Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 44 of 70 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    I'm sure they know a little more than we do. They talk to people. They know who is in.

And I have said before that the only way he or Hamilton get what they want is if a team comes out of nowhere. That's not what we are talking about tho. You don't plan for that. It's a surprise, so I leave it out. Why would you believe that will happen if there is no indication?
    Could be because it happens literally every single offseason.

vCash
    And that's exactly what I don't want.

Why the hell would we go up to 6/150 when everyone else is at 3/60? Why is that necessary? It's not, it just dumb.
    Sucking **** is dumb. Trying to win is smart. Competing with the big market teams who are kicking their ***** every night even though they have the means to be financially competitive is dumb. Being a pansy and being afraid to take a risk is dumb. Does Detroit think it was dumb to take a risk on Prince Fielder? No, they just got a triple crown and and a World Series out of it. Not to mention Verlander running away from Felix in the Cy Young competition pretty much due to wins alone that he was able to rack up with a quality offense behind him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FWBrodie View Post
    Sucking **** is dumb. Trying to win is smart. Competing with the big market teams who are kicking their ***** every night even though they have the means to be financially competitive is dumb. Being a pansy and being afraid to take a risk is dumb. Does Detroit think it was dumb to take a risk on Prince Fielder? No, they just got a triple crown and and a World Series out of it.
    Yeah no ****! Prince is getting no recognition for that. Hamilton would do wonders for our other hitters. Not turn them into triple crown guys, but you get the picture. Swisher would have no protection, and would not have the same effect on our young hitters.

vCash
    I'm not saying we don't have to pay him. But why do we have to beat everyone by 3 years and 90 million? If everyone else is at 3/60, can't we just go to 4/85 or 5/110 instead of 6/150?
    No one either thinks that will happen or wants that to happen. The whole "there's no market for Josh Hamilton" idea is ridiculous. There is/will be a significant market for the best hitter available. Teams no one has considered will get in and the usual suspects will be involved as well despite what all these "experts" are saying. The same experts say the same things every offseason. If Boston and New York aren't outwardly chasing a free agent, there's "no market this year." Well word to the wise, there's a market.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    With the Jays-Marlins trade, the Mariner should be on the phone about Stanton right now.
    Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FWBrodie View Post
    Sucking **** is dumb. Trying to win is smart. Competing with the big market teams who are kicking their ***** every night even though they have the means to be financially competitive is dumb. Being a pansy and being afraid to take a risk is dumb. Does Detroit think it was dumb to take a risk on Prince Fielder? No, they just got a triple crown and and a World Series out of it. Not to mention Verlander running away from Felix in the Cy Young competition pretty much due to wins alone that he was able to rack up with a quality offense behind him.
    I am not saying be *******. Im saying be smart. Hamilton comes with bigger risk than Price did.

The Tigers were one player away. We are more than that. One player cannot carry a team, and Hamilton could limit us in the future.

My point was that drew said everyone else would be at 3/60. Thats NOT a big market is it? If thats the market, we dont need to go 6/150 to get him. Thats my point.

Who do you see going hard after him except us and the Orioles? The Yanks have said they are out. Boston hasnt been a big name. Everyone knows how risky he is, and it will show in his market.

As for the Verlander thing, it wasnt just the wins. It was the 2.64 ERA compared to 3.06, while having similar FIP and xFIP. When Felix won the Cy in 2010 it became obvious that wins to matter too much anymore.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    I am not saying be *******. Im saying be smart. Hamilton comes with bigger risk than Price did.

The Tigers were one player away. We are more than that. One player cannot carry a team, and Hamilton could limit us in the future.

My point was that drew said everyone else would be at 3/60. Thats NOT a big market is it? If thats the market, we dont need to go 6/150 to get him. Thats my point.

Who do you see going hard after him except us and the Orioles? The Yanks have said they are out. Boston hasnt been a big name. Everyone knows how risky he is, and it will show in his market.

As for the Verlander thing, it wasnt just the wins. It was the 2.64 ERA compared to 3.06, while having similar FIP and xFIP. When Felix won the Cy in 2010 it became obvious that wins to matter too much anymore.
    Yankees and Red Sox always say they are not in it, but they will at least drive the price up. There is no way he doesnt get 100 million dollar contract. I think the Orioles might up their offer if they made one with the trade that Toronto just pulled off. I think the Rays could get in on him too. That trade changed some things for teams in the AL Least. I think we need to focus on the trade front if we are not going to pony up big time cash cause the players on the market that are worth a **** are going to get paid. They always do. If they don't, there is usually a reason. In the past there wasnt a market for Werth, Bay, and guys like Carlos Pena. And look how they have done with their new teams. Werth was ok last year, but not what he could have been. The rest were busts. So if the market picks up which it will for Hamilton, it will be worth it. If it doesnt, then there is probably a reason. I am betting it picks up.

vCash
    Im saying be smart. Hamilton comes with bigger risk than Price did.

Please explain.

No one is one player away.

No kidding.

Lots of teams. You should never EVER listen to what teams say this time of year, or for that matter what reporters are saying. It's about 70% horseshit, posturing, and blatant lying for various reasons. Don't tell me Boston won't be at least involved after their moves at the deadline. I don't buy that for a second.

All other things being equal, wins are a factor. Most other things were equal. Fact is players in these races put up similar lines sometimes and winning, playoffs, and press become deciding factors.

vCash
    Hamilton gets injured almost every year. You literally have to expect 125 games out of him. Drug Problems. Playing style and position.

They were much closer to contention than we are. One player but them over the top whereas we have a long ways to go.

No Kidding? How about you tell that to your buddy Drew since he is the one that implied that.
    Last edited by jej; 11-13-2012 at 08:24 PM.

vCash
    I believe if our young players make a progression, montero, ackley, Saunders, smoak, zunino, Seager... We are just 1 stud player away. Hamilton!

vCash
    Drug problems? When has that been a factor since he came back to baseball?

vCash
    Well he had a couple alcohol things, but thats not the point. Do you think drug abuse doesnt have an effect on a body? People think he is more like 34 now because of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    With the Jays-Marlins trade, the Mariner should be on the phone about Stanton right now.
    omg yes!

wtf was with that trade anyway? did miami get anybody of value

no Reyes, JJ, or Buehrle

vCash
    Marsnick, Nicolino are supposed to be pretty good, and Hech is a great defender, its the bat that holds him back

vCash
    i see. that what happens when you try to buy a playoff spot

Page 44 of 70 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast