himself, lost money...in that it came out of his own pocket.

That's how bad he wants to win.

vCash
    We have one of the higher payrolls in baseball, and now our ownership is cheap? LMAO you guys crack me up. Since they haven't done anything big this offseason, you are gonna label them in a way that is completely untrue.

vCash
    Well it looks like Justin Upton is now not going to be traded that the D'Backs got there SS in the 3 way trade tonight.Its just another strike out this off season which is slowly turning into a nightmarish off season.I guess we are hoping for Annibal Sanchez and maybe Nick Swisher and i pray that we re sign Josh Hamilton.Our lineup has gotten lots weaker this off season for sure.

vCash
    We have one of the higher payrolls in baseball, and now our ownership is cheap? LMAO you guys crack me up. Since they haven't done anything big this offseason, you are gonna label them in a way that is completely untrue.
    Once again, which pitcher have they signed? The only reason our payroll is rising is because players are getting older and in to arbitration. If you're not willing to spend money on an ace, who gives a **** what else you do spend money on. We've tried the offense route, it has never worked out for us.

And with the money they're getting? They are cheap. Record ticket sales (AFTER raising ticket prices the last two years) and the TV contract, which they pretend like they don't have access to, despite the fact it has already been reported with numerous sources they effectively got a signing bonus, so part of the money they've had since signing the contract. Add in the fact that record attendance means more revenue at the park from merchandise and food (and considering I've worked now at two places, in management, that sell food very similar to the ballpark, at exorbitant prices for huge profit). Yeah, they're cheap. They could easily cover much more.
    Dr. Seuss

vCash
    And now we're looking at a payroll significantly lower than last season. So what are they gonna do...pretend not to be cheap and go blow money just to meet their payroll? As if Pierzynski and Hamilton will win this team a championship.

The front office is a ****ing joke. No wonder Michael Young didn't have a good relationship with them.

vCash
    For every free agent you pay 20mil a year for 5-10 years the next super star in the minors ready to break out.

LAA best players are from the farm not Pujos, Wilson, Hunter and Wells.

a few 2010-2012 rookies
    Trout LLA
    Pacheco COL
    Cespedes OAK
    Trumbo LLA
    Freeman ATL
    Posey SF
    Castro CHC
    Freese STL
    Jackson DET

Pitching
    Darvish
    Miley ARI
    Milone OAK
    Parker OAK
    Moore TB
    Diamond MIN
    Nova NYY
    Hellickson TB
    Pineda SEA
    Garcia STL
    Strasburg WSH
    Agaondo- was an allstar!

My point is that the Rangers don't need to press and make long term commitments that will deplete the farm system or pay guys big money that other guys can do for cheaper.

Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast