Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Do not resign Bourn. That's a start. He had a pretty decent season. Wheels already coming off and he was worthless towards the end of the season. He will demand BIG money and you'll all be whining in 3 years.
    I'm not sure of who's on the market but I know Hamilton should NOT be considered nor do I think he is being considered. Love the big guy but it's just not smart money.
    I think Wren will pursue talent in the outfield via trade. We have pitching depth which is of course a premium.
    Prado moves to third, I think or Uggla gets traded and Prado reverts to second where his value would be massive and certainly earn him an All-Star spot. In that scenario we move Francisco to third and we're now seeking 2 outfielders. Sign Swisher to a reasonable contract, put him in left and find a centerfielder?
    Dunno.
    I would give Francisco a shot at 3d. His defense will improve and his power will replace Uggla's easily. The batting average will probably be neutral there.
    Pitching looks great. Bullpen looks great.
    McCann is a question mark right now. I can't decide yet what's really going on there and how bad the shoulder is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yakubripper View Post
    Do not resign Bourn. That's a start. He had a pretty decent season. Wheels already coming off and he was worthless towards the end of the season. He will demand BIG money and you'll all be whining in 3 years.
    I'm not sure of who's on the market but I know Hamilton should NOT be considered nor do I think he is being considered. Love the big guy but it's just not smart money.
    I think Wren will pursue talent in the outfield via trade. We have pitching depth which is of course a premium.
    Prado moves to third, I think or Uggla gets traded and Prado reverts to second where his value would be massive and certainly earn him an All-Star spot. In that scenario we move Francisco to third and we're now seeking 2 outfielders. Sign Swisher to a reasonable contract, put him in left and find a centerfielder?
    Dunno.
    I would give Francisco a shot at 3d. His defense will improve and his power will replace Uggla's easily. The batting average will probably be neutral there.
    Pitching looks great. Bullpen looks great.
    McCann is a question mark right now. I can't decide yet what's really going on there and how bad the shoulder is.
    We aren't going to be able to trade Uggla, not a chance in hell that happens. We're stuck with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    I think we should let Mac walk.. He's most likely to be hurt for pretty much all of the offseason after he gets this shoulder surgery, and he was just horrible this year. I think that $12 million option is just too much of a gamble, so I'd rather see Bethancourt get his shot. Christian's hitting would be really, really bad in the majors next year, but his defense would be alright. Maybe if we don't think he's MLB ready, we could sign someone like AJ Pierzynski to a 2 year/15 million dollar deal, just to give Bethancourt some more time in the minors.
    I have no clue at this point what to expect from McCann going forward, but I really don't see what better option we have. Bethancourt had a .566 OPS this season...at AA. That would translate to somewhere in the .300s in the majors. Literally he'd be hitting something like .130/.150/.180. It'd be absolutely, historically bad. By a significant margin. It's just not a choice, regardless of how good his defense is. And you'd rather have Pierzynski at $7.5 million (plus another $7.5 million committed for 2014) than McCann at $12 million? Pierzynski is older and has had approximately three seasons out of the last nine that were significantly better even than McCann's 2012 (not to mention the rest of McCann's career).

Quote Originally Posted by devildogdco View Post
    Or you could keep Bethancourt in the Minors and split the catching duties between Ross and Gattis? Just an idea.
    Gattis is not a major-league catcher. They tried everything they could to keep him behind the plate, but he just doesn't have the receiving skills. And David O'Brien tweeted today flat out that the Braves aren't going to make Ross an everyday player for the first time in his career at age 36.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    I know, but I just don't feel comfortable giving a huge deal to a guy who will be 30 before you know it and can't seem to handle the physical demands of the catcher position.

His offense has been on a steady decline for the past few years, and his defense can only go down as well. I'd just rather use that money on Bourn/an ace.
    The Braves don't have to give McCann a huge deal to keep him for 2013. They hold a $12 million option, which is actually pretty darn reasonable for a catcher even if he doesn't bounce all the way back. Having an extra $12 million for Bourn or an ace is a nice thought, but someone still has to catch and that's going to cost a significant part of that $12 million savings. Plus, it's becoming pretty clear that Bourn is going to be overpaid...definitely wouldn't go out of my way to save money for him.

Prado moves to third, I think or Uggla gets traded and Prado reverts to second where his value would be massive and certainly earn him an All-Star spot.
    Uggla cannot be traded. For the amount of money that the Braves would have to eat to make a deal happen, they wouldn't be able to replace the production he does still give them.

vCash
    Why not let Mac walk, let CB take over catching duties, and have Ross back him up in a mentor role a la Jack Wilson with our SS's. Ross can start 1-2 times a week and he'll be there if CB hits an Uggla-uggly cold streak. That would free up so much more money for us to lets say resign Bourn and trade for a good young 3B.

