Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
    vCash
    A guy I'm interested in at #11 is Jon Denney, he's a catcher.

Jon Denney (C), out of Yukon High School (Yukon, OK), is one of the top backstops in a loaded 2013 prep catching crop. Denney’s defensive grades have vacillated over the past nine months, with a strong start to the summer giving way to inconsistencies in his catch-and-throw game before coming full circle this past weekend. With good playable power and bat speed already, foot speed is the only blemish on an otherwise top shelf draft profile. Today’s videos are from the 2013 Perfect Game World Showcase, held at Terry Park in Ft. Myers, Florida, and features Denney behind the plate and in the box.
    Q – How does Jon Denney compare with other catchers in this year’s draft?

Keith Law - I think he’s the top guy.

C, Jonathan Denney, 6'3 210, R/R, Yukon HS, OK, one of the better arms for next year's MLB 2013 Free-Agent Draft, this kid brings it, shows solid strength in line drive stroke at the plate with good pitch recognition, maybe a bit too aggressive as a hitter, he'll learn as he matures, throwing and receiving skills are excellent for his age, shifts well and is alert and he's not afraid to throw to 2b with runners on base. Shows enough ability to be considered early round consideration for 2013. Potential ave hitter with plus HR power. Keep an eye on him. First seen at TOS in Cary in 2012 and has steadily made some adjustments since then. Gamer!!
    Excellent power with a short swing. Better hitter than receiver.

"He's a right-handed hitter but he's also physically stronger (than Ciuffo and McGuire)," Rawnsley said. "He kind of compares to (2012 1st round draft pick) Clint Coulter as a hitter in that he's big and strong and just overpowers the ball to the middle of the field.

"And he's probably a better receiver than Coulter is too, and there are definitely scouts who have talked about him as a potential 1st round pick going into next year."
    Just bits of info on him.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Player: Justin Williams
    Position: OF/3B
    School: Terrebonne (LA)
    Date of Birth: 8/20/1995
    Height/Weight: 6’3/215
    Bats/Throws: L/R
    2013 Class: HS Senior
    Committed To: Louisiana State

Scouting Report:

Athletic build
    Projectable
    Plus plus raw power
    Exceptional bat speed
    6.75 top recorded 60 time
    Good range in outfield
    Strong arm
    Projects best to right field
    Versatile defensively

Terrebonne coach Gus Brown- “Justin is an exceptional athlete. He puts in a lot of hard work with the strength, speed and power that he has. He has a great eye for the ball. They have a lot of guys who can swing, but they don’t have many that could put the bat on the ball the way he does.”

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    If we get Justin Williams I will be jumping up and down. I cant see the Mets actually drafting someone I want them to though

vCash
    Yeah I like Justin Williams. This draft needs to be a good one.

vCash
    He has an incredibly fast bat.

vCash
    I want either a top class pitching prospect or a right handed power bat. I see another infielder in round 1...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I want either a top class pitching prospect or a right handed power bat. I see another infielder in round 1...
    Why right-handed? I think that's being a little picky.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I'd gladly take a second baseman if it means we'd be drafting the best player available. An outfielder would be nice, but I want the best player we could get. Unless the guy we draft is very close to major league ready, there's a good chance the Mets team needs aren't the same as they are this year, too.

vCash
    Even though I like the Cecchini pick, I don't want to see them go that route again. A 2nd baseman would be OK if he can really hit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rique View Post
    Hopefully we dont reach like the last 2 drafts, but im pretty sure mets will take someone not in the top 20 rankings that will be cheaper to sign
    All spending for all teams is restricted to pools allotted by the commissioner's office. If they sign a player for less than slot money, it;s so that they can sign a better prospect inrounds 11+. Players weren't routinely drafted in order of their potential by all teams in the 2012 draft for this purpose.

Today, Toby Hyde wrote:

In 2012, the first year under a similar system, the Mets saved a quarter of a million dollars against their pool by signing Gavin Cecchini for $2.3 million instead of the $2.55 slot. They wer able to package that small savings, plus underslot deals with Kevin Plawecki (1S), Matt Reynolds (2nd), Branden Kaupe (4th) Richie Rodriguez (9th) and Paul Sewald (10th) to go overslot and sign hard-throwing high school RHP Corey Oswalt and Chris Flexen and C Tomas Nido.
    It's a shame when someone maligns the Mets without knowing the process.

"The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    All spending for all teams is restricted to pools allotted by the commissioner's office. If they sign a player for less than slot money, it;s so that they can sign a better prospect inrounds 11+. Players weren't routinely drafted in order of their potential by all teams in the 2012 draft for this purpose.

Today, Toby Hyde wrote:

It's a shame when someone maligns the Mets without knowing the process.

I agree and that is exactly what they did. It's a sound stategy to have although not every year IMO.

I'd like the OPPOSITE this summer. Let's see them grab 2 high ceiling players with the first 2 picks and then draft shlubs after that if they have to to pay for the two of them.

Honestly, they could even do this every other year and it would be pretty intriguing. Of course that isn't the way you plan for a draft and each draft class and player is evaluated on a case to case basis. I just wouldn't be happy with the same strategy this summer as last year.
    Last edited by Daaaarryyl; 01-28-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoMeFavors View Post
    Bulls wont make the playoffs you can write it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoMeFavors View Post
    I've talked to some Nets and they told me they are saving their energy for the playoffs and people talking down on them are going to be suprised. One player told me "this was our plan all along"
    DMF on May 4th 2013:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    A guy I'm interested in at #11 is Jon Denney, he's a catcher.
    Sorry but I can only assume you're joking? For two main reasons. One is the obvious one, we just traded for a catcher who is projected by just about everyone to be one of the top catchers in baseball for the next several years. Second reason is that it even mentions how this is a deep catcher crop in this yrs draft, so if we want another catcher in the farm, draft one later. We have a terrible OF farm. If there's a good OFer available who's ranked around 11, we should probably take him unless someone unexpectedly falls to us.

vCash
    I don't really want to draft a 2B unless he's expected to be the best remaining hitter available. I don't like how people overvalue certain positions because they are harder to find good players at. We drafted Cecchini when there were much better hitters who have a better chance of turning into a star hitter that were drafted right after him. I would have much rather drafted Courney Hawkins or DJ Davis just to name a couple.
    Last edited by bklynny67; 01-28-2013 at 09:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Sorry but I can only assume you're joking? For two main reasons. One is the obvious one, we just traded for a catcher who is projected by just about everyone to be one of the top catchers in baseball for the next several years. Second reason is that it even mentions how this is a deep catcher crop in this yrs draft, so if we want another catcher in the farm, draft one later. We have a terrible OF farm. If there's a good OFer available who's ranked around 11, we should probably take him unless someone unexpectedly falls to us.
    Not kidding.
    BPA.

vCash
    Yeah, always BPA. If they feel Denney is the best guy available, I hope they take him.

Page 20 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast