Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Ludwick may not be back with Reds

I'm fairly out of compelling Reds talk. We’re in a holding pattern at the moment, circling, waiting to land in the playoffs. What’s to say?

One offhand comment from a Prominent Club Official to me recently… the person mentioned a few guys likely not back next year. Ryan Ludwick was among them. Really? That’s a big ol’ Hmmmm right there.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...L03/309190107/

i find this rather surprising and odd. I wonder if there's some kind of disagreement or tension between the two parties.

vCash
    Thats ok. We are going to sign Josh Hamilton anyway........... lol

vCash
    There is a 5mil team option according to Baseball-Reference.com, not sure why the Reds wouldn't exercise it at this point. Although for some reason I want to say that it was a mutual option, meaning both parties would have to agree. If that were the case then understandably Ludwick would try and seek a bigger deal after putting up solid numbers this year.

Also, maybe the Reds have bigger plans this offseason. They could be looking to sign a really big right-handed bat to hit behind Votto. Looking at 3B or LF as possible options.

vCash
    good point sparks. or maybe they have another LFer in mind they want to bat leadoff

vCash
    If we brought back Hamilton I would go crazy!!!!!! (in a good way)

vCash
    I would bet my life savings that Hamilton will not be a Reds next year. haha

vCash
    ya me too. but wouldn't it be nice?

vCash
    Courtesy of Mark Sheldon MLB.com (LINK)
    Ludwick hopes to return to Reds next season

CHICAGO -- Reds left fielder Ryan Ludwick has revitalized his career in his first season with the club. Ludwick, who signed a one-year, $2.5 million contract in January with a $5 million mutual option for 2013, hopes he can return to Cincinnati next season.

"I've told numerous people I like it here," Ludwick said. "I'm definitely going to do everything in my ability on my side to stay here. I know it's a business and budgets become factors in an organization. I'm really hoping everything works out."

Ludwick, who came out of Wednesday's 6-5, 11-inning win over the Cubs in the fifth inning as a precaution for a tight left groin and was rested Thursday. Ludwick is batting .276 with 26 home runs and 80 RBIs this season.
    According to this article Ludwick does have a 5mil mutual option for 2013. I thought that was the case. Anyway, if you kind of read between the lines I think Ludwick might decline the option and look for a longer contract.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdaddy View Post
    ya me too. but wouldn't it be nice?
    no doubt!

vCash
    I hope he comes back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stsparks72 View Post
    Courtesy of Mark Sheldon MLB.com (LINK)
    According to this article Ludwick does have a 5mil mutual option for 2013. I thought that was the case. Anyway, if you kind of read between the lines I think Ludwick might decline the option and look for a longer contract.
    probably a multi year deal

vCash
    There is alot of players out there that can do what Ludwick does. Im sure we will make the right decision. Not sure I would give a multi deal. At this point a multi deal would go to a proven leadoff or young stud in left.

vCash
    If Ludwick wants long term I wouldn't bother. If it was a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option I'd be comfortable with that from a Reds standpoint.

As for Josh Hamilton, I think you can see him wearing a Dodgers or Red Sox jersey next season.

vCash
    Looks like Ludwick is about to decline his side of his option. Reds are still interested though. according to MLBTR

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan6794 View Post
    If Ludwick wants long term I wouldn't bother. If it was a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option I'd be comfortable with that from a Reds standpoint.
    That is about all I would be comfortable with too. I'm just wondering what kind of money Ludwick is seeking. Are we talking a 2 year 15mil contract with a 8mil team option for a 3rd year (with a 1mil buyout). That would essentially guarantee that he would get 16mil over the next 2 years if they exercised the buyout. I would venture to say that is the type of contract Ludwick is seeking. However, is that the type of contract the Reds should write?