Our rotation and Pen are set, no Greinke no nothing. I believe if we don't let Mac walk then we won't get Bourn back, and in that case we will be trading for both a CF and 3B or LF since we are blessed with Prado able to play both positions. I could really see Wren surprise the entire league by grabbing some key players in trades. Would be crazy if we could get Middlebrooks and Ellsbury for something like Teheran Delgado and Ahmed that would be nice. We already know the Sox are starting over with new players, and last time I checked their rotation is atrocious and by Big Papi's recent comments it makes me believe that Lester will be traded soon along with a lot of players. He said their team is "infected by bad apples, and you can't think just because you took one bad apple out theres no more. That apple infected a lot of other apples." He takes apples seriously.
    Last edited by oufanatic14; 10-08-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Braves Pelicans Raiders

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oufanatic14 View Post
    Why not let Mac walk, let CB take over catching duties, and have Ross back him up in a mentor role a la Jack Wilson with our SS's. Ross can start 1-2 times a week and he'll be there if CB hits an Uggla-uggly cold streak. That would free up so much more money for us to lets say resign Bourn and trade for a good young 3B.

Our rotation and Pen are set, no Greinke no nothing. I believe if we don't let Mac walk then we won't get Bourn back, and in that case we will be trading for both a CF and 3B or LF since we are blessed with Prado able to play both positions. I could really see Wren surprise the entire league by grabbing some key players in trades. Would be crazy if we could get Middlebrooks and Ellsbury for something like Teheran Delgado and Ahmed that would be nice. We already know the Sox are starting over with new players, and last time I checked their rotation is atrocious and by Big Papi's recent comments it makes me believe that Lester will be traded soon along with a lot of players. He said their team is "infected by bad apples, and you can't think just because you took one bad apple out theres no more. That apple infected a lot of other apples." He takes apples seriously.
    I wouldn't do that trade in a million years.. Middlebrooks is severely overrated, he doesn't walk and strikes out too much, plus Ellsbury just can not stay healthy.. at all.

vCash
    If I'm wren I'm trying to call the Mets about wright. perfect replacement for chip...Delgado and Hanson plus one might get deal done ...its his contract only issue he wants 100m but back load it.

vCash
    And anyone who thinks swish will leave the Yankees is crazy. add to that Atlanta isn't a huge draw for free agents and now chip is gone so it will be worse. I'm expecting more trades then free agents.

vCash
    Yes Wright would be the perfect fit to replace Chipper (seems like we've been saying that for +3 years now) but his money would be too much for us. Wren already said he will be getting 2 really good players, just won't overpay on any one player. I also don't think he's worth that money either, his power numbers in recent years have dipped, and he's constantly injured.

Braves Pelicans Raiders

vCash
    Talkingchop just did a breakdown of the teams payroll next year.

Which can be found here

rotation next year should cost the Braves around $22 million
    bullpen will only cost the Braves about $10 million in 2013
    total allocation for the lineup is currently just $35 million
    In total payroll
    approximately $70 million
    And if one considers Prado the starting third baseman, then the team only has two outfield spots to fill, several bench spots, and approximately $25 to $30 million to spend.
    Sgt Devildog
    USMC

Its Not A Religion its a Faith... Semper Fi
    Braves Fan For Life!

vCash
    while highly unlikely any team would trade for uggla i would not say it is impossible since baseball has no salary cap but it would take a dumb gm to make that trade

as for mccann there is no way i let him walk and instead i trade him because there will be teams lining up like the yankees and redsox and others that will want him where he could catch and DH

vCash
    Is Coco Crisp a FA? He could probably be had for 3/21. That would leave approx. 15-18 million for a LF or 3b. Swisher could be in play at that rate.

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jailedgiantsfan
    add to that Atlanta isn't a huge draw for free agents and now chip is gone so it will be worse. I'm expecting more trades then free agents.
    Don't kid yourself, most players will go wherever the money is. With or without Jones, Atlanta is a Top 10 US market, and the Braves have a playoff roster, young talent, and stability in the front office. This isn't Kansas City or San Diego.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 10-08-2012 at 12:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    Don't kid yourself, most players will go wherever the money is. With or without Jones, Atlanta is a Top 10 US market, and the Braves have a playoff roster, young talent, and stability in the front office. This isn't Kansas City or San Diego.
    Yea I mean This is about as big of a Market as you can get without being a BIG market club.
    Sgt Devildog
    USMC

Its Not A Religion its a Faith... Semper Fi
    Braves Fan For Life!

vCash
    Everybody, I don't care who you are or how much you think you know, is wrong if they think Uggla can't be traded. Sorry. Your just wrong. There is no rule in baseball that says Dan Uggla cannot be traded from the Braves.
    The question is how REALISTIC it is that Uggla gets traded. That's the only question. All of this "uggla can't be traded" talk is crap.
    As I've stated before....if Danny Ferry can trade Joe Johnson, another guy that "couldn't be traded"...Wren can move Uggla.
    If you disagree, then you are wrong.

vCash
    Everybody, I don't care who you are or how much you think you know, is wrong if they think Uggla can't be traded. Sorry. Your just wrong. There is no rule in baseball that says Dan Uggla cannot be traded from the Braves.
    The question is how REALISTIC it is that Uggla gets traded. That's the only question. All of this "uggla can't be traded" talk is crap.
    As I've stated before....if Danny Ferry can trade Joe Johnson, another guy that "couldn't be traded"...Wren can move Uggla.
    If you disagree, then you are wrong.
    The NBA is a completely different game, and Joe Johnson is actually serviceable.

Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast