Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 164 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar_RA View Post
    Alex Gordon got an extension early this year, and wont be a FA until 2016. Just so you guys know.
    He'll also cost a ton. Depends on what the price is exactly.

vCash
    Trading Lester makes no sense to me after his down year. It makes way more sense to trade Buchholz given the value his contract alone gives him. I doubt either gets traded though.
    Hell get rid if both
    and with the 12th pick, The New York Football Giants select ......Odell Beckham Jr, Wide Reciever from Louisana State University

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardRounder View Post
    We have a lot of money to spend, but looking at the next two years of free agents there isn't a whole lot of quality players available. Barring some kind of an Orioles-like run next year, I don't see us being competitive until at least 2014. There isn't a quick fix out there and I think our clubhouse issues are too great to be solved by next year.

2013 FA's

Starters
    Zach Greinke
    Jake Peavy
    Dan Haren
    Kyle Lohse

Hiroki Kuroda
    Ryan Dempster
    Edwin Jackson
    Anibal Sanchez
    Brandon McCarthy

Position Players
    Josh Hamilton
    David Ortiz
    Mike Napoli
    Michael Bourn

Adam LaRoche
    Nick Swisher
    Ryan Ludwick
    Torii Hunter
    Kevin Youkilis
    Lance Berkman

2014 FA's

Starters
    Tim Lincecum
    Matt Garza
    Ubaldo Jiminez
    Josh Johnson
    Chris Carpenter
    Dan Haren*
    Ervin Santana*

Position Players
    Mike Morse
    Paul Konerko
    Chase Utley
    Miguel Cabrera
    Martin Prado

Alex Gordon
    Jacoby Ellsbury
    Adam Jones
    *Brian McCann
    *Robinson Cano
    *Ian Kinsler
    *David Wright
    *Curtis Granderson

As you can see, there's some difference makers out there, but probably not enough to turn a 93 loss team in to a 93 win team without gambling on large contracts for players with warts.

So at some point will we be forced to make a trade, will we go back to giving out inflated contracts for players who probably won't earn them, or will we just punt to 2015 and hope that Kershaw and Verlander remain free agents?
    There are a few difference makers in these 2 groups

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBucsSox View Post
    Hell get rid if both
    u mad

or ur lackey brother

or both

vCash
    Hell get rid if both
    I would bet you $100 that he doesnt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Goals for 2013:

#1. Do not weaken the future by trading away the top 8 specs (projectable) for any reason. Do deal kids that are deemed not able to make it such as Iglesias.

#2. Accept that no matter what we do, we can't win the WS

#3. Accept our chances of making the playoffs are less than 50/50

#4. Finish off dealing the cancers from the team no later than opening day 2014.

#5. Get a coaching staff that has an emphasis on taking pitches and high OBP, and throwing strikes. Get a top flight workout regimen for each player.

#6. Avoid big $ FA deals.

Following these rules puts us in much better chance to repeat making the playoff in 2015-2016. For one thing we won't be tossing big bucks away on guys like Napoli that are liable to be toast by 2015-2016.
    Thats a depressing outlook. I prefer to look at the Orioles and A's of this year and think we can still be a playoff team. I too, prefer not to trade away our top prospects but with signing a couple mid/high level starters in free agency (Saunders, Jackson, Haren) and making a couple wise trades, I think we can compete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ricomactaco View Post
    Thats a depressing outlook. I prefer to look at the Orioles and A's of this year and think we can still be a playoff team. I too, prefer not to trade away our top prospects but with signing a couple mid/high level starters in free agency (Saunders, Jackson, Haren) and making a couple wise trades, I think we can compete.
    We arent like either of the teams really. Unless De La Rosa and Webster come up next year and pitch like Straily, Harvey or other impressive rookies this year (which wont happen), were not making the playoffs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    You strike yet again. I said Lester might get traded if some of the young guys can establish themselves.
    You said "Lester maybe".

It would take a season or three for young guys to establish themselves. So you either for moving Lester or not. You are in favor of moving Buchholz, but maybe in favor of moving Lester.

Posting stats to argue against that is my right as a poster in good standing. If you don't like it, try facts or ignoring me, but I'm sure the other posters are bored by your picayune complaints. I don't mind - outside of the waste of time that is, from more interesting matters.

And yes, you are twisting words, you're the master of it.
    Whatever floats your boat.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 10-08-2012 at 12:05 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Hell get rid if both
    Wrong again.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ricomactaco View Post
    Do you think that our situation is similar to theirs last year? Are our young players (debuted after 3/2011) as good as theirs? What about the farm? THis year the FA offerings are good deal weaker than last year blocking to some extent our chance to work in that realm.

The first two pitchers you list are at best #3.5 SP's in the AL East, and what's the price tag? $21M for 3 years (or worse?). Haren could be a #2 - if he holds up.

I think you have the right direction, I'm just not sure how far we'll get with it in year 1 - less then 92 wins, and more likely 84.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardRounder View Post
    I don't see how Justin Upton or Josh Johnson would address our many issues. I think we'll simply need to be patient, and try to build the team correctly, rather than doing the rash free agent signings that got us in to such trouble the last few years.
    I don't think attaining Upton would help us next year. I am looking at 2014, when Ellsbury is gone. As for Johnson? I think he would give us a great core of SP (Johnson & Lester). Again, not to help us with 2013, but 2014. Would we deal for them now? Yes, but ONLY if the price is right.

I actually agree with you. We do have to be patient. I am Definately against trading away the future! We do have many issues, and they will all have to be addressed this off-season. I am sure the FO will explore FA's, but they are also going to explore trade alternatives. Hopefully they are dilligent in their search.

vCash
    No way Lester & Buchholz are going anywhere. They can't trade them when their value is at an all time low. Ellsbury? Maybe, but highly doubtful. Our starting pitching staff (Lester,Lackey,Buchholz, and Doubrount), is set for next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Platoon hitter with two very good years in his 7 year career. He's aging. He's been banged up a bit. He's a below average fielding catcher. Outside of those two years, he's essentially been Salty.

He's going to command way too much money and years for what he is.

Signing him would be a major mistake.
    Platoon Player? He has a .388 wOBA against Lefties and a .363 wOBA against Lefties, with a career overall wOBA of .370

Hardly a platoon player.

He Walks a lot and has mad power, in Fenway with 600 PAs he could put up over 40 HRs

I would try and sign him to a 4 year deal worth 9-10 million per year. To play 1B mainly, catch sometimes, and move to DH after Ortiz is gone for sure (which is looking like two years from now) That contract would take him though his age 34 season.. not too bad
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Justabitoutside View Post
    No way Lester & Buchholz are going anywhere. They can't trade them when their value is at an all time low. Ellsbury? Maybe, but highly doubtful. Our starting pitching staff (Lester,Lackey,Buchholz, and Doubrount), is set for next year.
    Buchholz's value isnt at an all time low. I wouldnt make assumptions on our rotation

vCash
    Buchholz's value isnt at an all time low. I wouldnt make assumptions on our rotation
    Obviously we will need another SP for the rotation. I just don't see the returning 4 from last year going anywhere.

Page 5 of 164 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast