Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 1006
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,210
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo
    Well the D-Backs don't really need SP. They have Cahill,Kennedy,Hudson,Miley, Bauer, Skaggs, Bradley. Actually that's probably the only team in the league with more pitching depth than us.
    I know, but whether those guys are ready next season remains to be seen. Think about it: The Braves finished Top 5 in team ERA both last year and this year, yet even we are still kinda sorta looking for a front end starter. Everyone in here wants Grienke. Arizona knows, like we know, that you can never have enough reliable arms, especially in the NL with rotations like the Cards, Giants, Nats, Phillies, Dodgers, etc looking stout for next season. If you want to compete, you need to be DEEP.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,210
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22
    I would really like Jonny Gomes in a platoon role. He has a career line of .284.382.512 against LHP.
    I've always liked him, but my guess is Wren tries to bring back Reed Johnson for the 4th OF role.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 10-14-2012 at 06:45 PM.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,886
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    I know, but whether those guys are ready next season remains to be seen. Think about it: The Braves finished Top 5 in team ERA both last year and this year, yet even we are still kinda sorta looking for a front end starter. Everyone in here wants Grienke. Arizona knows, like we know, that you can never have enough reliable arms, especially in the NL with rotations like the Cards, Giants, Nats, Phillies, Dodgers, etc looking stout for next season. If you want to compete, you need to be DEEP.
    Agreed. But in my opinion if they are trading Upton, the centerpiece of a deal should be a position player.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,210
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo
    Agreed. But in my opinion if they are trading Upton, the centerpiece of a deal should be a position player.
    Maybe so, but that doesn't mean we should be the one to give it to them, simply because, once again, the Braves can't afford it. Wren can find a pitching-hungry team with a surplus of position players (like KC, etc) to make a 3-way deal work if necessary.

    Look at where Atlanta ranked offensively in various categories this season -- 17th in runs, 21st in BA, 13th in OBP, 22nd in slugging. Then let it soak in that the Braves are already losing 2 of their 5 best hitters. Look at the depth and stats in that Cardinals lineup, that's the measuring stick going forward. The Braves cannot afford to get rid of any bats; they need to be stockpiling, not merely switching out, because replacing one bat with another won't change things that much.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kris Medlen's Bed
    Posts
    10,093
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    I've always liked him, but my guess is Wren tries to bring back Reed Johnson for the 4th OF role.
    If its between the two then we should target Gomes. Gomes will walk more and hit for way more power but of course will be more expensive.


    The Cult of Gattis

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In the gym
    Posts
    2,343
    vCash
    1500
    Reed Johnson seems valuable bench player. Hits well for avg and can play all 3 outfield positions...

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    91,659
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    I've always liked him, but my guess is Wren tries to bring back Reed Johnson for the 4th OF role.
    That's possible but I believe Reed may want to return to the Cubs more. Just a hunch though..however, money can talk.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,180
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    Maybe so, but that doesn't mean we should be the one to give it to them, simply because, once again, the Braves can't afford it. Wren can find a pitching-hungry team with a surplus of position players (like KC, etc) to make a 3-way deal work if necessary.

    Look at where Atlanta ranked offensively in various categories this season -- 17th in runs, 21st in BA, 13th in OBP, 22nd in slugging. Then let it soak in that the Braves are already losing 2 of their 5 best hitters. Look at the depth and stats in that Cardinals lineup, that's the measuring stick going forward. The Braves cannot afford to get rid of any bats; they need to be stockpiling, not merely switching out, because replacing one bat with another won't change things that much.
    Very well stated. Chipper and Prado were the only ones with +.350 OBP. We're losing one. We need like 4 more guys with +.350 OBP to compete with S.L.
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    91,659
    vCash
    1500
    That or increase our SLG...and that doesn't always mean more homers. We need a smart and disciplined offense, one that will buy into the fundamentals..that won't be afraid to take the walk when necessary.

    That .697 OPS with runners in scoring position with a stacked lineup (talent wise) is quite pathetic though.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    4,009
    vCash
    1500
    besides Juan Francisco's power, he is not the answer to our 162 game 3B. of course there's days off but he defense over Prado's isn't an idea move. plus Prado has a much better bat. Juan swings at balls in the dirt and watches one go rite down the middle. he is too inconsistent and his range is average. I wonder what kind of package would it take to get a CarGo, or josh willingham. only thing is Carlos gonzo is a LH but a good one none the less. and NO to bj Upton, michael young and justin upton.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    4,009
    vCash
    1500
    i say switch Prado to 3rd, trade for a LF, and try to resign Bourn. If not, then we can count on FW to get something good done. Remember, he said they are looking to add PREMIUM players, not just some guys to come fill in. so be on the
    lookout for something to get done early
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    7,269
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    Maybe so, but that doesn't mean we should be the one to give it to them, simply because, once again, the Braves can't afford it. Wren can find a pitching-hungry team with a surplus of position players (like KC, etc) to make a 3-way deal work if necessary.

    Look at where Atlanta ranked offensively in various categories this season -- 17th in runs, 21st in BA, 13th in OBP, 22nd in slugging. Then let it soak in that the Braves are already losing 2 of their 5 best hitters. Look at the depth and stats in that Cardinals lineup, that's the measuring stick going forward. The Braves cannot afford to get rid of any bats; they need to be stockpiling, not merely switching out, because replacing one bat with another won't change things that much.
    i couldn't care less how we rank vs the al. it's a different ballgame over there.
    HAWKS 13 -- 14 PREMIERS




    "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,210
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID
    That's possible but I believe Reed may want to return to the Cubs more. Just a hunch though..however, money can talk.
    You could be right. We'll see how it plays out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Getting UGGLA
    Very well stated. Chipper and Prado were the only ones with +.350 OBP. We're losing one. We need like 4 more guys with +.350 OBP to compete with S.L.
    There's some truth to that, but remember it goes beyond OBP. The team did a decent job of getting guys on base all season, drew the 2nd-most walks in baseball (567):

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...rd_batting::15

    But they didn't drive 'em in often enough, see the link below:

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...rd_batting::12

    The low Team Slugging % shows they weren't getting enough extra base hits this season, and Prado's 58 XBHs was tied for second on the team with Freeman. Heyward led the way with 63. MP is more valuable than a lot of people think.
    Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki
    i couldn't care less how we rank vs the al. it's a different ballgame over there
    Yeah, but you get what I'm saying. Overall, their offense was just average even by NL standards, which was an improvement from the embarrassment in 2011, but still average.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 10-15-2012 at 09:28 AM.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9,042
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by westside View Post
    besides Juan Francisco's power, he is not the answer to our 162 game 3B. of course there's days off but he defense over Prado's isn't an idea move. plus Prado has a much better bat. Juan swings at balls in the dirt and watches one go rite down the middle. he is too inconsistent and his range is average. I wonder what kind of package would it take to get a CarGo, or josh willingham. only thing is Carlos gonzo is a LH but a good one none the less. and NO to bj Upton, michael young and justin upton.
    Okay Westside, stay with me here. I'm trying to get a beat on your train of thought.

    You say not to an Justin Upton trade but Yes to looking into a Cargo trade. There career numbers are very close without Justin having the advantage of hitting at Coors field for half the season. Justin is also RH, has hit lefty's well, and has hit the ball well at turner field. Witth them being of similar age, can you please explain why you prefer Cargo over Justin? Thanks.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9,042
    vCash
    1500
    CRAZY QUESTION:

    If the Yanks where willing to eat 80+% of A-Rods contract, would you take him for a C level spec?

Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •