Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogdco View Post
    My bad I was thinking Simmons when I read that
    He was talking about Simmons, wasn't he?

vCash
    even if braves did trade for starlin castro as soon as he became a brave he would be making a trade with prado with prado getting the SS glove and Starlin getting the outfield glove.

did you even look up castro defense numbers his bat is might be great but no team that builds around pitchers like the braves is going to have castro D at SS the guy made close to 30 errors for the third time in his young career

vCash
    as for not needing maholm that is stupid because i hope beachy comes back but you can never predict and count on it because there is always a chance of a setback.

Medlen, Minor and Hudson are the only three you can really count on next year because beachy might or might not be back, tommy hanson has been shaky lately, delgado and teheran no matter how talented you think they are will not be hurt by getting another year in the minors

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HowFit View Post
    He was talking about Simmons, wasn't he?
    He was, but the convo was about Rev........ No harm, no foul.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wcg View Post
    even if braves did trade for starlin castro as soon as he became a brave he would be making a trade with prado with prado getting the SS glove and Starlin getting the outfield glove.

did you even look up castro defense numbers his bat is might be great but no team that builds around pitchers like the braves is going to have castro D at SS the guy made close to 30 errors for the third time in his young career
    Again the kid just signed an ext during the season. He's not going anywhere anytime soon. Theo in Chi is not like the Marlins GM....... But if the Braves where even discussing Castro it would be for 3B! Simmons has SS locked down. To my knowledge Castro has never played the OF and A move to the OF is not as easy as Prado made it look. But since he won't be traded this year anyway, I guess this is all just food for thought.

vCash
    I am not going to blast anybody, but how is a ROOKIE SS that did what Simmons did garbage? I agree with several of your players you put up there, but not this kid. Of course he buckled in the WC game, so did the 19 year vet, that doesn't mean we get another SS. I'm sorry but I expect this kid to be very special.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wcg View Post
    as for not needing maholm that is stupid because i hope beachy comes back but you can never predict and count on it because there is always a chance of a setback.

Medlen, Minor and Hudson are the only three you can really count on next year because beachy might or might not be back, tommy hanson has been shaky lately, delgado and teheran no matter how talented you think they are will not be hurt by getting another year in the minors
    $6.5M for Maholm is a good price, if you want to cut him you pay $0.5M Keeping him next year frees you to trade a Tommy Hanson and let Delgado or Teheran to hold the 5th spot until July when Beachy will be back (at the earliest)

Trading Hanson would shed roughly $3.5M from next years payroll (.5M this year roughly 4M next year through 1st round of arb) and could net us real specs

Bottom line for me I would rather pay 6.5M for Maholm to be my 4/5 than pay Hanson 4M next year to fill the same role. And in my situations you could net a Latos (lite) deal.
    Sgt Devildog
    USMC

Its Not A Religion its a Faith... Semper Fi
    Braves Fan For Life!

vCash
    If you think getting rid of a rookie SS with phenomenal talent based on the performance of one game is a logical move, your dreams of becoming a GM have swiftly died.

Simmons is our SS for at least the next half-decade, hopefully longer.

We're going to have to re-sign Bourn. We're probably going to have to pay a hefty price to do it as well. 5/75 doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility, considering how thin the free agent market is. That figure might even be a tad low. Whomever Wren gets to play center field, will almost surely double as the leadoff hitter, I can't think of many AVAILABLE center fielders that fit the bill if Wren were to go for a trade.

Non-tender Jurrjens, or throw him in a trade for a marquee starting pitcher. Josh Johnson could be a prime target(injury history scares me though). Marlins seem like they want to clean house and given their trade history(Delgado to Mets, et all), they don't have a problem dealing within the division.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogdco View Post
    $6.5M for Maholm is a good price, if you want to cut him you pay $0.5M Keeping him next year frees you to trade a Tommy Hanson and let Delgado or Teheran to hold the 5th spot until July when Beachy will be back (at the earliest)

Trading Hanson would shed roughly $3.5M from next years payroll (.5M this year roughly 4M next year through 1st round of arb) and could net us real specs

Bottom line for me I would rather pay 6.5M for Maholm to be my 4/5 than pay Hanson 4M next year to fill the same role. And in my situations you could net a Latos (lite) deal.
    I think you'll find Hanson will be much improved next year. This year was a transition year as far as his mechanics go and the Braves are trying to implement a full cycle arm rotation(what most pitchers have) over the pulling-a-bow-and-arrow type motion that Hanson currently employs.

They were in the process of changing it during Spring Training last year, but the Braves(and most pitching coaches as a general rule of thumb) don't change mechanics or mess with them in any way once the season starts. I expect them to make far greater strides this offseason/ST and you'll be seeing an ace-like Hanson next year, or at least the beginnings of his promise.

Another benefit of the changed rotation is less stress on the arm, which equates to less likelihood of injury, barring any freak occurence.

So, I'd say that $4M for Hanson would be a steal, especially considering he'll be our #2 or #3 pitcher, rather than a #4 or #5.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves14 View Post
    If you think getting rid of a rookie SS with phenomenal talent based on the performance of one game is a logical move, your dreams of becoming a GM have swiftly died.

Simmons is our SS for at least the next half-decade, hopefully longer.
    100% agree!

We're going to have to re-sign Bourn. We're probably going to have to pay a hefty price to do it as well. 5/75 doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility, considering how thin the free agent market is. That figure might even be a tad low. Whomever Wren gets to play center field, will almost surely double as the leadoff hitter, I can't think of many AVAILABLE center fielders that fit the bill if Wren were to go for a trade.
    No we don't have to re-sign Bourn, it would be nice, but we don't have to. And while you qoute the FA market as thin, it's not thin for CF'ers. Pegan, Victorino, and BJ Upton are all CF'ers that have exp in the lead-off hole. You also have Hamilton ( who we shouldn't sign), Scott Harison, and Granderson if the Yanks don't pick-up his option (even though I think they will). So no, the FA market for CF'ers is stacked a little and paying Bourn 15 mil a season does not sound reasonable at all to me. To much money committed to an all speed player heading into his 30's is not a good idea. 5yrs/ 50-55 mil is where I would aim as Braves GM. Other teams can afford to pay more, but we have to be reasonable.

Non-tender Jurrjens, or throw him in a trade for a marquee starting pitcher. Josh Johnson could be a prime target(injury history scares me though). Marlins seem like they want to clean house and given their trade history(Delgado to Mets, et all), they don't have a problem dealing within the division.
    Would love to have Josh, however IDK that they are going to give him away.
    Last edited by SB75; 10-09-2012 at 04:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballislife7 View Post
    I am not going to blast anybody, but how is a ROOKIE SS that did what Simmons did garbage? I agree with several of your players you put up there, but not this kid. Of course he buckled in the WC game, so did the 19 year vet, that doesn't mean we get another SS. I'm sorry but I expect this kid to be very special.
    That's why he needs a few years to develop under a better SS option. He throws temper tanrums, he ran out of the basepath and had a throwing error in our biggest game of the year. Ok, so Castro isn't an option because of his extension. What about former Brave Elvis Andrus, Alcides Escobar, JJ Hardy or Ian Desmond? All I'm saying is better options are out there and would give him time to develop and be a productive bench option. Granted, Washington might not dare let Ian go he popped 25 HR's, but the other 3 are pretty viable trade options. If we do start the year with Simmons I'm cool with it, I just think it might be smarter to give him a little more time to mature.

That all said we probably won't do anything at SS because Simmons is our cheapest option. That leaves us with the giant problems at 2B, C, LF and CF. I think we'll win the war for Hamilton, at least I sure hope we do, and he will cost around 22 million per year, maybe a 3 year 66 million dollar deal. He's making 15 million now. I wonder if we do some salary dumping if we'll have enough for B.J. Upton also.....I like someones idea earlier of bringing in both Upton's too if we can't get Hamilton. I like A.J. Pierzynski as BMAC's replacement. Other good FA's for our OF: Carlos Quentin, Andre Ethier, Torii Hunter and Angel Pagan. There's no reason why we can't fill both OF holes with two of these names. As for Uggla..........man, we might be stuck eating a portion of his salary, but we can't just keep playing with his giant lack of production and stupidity at the plate always swinging out of his shoes. I'm good bringing someone up from the minors or trading for a 2B prospect if we have to and leaving Uggs on the bench if that's what we have to do. It's really ridiculous he's such a giant expensive thorn in our side right now.
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves14 View Post
    I think you'll find Hanson will be much improved next year. This year was a transition year as far as his mechanics go and the Braves are trying to implement a full cycle arm rotation(what most pitchers have) over the pulling-a-bow-and-arrow type motion that Hanson currently employs.

They were in the process of changing it during Spring Training last year, but the Braves(and most pitching coaches as a general rule of thumb) don't change mechanics or mess with them in any way once the season starts. I expect them to make far greater strides this offseason/ST and you'll be seeing an ace-like Hanson next year, or at least the beginnings of his promise.

Another benefit of the changed rotation is less stress on the arm, which equates to less likelihood of injury, barring any freak occurence.

So, I'd say that $4M for Hanson would be a steal, especially considering he'll be our #2 or #3 pitcher, rather than a #4 or #5.
    You haven't sold me... you just said hopes and dreams that this should work. I would rather get specs and then after next year you let Maholm walk and then you have Medlen, Minor, Beachy, Teheran, Delgado (assuming Hudson retires or walks). Trade Hanson while he still has value and is controlable for 3 years (I think its 3). Vice letting a servicible pitcher walk away for nothing and then Hanson walk away for nothing (Boras client) or face plan like JJ did this year. If you want to role the dice on Hanson then by all means that is your opinion. You have done nothing to sway me from my stance.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this matter?
    Sgt Devildog
    USMC

Its Not A Religion its a Faith... Semper Fi
    Braves Fan For Life!

vCash
    The Braves' season ended in a game that will be remembered for a controversial call last week, as did the likely Hall of Fame career of Chipper Jones. With a feeling that he could only describe as "emptiness," general manager Frank Wren talked with David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution about the playoffs, his team's upcoming offseason and several of the decisions they'll have to make...

Wren suggested that he's not a fan of the Wild Card format and that he'd like to see the system amended to give the Wild Card teams a three-game series, beginning with a day-night double-header.
    He also said that it's worth revisiting the trade deadline, which Wren feels is "pretty early for the current system." August 15 would be a more logical date for teams to determine whether or not they want to push for the Wild Card, in Wren's estimation.
    Wren says he's looking forward to a "focused" offseason. The front office recognizes that they have to replace Jones at third base, and they hope to retain Michael Bourn, whose contract expired at season's end. The team would like to address center field and the leadoff position in the same move -- a role which Bourn can obviously fill. The Braves contacted Bourn's representatives about an extension in Spring Training but were told to wait until after the season to engage in negotiations.
    Atlanta would love to have David Ross back in the fold in 2013. Wren spoke very highly of his backup catcher to O'Brien.
    The Braves chose not to have Brian McCann undergo an MRI with a dye injection during the season because the recovery is too long. McCann will undergo that test in the near future, which could reveal a need for surgery, but for the time being the Braves believe their catcher needs only rest to recover.
    Jason Heyward could handle center field "for a few days," but Wren and his associates don't view him as a long-term answer in center. Wren said he considers Heyward among the best defensive right fielders in the game and wouldn't want to diminish his defensive value by moving him.
    The Braves have options on McCann ($12MM), Tim Hudson ($8MM) and Paul Maholm ($6.5MM), and they'll address those decisions in the coming weeks.
    It would take a "very, very big piece" to trade Randall Delgado or Julio Teheran this winter. The trade market does figure to be in play for the Braves though, as Wren said he won't be "going outrageous salary-wise" on free agents. The team will be "looking for premium players," but Wren cautions they're not looking to add a player to the team as much as they are looking to add value. If they feel that adding two players can give them more than one premium name, they'll pursue that route instead.
    Jair Jurrjens' situation is different from Tommy Hanson's, in Wren's mind. Wren spoke more definitely of Hanson's future with the team than that of Jurrjens. The Braves "will have a determination" on Jurrjens' future this winter. Jurrjens earned $5.5MM in 2012 and is a non-tender candidate for 2013 in the mind of MLBTR's Ben Nicholson-Smith.
    Wren confirmed that the entire coaching staff will be offered the opportunity to return to the team.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/atlanta_braves/index.html

Hope this doesn't mean we're pu$sin out on Hamilton.
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

vCash
    Give it up there is no way that Frank Wren spends 100+ million on Josh Hamilton.

vCash
    I think Wren makes a move for an outfielder that can platoon in left and kills lefties. That opens Prado to play 3rd when a lefty is on the mound. It also means that Juan Fransisco is the 3rd baseman against righties. Resigning Ross, picking up the options on McCann and Maholm. A veteran ss and 1b. Pastornicky back to minors and then a CF option of about 10 mil per for 4-5 years. Maybe a B.J. Upton or Shane Victorino. possibly a trade for Denard Span. I wouldn't mind seeing Ichiro come over for about 2 years. He had a much better season when he moved to the Yanks.

Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast