Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Since its the offseason I'm going to play around with my avatar. This one is my current new logo.

By the way Pirates Prospects did a piece on contract issues with projections that is probably much more accurate than mine. I think they have Sanchez overpriced but besides that it seems good.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    My thoughts on the arb class is that Morton and maybe Resop will be non-tendered. They will try to resign Morton at a lower salary or even a minor league contract and let him recover. Hanrahan will be tendered but shopped around and imagine traded.

Also remember the Pirates have a fairly large, for them, free agent class in Takahashi, Correia, Barajas, Qualls and Grilli. I think they will make an effort to bring back Grilli (although I think he'll sign elsewhere) but let the rest go.

Also the Rule V players needing protection is a little light. I imagine Tony Sanchez, Victor Black and Phillip Irwin will be protected. Gift Ngoepe is a borderline possibility as well as a few others but I think the Pirates will only protect 3 or 4. Pirates Prospects did a piece on it today.

vCash
    Here is name to watch out for as a potential trade target: Hank Conger. With the Angels just resigning Iannetta they really don't have a need for Conger and the Angels have frequently been mentioned as a destination for Hanrahan so the deal could make some sense. Obviously other parts would probably be involved but this could be a start.

For the record Conger doesn't look too special to me but he looks like a solid enough upper level catching prospect, with only one year of control remaining that would be a pretty good prospect to get in return for Hanrahan.

vCash
    For what it is worth here is an excerpt of a piece from Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe:

6. Josh Hamilton, OF, Rangers ó Itís going to take a special place with a special contract to get him signed somewhere this offseason. Hamilton said heís not taking a hometown discount from the Rangers, but thatís where heís likely to land. If he doesnít, then where? Here are some teams you should not rule out: Detroit, Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Seattle, LA Angels, Baltimore, Toronto. Never count out the Yankees or the Red Sox, but both high-profile places might not be the best fit for him.

vCash
    Also almost forgot to add that Meek and Sutton elected for free agency.

vCash
    ^Oh no! Not Meek and Sutton!
    The Future of The Jacksonville Jaguars
    Duuuuuuuvvvvaaaaaaaalllll

vCash
    Why on Earth would Hamilton sign here?

vCash
    I think the theory behind that has to do with his ties to Hurdle. I don't see it happening of course but I believe that is the driving thought process.

vCash
    If that's the only connection, I find that to be quite a stretch. I mean, coming here because of your former hitting coach?

vCash
    Oh I agree its nonsense to try and make that connection but some are. I'm not sure who will come here in free agency but I'm willing to bet a hefty sum it won't be Hamilton.

vCash
    The Pirates had 3 players crack the top 20 in the FSL prospect rankings from Baseball America. Two were expected, Cole and Taillon but the 3rd is a bit of a surprise, Gift Ngoepe. Ngoepe sneaked in at number 20 and was also voted the best defensive shortstop in the league.

vCash
    If for nothing else, I simply love his name

vCash
    I'm hoping he gets promoted to AA next season even though his bat probably isn't ready for it yet. Alen Hanson is going to be in A+ next season meaning he won't be getting much time at shortstop if he stays. He has a great story behind him and is one player you sort of have to root for just like Rinku Singh. Ngoepe has some defensive ability though so his chances of making it to the majors are pretty legit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    Also almost forgot to add that Meek and Sutton elected for free agency.
    What a fall from grace Evan Meek has had.

vCash
    Take this for what it is worth but below I am going to put the Pirates National league ranking for each position by WAR.

P: 15th (offense only)
    C: 10th
    1B: 6th
    2B: 7th
    3B: 9th
    SS: 11th
    LF: 15th
    CF: 2nd
    RF: 14th

This may not tell us much but what it does tell us is that putting all the focus on improving C and SS may be misguided it is the corner outfield spots that need the most work. Perhaps Marte, Snider, Tabata and Presley can fix that but bringing in some help wouldn't be a bad idea. An upgrade at C and/or SS wouldn't be the worse thing either.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast