Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Is WAR a meaningful stat?

Some guy that was commenting on a baseball blog that I was reading posted the following about WAR:

"...Did you know that WAR is a man-made mathematical equation (like all advanced stats) that THEORETICALLY believes that it can determine a players value/worth. No truly knowledgeable advocate of it, or any of the advanced stats, use it as a factual or accurate measuring tool. They always refer to it in THEORY, not facts. Only the dimwits who donít know what it is to play baseball and donít know the root of advanced stats or advanced mathematics, are the ones that use advanced stats like their are factual, bible-like material. They are good for video game manuals or to know for fantasy baseball which are stats-based and driven. They are just clerical material when it comes to real baseball."

Thoughts?

vCash
    To answer your question: Yes, WAR is a meaningful stat that expresses relationship in baseball determined via a known mathematical compilation of extant variables.

It never fails…people who do not understand what a theory actually is in a scientific or statistical sense substitute a colloquial understanding and deride that which they do not understand.

You know….I hear Gravity and Germs only exist in theory too….they must be made up!!

Willful ignorance is not something I can reconcile with rational thought….

vCash
    WAR is quite valid. What people have issues between is validity and gospel.

It's an excellent way of determining quick, overall value of a player. Generally, players with higher WAR = better player. Simple as that. Where people have issues with it are either not understanding the inherent flaws with the statistic or using it as pure gospel. It's a tool in the tool chest, not the entire tool chest, if that makes sense.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldglovinit View Post
    Some guy that was commenting on a baseball blog that I was reading posted the following about WAR:

"...Did you know that WAR is a man-made mathematical equation (like all advanced stats) that THEORETICALLY believes that it can determine a players value/worth. No truly knowledgeable advocate of it, or any of the advanced stats, use it as a factual or accurate measuring tool. They always refer to it in THEORY, not facts. Only the dimwits who don’t know what it is to play baseball and don’t know the root of advanced stats or advanced mathematics, are the ones that use advanced stats like their are factual, bible-like material. They are good for video game manuals or to know for fantasy baseball which are stats-based and driven. They are just clerical material when it comes to real baseball."

Thoughts?
    I've and played and coached baseball for more years combined than about half or more of the posters here (25).

When using stats, I used advanced stats because they are far more revealing and insightful than traditional stats. I used only traditional stats for the first 26 years of my 46 years as as fan BTW.

There is nothing man made about park adjustments. The results of hitters and pitchers are captured in a database and park factors determined from that. Anyone that takes traditional hitting stats in Coors and Petco as the same is fooling themselves if they are trying to compare player A and player B.

I must say, sure seems like a bait thread, but, I've come to expect that from the traditionals since they are getting pressed from all sides. Anything but actually learn what it's about, eh?

6/27/09: ďWe expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,Ē Ainge said. ďThere were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I donít know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and itís just unacceptable.Ē

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Every answer you want, is posted above.

I am moving to the advanced statistics section of this forum.

vCash
    In short, no it's not.

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iam brett favre View Post
    In short, no it's not.
    Care to explain why?

vCash
    In short, no it's not.
    Please, enlighten us.

I honestly, cannot wait for this response.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    In short, no it's not.
    I'd love to see you explain why!

Have you ever even looked at the formula for WAR (or any "advanced metric", for that matter), or do you just decide that you don't like it because it doesn't go along with your traditional viewpoint on statistics?

vCash
    Of course WAR is meaningful. People just look at it like the end-all of stats because it's pushed down our throats as that. You have to use it in the appropriate manner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    Of course WAR is meaningful. People just look at it like the end-all of stats because it's pushed down our throats as that. You have to use it in the appropriate manner.
    Absolutely

vCash
    Plenty of other man-made equations in baseball such as batting average, OBP, SLG, ERA, WHIP...

vCash
    I think so because it helps teams decide who is needed for their team.

vCash
    Of course it's meaningful, but that doesn't mean every other stat should be put aside.

vCash
    War
    What is it good for?
    Absolutely nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast