Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    vCash
    Hmmm ... the Diamondbacks claimed Gustavo Nunez off of waivers. I wasn't even aware he was on waivers. I imagine the Rule V restrictions which carry over to next season now carry over to the Diamondbacks. What a very strange and confusing Rule V pick he turned out to be but I still wish him good luck with the Diamondbacks, it was a strange Pirates career.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Burgh fan, I know you mentioned Marte unproven, but I think he may have the slight upper hand this year in LF field (pending a trade or signing of a guy like Shane Victorino). With Pressely, Tabata, and Snider fighting for RF(with possible G. Jones), it create a log jam. The more I thought about a trade for Kendry Morales, I thought maybe a player other then Joel would be needed to balance the trade out. An Pressley/Hannarhann for Kendry Morales/minor league player/3rd draft pick seems almost right. The draft pick could be higher or lower depending on who the pirates "eye" down in the Angels system.

Gabby and Jones platoon at 1B doesn't seem all that bad. When the Pirates play more AL teams, you could always play Gabby, Jones, Kendry, and still have a decent punch in the line-up. There is just speculation with Mike Napoli and the Pirates. I am for Russell Martin personally, and with his bat, it ads more depth from 3-7 hitters as far as power and run producers.

Anyways, if the Pirates can get Kendry Morales and Napoli/Martin, I can settle down a bit on offense. Those two guys may as well provide more versatility to the Pirates lineup. I am big on both players(Morales and Martin) and would love to see them in the Black and Gold this year.
    Last edited by PiratesFan1981; 10-26-2012 at 05:55 PM.

vCash
    Burgh Fan, this is a line up I thought of involving Kendry Morales and Russell Martin
    AL Teams
    1. Snider RF
    2. Neil Walker 2b
    3. A. McCutchen CF
    4. Kendry Morales 1B
    5. Pedro Alverez 3B
    6. Russell Martin C
    7. Marte LF
    8. Gabby Sanchez DH
    9. Barmes SS

NL Teams

1. Marte LF
    2. Snider RF
    3. McCutchen CF
    4. Jones/Morales 1b
    5. Pedro Alverez 3b
    6. Neil walker 2b
    7. Russell Martin C
    8. Clint Barmes
    9. Pitcher

vCash
    I think you are right about it taking another piece to get Morales. As for Martin I like him but while we are dealing with the Angels I would like Conger.

I think Hanrahan, a guy like Presley/Hughes/etc and a good prospect could get the deal done.

If you do this one of Snider, Tabata or Jones will have to go. Tabata will if course be the popular pick so let's go on the assumption it is him.

Marte, LF (ugh)
    Walker, 2B
    Cutch, CF
    Alvarez, 3B
    Jones, RF
    Morales, 1B
    McKenry/Conger, C
    Barmes, SS

Conger/McKenry, C
    Sanchez, CI
    Mercer, MI
    Snider, OF
    Harrison, U

Add another arm to the rotation, revamp the bullpen and maybe pursue a better utility player than Harrison and I think that is pretty solid.

vCash
    Made this for you Burgh...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    Made this for you Burgh...
    Good one there Tomahawk. I must admit it got at least a smile out of me

I would like to reiterate now that I do like Starling Marte and I think he should be starting somewhere in the outfield. He is a dynamic, exciting player who can do a lot of things great BUT he is in no way, shape or form a lead off hitter. Bat him 5th or 6th to break up the lefties and I think you have something there.

I would also like to restate my stance on Tabata. I think people on this board may have the perception that I like him and try to defend him. That is not really the case. Tabata is a poor player in all respects except for one and that is the ability to get on base. If this didn't happen to be the Pirates biggest weakness I would be all for casting him aside but given the Pirates current state giving up on him really isn't an option unless they completely reshape the team. If you were to ask me to list the Pirates most likely to post a .350 or higher OBP next season, Tabata would be second on my list behind only McCutchen.

vCash
    I'm expecting to see several trades from the Pirates this offseason. Hanrahan of course seems like a likely trade candidate but so does Karstens in my mind. I also suspect that one of Marte, Snider, Tabata, Jones may be dealt to make room for a more proven option.

vCash
    Well it appears the 2012 season is over. I'll start an official offseason thread here either today or tomorrow.

vCash
    Before I go on I thought I'd post an updated list of free agents I hope the Pirates look at. I'll focus on position players now. Three positions come to mind catcher, middle infield and outfield.

Catcher
    High End: Mike Napoli
    Mid Tier: Russell Martin, Kelly Shoppach, Gerald Laird

Middle Infield
    High End: Stephen Drew, Jeff Keppinger
    Mid Tier: Maicer Izturis, Adam Kennedy, Ronny Cedeno, Alex Gonzalez
    Low End: Jason Bartlett, Jose Lopez, Mike Fontenot

Outfield
    Big Splash: Nick Swisher, Angel Pagan (I know not going to happen)
    High End: Shane Victorino, Cody Ross
    Mid Tier: Juan Pierre, Austin Kearns, Reed Johnson, Scott Hairston
    Low End: Jeff Baker, Kosuke Fukudome

vCash
    You left out Torri Hunter for your OF list. I think he would be a good fit (for my Giants as well). He's a great teammate (can't stress that enough), productive and could be had on a short term contract. They could get a good veteran presence without breaking the bank.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats
    Splifftone, OptiskeptSF and Ciaban have a lot in common

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789