Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Improving the offense

I think the most encouraging thing about the state of our franchise is how we resemble SF. Ballpark, climate, market and philosophy. Like SF our greatest strength is in pitching and defense with top of the line SP specs on the way. However, if we want to make the playoffs we need to be at least middle of the pack in offensive production which we are far from(while maintaining top 1/3 pitching and defense).

Below are different strategies that I see.

1. splurge in FA
    pros- instant fix(s), keep and develop young talent.
    cons- could make a bad investment, hinder us in FA in future years.

2. trade pitching for hitting
    pros- keep $ to play FA in future maybe more frutiful years, find a more suitable asset via trade than possibly reaching in FA.
    cons- compromise having a top young staff, could have to put $ in SP now or in future.

3. Be conservative (think complementary pieces in FA/trade market)
    pros- hold on to top assets, have $ for future FA, find a diamond in the rough, keep faith in young players
    cons- lack of offseason excitement after another last place hurts tix sales, keeps pressure on young (struggling) hitters, low expectations in 2013.

4. Franchise facelift (think trading felix, which may make sense if hes not extended, or ackley/seager/ zunino/ montero. replace half or more of lineup through multiple moves).
    pros- purge an awful lineup become talked about team again, find lightening in a bottle.
    cons- give up on sustainable success plan.

I know we have talked about alot of ideas and names for the offseason. Bottomline is we need to improve offense, would like to know your attitude more or less in addressing this.
    Last edited by Rain City; 10-29-2012 at 04:59 PM.

vCash
    Sorry, but replacing half the lineup will hurt this team.

They're built for the long haul and you're not getting young talent in return that's better.
    I'm In.

vCash
    im not suggesting all of these options, kinda impossible.

what would you do, FA, trade, next to nothing and wait for everyone to get better?

vCash
    All of the above.

Trade one of the left handers for a bat.
    Sign free agents. (I need to fully evaluate the class)
    Stick with our guys.
    I'm In.

vCash
    I would like to see us go after Greinke, however.
    I'm In.

vCash
    buy low on Melky. give him a 2 year cheap deal, something in the 5 mil per range and see what happens

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    I would like to see us go after Greinke, however.
    Love it! Sign Greinke, extend Felix, trade for upton instant contenders!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post
    Love it! Sign Greinke, extend Felix, trade for upton instant contenders!
    Yep. Well, I'd probably make a few other moves if possible. But, that's the gist.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Not feeling Upton at all for what it will cost. His splits are terrible.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    Yep. Well, I'd probably make a few other moves if possible. But, that's the gist.
    i dont think our offense needs multiple bats, it needs 1 bat with ackley, montero and smoak to make a progression. I think the bigger the bat the more it helps our younger guys to benefit.

i really hope we make a strong run at hamilton and greinke, and commit to signing the one that pencils out better.

i feel greinke can be a stud #2 for the next 2-5 years and wouldnt hurt me at all to deal walker as a key piece for upton. how is a felix, greinke, j-up trio not going to make the playoffs at least 1x in next 3 yrs. DO IT!

the down side is we will be in the 250mill range vested in 2 pitchers, a big no no to alot of GMs, this combo gives me enough reasons to take the risk tho.

if we are not going to go all the way with hamilton/greinke, i hope we dont settle with swish and pay in the $70mil range for a 3 hole hitter who will likely keep us in 4th, just spend way less on melky or ludwick.
    Last edited by Rain City; 10-30-2012 at 12:44 AM.

vCash
    I feel like Walker for Upton doesn't get it done. They have so much pitching its not even funny. If I'm them I hold out for a great SS/3B
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    since they made upton available maybe they'll just take value back, can stockpile pitching to trade for a bigger need.

i just love the idea of bringing greinke in.

can a walker based deal get bruce or cargo?

felix, greinke and cargo/upton/bruce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    I feel like Walker for Upton doesn't get it done. They have so much pitching its not even funny. If I'm them I hold out for a great SS/3B
    Let me ask you a question...would you deal Seager and a mid/high prospect for Upton. Seager's not a "great" SS/3B but his numbers in AZ would increase considerably. Throw in a mid/high prospect like Paxton...just neither of Walker/Hultzen.

vCash
    Seager can't play SS though.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seasun62 View Post
    Let me ask you a question...would you deal Seager and a mid/high prospect for Upton. Seager's not a "great" SS/3B but his numbers in AZ would increase considerably. Throw in a mid/high prospect like Paxton...just neither of Walker/Hultzen.
    what about Franklin, wells, paxton, V-Cat? maybe get a lower level spec back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast