Page 1 of 164 1231151101 ... LastLast
    vCash

2012-2013 Off-season thread.

Discuss....

vCash
    Pitching and more pitching.

Tazawa for closer.

vCash
    Bailey has to be closer next year IMO at least to begin the season. We go him for a reason, and it would make us look stupid to bail on him before he ever pitches when it matters. Im sure BC doesnt want to make it look like we got nothing for Reddick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar_RA View Post
    Bailey has to be closer next year IMO at least to begin the season. We go him for a reason, and it would make us look stupid to bail on him before he ever pitches when it matters. Im sure BC doesnt want to make it look like we got nothing for Reddick.
    We did get nothing for Reddick.

Cherington looks even more stupid if he sticks with a lousy closer just to prove a macho point.

Go with the better pitcher, let Bailey do middle relief until he shows someone he's not godawful.
    "i responded in accordance to his idiotic jackassery sayings about me.. "

In the immortal words of Youkahhhhhh - Aug/29/2010

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDustTwin View Post
    We did get nothing for Reddick.

Cherington looks even more stupid if he sticks with a lousy closer just to prove a macho point.

Go with the better pitcher, let Bailey do middle relief until he shows someone he's not godawful.
    We stuck with Papelbon when he started to look ****ed up and he ended up being fine. The guy missed a lot of time. To give up on him as a closer already seems stupid to me. Plus youre risking Tazawa being worse in a closer's role and losing confidence right away? No thanks.

vCash
    And btw, Josh Reddick ended up having a 109 wRC+. Take May out of that equation and its more like 80. Most of his value came in the field, and that wont last forever. He got lucky for a month and everyone cried. The guy is nothing special. Next year hell put up a 2.5 WAR and everyone will forget about him.

vCash
    And btw, Josh Reddick ended up having a 109 wRC+. Take May out of that equation and its more like 80. Most of his value came in the field, and that wont last forever. He got lucky for a month and everyone cried. The guy is nothing special. Next year hell put up a 2.5 WAR and everyone will forget about him.
    He might not be Mike Trout 2.0, but I'd take the 2012 version of Reddick every day and twice on sundays. Spectacular on defense and useful with the bat.
    I don't know why it's a fair argument if you take out 4-6 weeks of a season. Stats decline for any player if you do that.

But I don't get it, why would we love getting him back when his stats are looking pretty similar to what he did in 2011 (when we thought of him as a 4th outfielder)?
    Year Ba Obp Slg Ops Ops+
    2011: .280 .327 .457 .784 109
    2012: .242 .305 .463 .768 110

Even most of his ther stats stayed pretty much the same. BB% went up by 2%, but although his K% went up.

2.5 WAR sounds unlikely to me since he got to 1.9 in 2011 in less than half the PA's. Maybe he won't sustain a 4.5 WAR in the future, but 3-3.5 sounds about right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SirHizz View Post
    He might not be Mike Trout 2.0, but I'd take the 2012 version of Reddick every day and twice on sundays. Spectacular on defense and useful with the bat.
    I don't know why it's a fair argument if you take out 4-6 weeks of a season. Stats decline for any player if you do that.

But I don't get it, why would we love getting him back when his stats are looking pretty similar to what he did in 2011 (when we thought of him as a 4th outfielder)?
    Year Ba Obp Slg Ops Ops+
    2011: .280 .327 .457 .784 109
    2012: .242 .305 .463 .768 110

Even most of his ther stats stayed pretty much the same. BB% went up by 2%, but although his K% went up.

2.5 WAR sounds unlikely to me since he got to 1.9 in 2011 in less than half the PA's. Maybe he won't sustain a 4.5 WAR in the future, but 3-3.5 sounds about right.
    Yeah, i was a bit hard, 3 - 3.5 is feasible. But that May was such an outlier. Obviously they happened, but my real point was that it skewed his statline a lot; not that i literally wanted to give him no credit for it. IMO the worst part about not having him was that he was so young, but we have a lot of depth in the OF in our system at least

vCash

and bailey's 0.0 WAR this season was much better right

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xnickx5757 View Post
    I said that right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xnickx5757 View Post
    15 innings isn't exactly a large sample size. And WAR for closers is pretty much a worthless stat to begin with.

vCash
    Sorry to do this to you guys because speculating sucks, but it's really all I've got right now:

Any possible plans to trade Andrew Miller, Clay Buchholz, Ellsbury, Lester (I assume no), or Daniel Bard?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Sorry to do this to you guys because speculating sucks, but it's really all I've got right now:

Any possible plans to trade Andrew Miller, Clay Buchholz, Ellsbury, Lester (I assume no), or Daniel Bard?
    Maybe
    No
    For the right price if we can't get a contract done
    No(you assumed right)
    Unknown

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    Angels extended Ianetta.

Is Conger available? I love to have hive as a backup (if we trade Salty).

vCash
    I don't think a couple small moves are going to be the answer. I believe we are going to need some type of blockbuster deal. Since blockbuster deals are impossible to predict. Especially since the current FO is impossible to predict. Do they trade Ellsbury, sign Hamilton, or Napoli? I don't think any of these things happen. I believe next years team will not be remotely close to what the general concensus believes will be the case.

Page 1 of 164 1231151101 ... LastLast