Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 41 of 70 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    Brodie, what happens if he becomes Figgins?

An ineffective guy making $25M per could really hurt this team.
    WTF kind of question is that? Josh Hamilton is going to become Figgins? For ****s sake he's a 31 year old freak athlete with elite power. By that logic the Mariners should just bend over let every other team **** them in the *** in free agency every year. If he flops they eat some of the deal and deal him like every other aging overpriced veteran. The Angles traded for Vernon Wells. It's not the end of the world. The Mariners have enough money to make a mistake, but odds are that he's going to have some very good seasons over the next 5 years and that he'd be a giant relief of pressure for the entire young roster. I also think his presence would snowball into other positives such as increased attendance, increased interest from other free agents, happy Felix, etc. 5 years will be up and Prince and Pujols will still have a ton of years left at higher prices. 5 years of Hamilton is a damn steal.

vCash
    Giving him a contract scares me, but I don't think we can pass up any opportunity like this.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    I do think Hamilton would be sick in our lineup. It'd be nice to have an everyday superstar again.

vCash
    I don't like making predictions or over analyzing risks, the truth is all players have risks.

Angels gave pujols 240m as a 31yr old (questuonable) 1b... Tigers gave prince 214m and hes pushing 300 lbs (what other player is built like him), his dad had a sharp decline and he has no defensive value or on bases.

I think it's a blessing teams devalue Hamilton for his past, ever since he came back from his suspension he has been nothing but an absolute stud, this is not a doc gooden or strawberry case.

Bottom line we have good young offensive players that need a proven presence we have great pitching with top prospects on the way, we need a proven MOTO bat and even with all the risks that's exactly what Hamilton is.

vCash
    I'm just not interested in crippling the franchise, even if there is a chance it could also save it. I'd rather go cheaper for Swish, and add another bat through trade.

If Hamilton gets to the point where we want to trade him, who are we going to trade him to? People don't want 2/45 for a struggling player.

I am down with Ham for 4/88, but that's about it
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Brodie, why are you ignoring every single expert and pretending Hamilton comes with no risk?

If we can't trade Figgins and his measly contract, why would we be able to trade Hamilton?

I'm all for Hamilton. I'm just not comfortable giving him anything more than five years and I don't see him getting that or less. Sure, he comes with risk but the way the market has been the last few seasons with the absurd Fielder and Pujols signings, five years doesn't seem its gonna happen.

and you know what I mean about becoming Figgins.

I guess I have just one question. Do you think he'll get 5 years or less?

If he does, I'm ok with it. But I don't get the feeling that 5 will get it done. If I were Hamilton, I definitely wouldn't take five years when I saw Fielder and Pujols get ten.
    I'm In.

vCash
    I also think it could inhibit us from getting another bat too. We can go get Swisher and Gordon/Meyers. I just think getting Hamilton and one of them is a little "too good to be true", or at least too much to be true.

vCash
    I don't think it affects us now but it will if we decide to lock up our young guys for a while.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Well it's not just the money. It's just the thought of the Mariners getting that much in one offseason. Just hard for me to imagine that being likely the way we ***** foot around in the winter.

But I see what you are saying. 36 year old Hamiltom eating up a quarter of our payroll es no bueno.

vCash
    What do you guys think of Youkilis?
    I follow baseball a lot but i'm not good at offseason building roster; how much would he ask? and if you want it how much would you give him?

Ps I totally agree with the Hamilton-no-more-than-five-year thing..

vCash
    The likelihood of us getting Gordon/Myers isn't very high.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    I agree, but I think it goes down even more if we get Hamilton.

IMO, both of them make more sense than Hamilton. I don't see why we wouldn't be looking at them. We are perfect trade partners. If Jack doesn't at least recognize that, he isn't do his job.

Hultzen, Vargas and Miller for Gordon or Hultzen and a 4th OF type for Myers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Italian_Guy View Post
    What do you guys think of Youkilis?
    I follow baseball a lot but i'm not good at offseason building roster; how much would he ask? and if you want it how much would you give him?

Ps I totally agree with the Hamilton-no-more-than-five-year thing..
    Not a fan. I have no idea his asking price but we don't have a spot for him on this roster.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    I agree, but I think it goes down even more if we get Hamilton.

IMO, both of them make more sense than Hamilton. I don't see why we wouldn't be looking at them. We are perfect trade partners. If Jack doesn't at least recognize that, he isn't do his job.

Hultzen, Vargas and Miller for Gordon or Hultzen and a 4th OF type for Myers.
    While I can't speak 100% I do think Jack absolutely knows we match up perfectly with KC. Thry Royals already had scouts at Paxton's starts so I imagine they've talked extensively.
    I'm In.

vCash
    I'm guessing the hold up on a deal with KC is GMZ refusing to deal Hultzen. I think them taking him when nobody else saw it coming speaks to how they feel about him.

They very well could see him as Cole Hamels.
    I'm In.

Page 41 of 70 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast