Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 108 of 164 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 2459
  1. #1606
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6,788
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    Thought the same thing, also surprised Rich Hill was not DFA'd.
    He probably won't agree to a minor option later on as they tried last year.

  2. #1607
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,919
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    Surprised they added Hassan too. I don't think he would stick on a major league roster right now. 5 catchers definitely means they are going to try and trade a catcher.
    yup, a catcher or two will be traded

  3. #1608
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6,788
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalami View Post
    yup, a catcher or two will be traded
    Wouldn't they shopped them before already to create extra roster for Hazelbaker?

  4. #1609
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    34,782
    vCash
    1500
    They've never been high on Hazelbaker and I doubt he would stick with a team if he did get picked. The 40-man is full and this team is far from complete, more room will have to be created. The only reason you add Butler is if you want him to be your 3rd catcher. If it's Salty and Ross in the big leagues and Lavarnway is in AAA Butler is redundant.

  5. #1610
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wethersfield/Storrs, CT
    Posts
    8,859
    vCash
    1500
    The "we dont need to trade Salty" card holds no water.

  6. #1611
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,213
    vCash
    1500
    @JimBowdenESPNxm
    Tigers working on signing Stephen Drew to play SS then would trade Peralta to Arizona or Boston

    Interesting....

  7. #1612
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,213
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan85 View Post
    Ok you be the GM who would to trade to the tigers to get Johnny?
    Bullpen arm at best, Tigers just let Valverde walk

    I agree with Nomar, probably Aceves

  8. #1613
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    2,601
    vCash
    1500
    The more and more I think about it, I feel like we should have an all out fire sale. There really is enough out this year. We can trade off Lester, Clay, Ells, Pedi, Salty, Baily I mean can you imagine the haul we could get for those guys. Then turn around and start building this team right from the ground up. They have plenty of money to go get any FA they want and they would have to prospects to get anyone made available. If we traded off like 3 or 4 of those guys then just started picking guys up that we could control for years to come. Then we would almost certainly get another protected pick next year. by 2015 they could field a team that can contend and the team would be able to contend for 4 to 6 years. and by that time the guys we draft this year and next would be ready and we can potentially go on another run..

    Not saying this is what I want but just had the thought this morning

  9. #1614
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,039
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalami View Post
    yup, a catcher or two will be traded
    Or one will be dealt (Salty almost for sure), and one will be cut pending other needs/moves.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  10. #1615
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,039
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckus16969 View Post
    The more and more I think about it, I feel like we should have an all out fire sale. There really is enough out this year. We can trade off Lester, Clay, Ells, Pedi, Salty, Baily I mean can you imagine the haul we could get for those guys. Then turn around and start building this team right from the ground up. They have plenty of money to go get any FA they want and they would have to prospects to get anyone made available. If we traded off like 3 or 4 of those guys then just started picking guys up that we could control for years to come. Then we would almost certainly get another protected pick next year. by 2015 they could field a team that can contend and the team would be able to contend for 4 to 6 years. and by that time the guys we draft this year and next would be ready and we can potentially go on another run..

    Not saying this is what I want but just had the thought this morning
    I agree with the list to a point. Ells and Lester could have substantially more value at the deadline coming off of good 1st halves. I'm not giving any of them away, but I am looking for younger players with some control and/or good specs coming back.

    Pedroia could get you into a big deal with Cleveland. Buchholz could get a major return from a team in a pitchers park.

    The fan base won't mind seeing the likes of Salty and Aceves dealt. If we give it the old college try by signing say Napoli, Jackson, and snagging an OF, and we still suck at the deadline, the fans will accept the concept of dealing away much of the team, as long as real assets are coming back, and the FO promises to be a top 5 budget team for '14.

    IMO this sort of plan yields a superior future rather than spending wildly on this most weak of FA classes and trading for a number of broken down high priced players with "names" to keep a restive fan base occupied. If we trade off 4 of our top 8 specs in the bargain - all the worse.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 11-21-2012 at 09:07 AM.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  11. #1616
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    2,601
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    I agree with the list to a point. Ells and Lester could have substantially more value at the deadline coming off of good 1st halves. I'm not giving any of them away, but I am looking for younger players with some control and/or good specs coming back.

    Pedroia could get you into a big deal with Cleveland. Buchholz could get a major return from a team in a pitchers park.

    The fan base won't mind seeing the likes of Salty and Aceves dealt. If we give it the old college try by signing say Napoli, Jackson, and snagging an OF, and we still suck at the deadline, the fans will accept the concept of dealing away much of the team, as long as real assets are coming back, and the FO promises to be a top 5 budget team for '14.

    IMO this sort of plan yields a superior future rather than spending wildly on this most weak of FA classes and trading for a number of broken down high priced players with "names" to keep a restive fan base occupied. If we trade off 4 of our top 8 specs in the bargain - all the worse.
    Exactly why I was thinking like this. Its not like we don't have the money to be big spenders when the times right. This team can get really young and REALLY good

  12. #1617
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    80
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckus16969 View Post
    The more and more I think about it, I feel like we should have an all out fire sale. There really is enough out this year. We can trade off Lester, Clay, Ells, Pedi, Salty, Baily I mean can you imagine the haul we could get for those guys. Then turn around and start building this team right from the ground up. They have plenty of money to go get any FA they want and they would have to prospects to get anyone made available. If we traded off like 3 or 4 of those guys then just started picking guys up that we could control for years to come. Then we would almost certainly get another protected pick next year. by 2015 they could field a team that can contend and the team would be able to contend for 4 to 6 years. and by that time the guys we draft this year and next would be ready and we can potentially go on another run..

    Not saying this is what I want but just had the thought this morning
    While I certainly wouldn't trade off the whole team like that, I think they really need to consider who are the guys that are going to contribute when this team is actually competitive again. I think most of us can agree that the next season or two are probably going to be tough ones, but after that the future looks pretty bright with some of the guys down on the farm. So if we are looking at 2014/15 for when we are competitive again, which of these guys wont be around then.

    The obvious guy is Ellsbury and we all know his situation. If we can get a decent offer now I would take it. Would Seattle part with Taijuan Walker? Probably not. But would they move Danny Hultzen for Ells? Maybe, and that is a deal I would certainly look at. If we cant get the right deal now, hopefully he can rebuild his value by the deadline for an even bigger haul.

    Lester is the other guy I would look at. He is under contract through 2014 and will likely be looking at a big contract after that. If we aren't going to be serious competitors in those two years why not try and move him? Sure his value isn't at its highest point after a down year, but in a weak SP market he has to be one of the most attractive names available. KC is desperately looking for a top of the rotation pitcher and have a few bats available. I think Lester for Wil Myers makes sense for both teams. Maybe throw in a few fillers on either side and both teams walk away happy.

    Salty is the other logical trade candidate. I'm sure most of us would prefer to keep and start Lavarnway, so trading Salty makes sense. In a very weak catcher market he is probably the best available guy (unless Toronto makes JPA available). The Cubs are in need of help at C and the one thing the Red Sox farm system looks short on is left handed power hitters. The Cubs have a young guy at a blocked position in Dan Vogelbach. I know a lot of people love him and he put up some impressive numbers last year, but he still only did it in low A ball. He still has a long way to go so I think the Cubs might move him if necessary. Add a bullpen arm like Aceves or Miller and a mid level pitching spec from the Cubs and I think it helps both teams. Cubs get a proven MLB C and RP, while the Sox get a young, potential middle of the order LH bat that is still a long way away and a mid level pitching prospect.

    Of the other guys, I think I would like to hold on to them. Pedroia is the heart of this team and we still need a veteran presence to teach the kids how to be professionals. Buchholz is under contract through 2017 at reasonable money so I see no reason to move him unless its a really good deal. And Bailey has very little value right now. Maybe build him back up and trade him but at least hold on to him for now.

    I would also be looking at filling out the team with free agents on 1 or 2 year contracts. We don't want to rush our kids and hurt their development, so grab some of these risk/reward type guys on short deals that we can maybe turn into more assets at the deadline. Guys like Haren, Dempster and maybe even Edwin Jackson. I would overpay for 1 year and look to move these guys at the deadline. I also wouldn't rule out Josh Hamilton on a short deal. He has his issues but for me its the length of the deal that matters not the cost. If we could get him on a 1,2 or 3 year deal I would certainly do it. A 1 year "show me" contract would be perfect, where we could either try and move him at the deadline or get a pick next season. Either way I think the focus should be on the future and not doing anything to screw that up.

  13. #1618
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Boston/Florida
    Posts
    9,243
    vCash
    1500
    @JeffPassan
    Executives agreed: Stanton would fetch perhaps the biggest package of prospects ever. Up to 6, with at least 3 top-line, major league-ready.
    ehh
    Proud to be PSD's Chris Kelly!
    The Chris Kelly Watch: 3 G /0 A/ 3 Pts / 2 +/-


    He went to the top self where Momma keeps the Peanut Butter & Where i hid the Porno's

  14. #1619
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    22,682
    vCash
    8600
    I don't understand why you guys think Stanton will be traded

    He's making .490k next season and is arb elidgeable until 2016






  15. #1620
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6,788
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I don't understand why you guys think Stanton will be traded

    He's making .490k next season and is arb elidgeable until 2016
    Why not? Marlins are jokers. Stanton means little to them. They get a ton more by dealing now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •