Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Looking over the prospects now.

One name who stands out (literally) is

Aaron Judge 6'7 230 pounds, OF

That's a big boy

vCash
    Can we not draft a mediocre non impact infielder again this time please?

I want a big bat or power arm. Don't waste premium picks on mediocrity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    Looking over the prospects now.

One name who stands out (literally) is

Aaron Judge 6'7 230 pounds, OF

That's a big boy
    If he can hit, I don't know why somebody wouldn't want him. The intimidation factor alone is huge.

vCash
    recent guys to be picked #11 05 Andrew McCutchen, 06 Max Scherzer, 07 Phillippe Aumont, 08 Justin Smoak, 09 Tyler Matzek, 10 Derek McGuire

vCash
    Bottom Nine Teams Obtain Protected Picks
    For MLB teams to obtain a protected first round draft pick in 2013, they will have to finish this year with one of the nine worst records in baseball. Though the top ten draft choices are protected under the sport’s new collective bargaining agreement, one of those selections will go to the Pirates, who did not sign their 2012 first round pick, Mark Appel. This means the nine teams with the worst records in baseball will have protected first round selections in 2013, MLB confirmed to MLBTR.

MLB determines the order of its amateur draft by upending the order of the previous year’s standings. As MLBTR’s Reverse Standings page shows, the Astros, Cubs, Rockies, Twins, Indians, Marlins, Blue Jays, Red Sox and Royals would obtain protected draft picks if the season ended today. The Mets, Marlins and Padres could obtain protected draft picks depending on the results of the season’s final week.

Teams must forfeit a draft pick to sign a free agent who declined a qualifying offer from his former club. If a team's first round pick is protected, the team will forfeit its next highest selection.

“A Club that signs one Qualified Free Agent who is subject to compensation shall forfeit its highest available selection in the next Rule 4 Draft,” the CBA reads. “Notwithstanding the above, a Club shall not be required to forfeit a selection in the top ten of the first round.”

Top first round selections are especially valuable under baseball’s CBA. Not only does a top-ten draft choice provide teams with a wider selection of players, it assures them of a protected pick, regardless of what happens in free agency.

While the top ten selections cannot be forfeited as draft pick compensation, picks from 11 on are vulnerable. This year finishing with the tenth-worst record in MLB won't be enough to obtain a protected pick.
    The site that shall remain anonymous.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Did we get a protected pick?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Did we get a protected pick?
    RIF, but to save you from reading the piece again, no!

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    RIF, but to save you from reading the piece again, no!

Typical Mets, they can't even lose properly.

vCash
    They are NOT signing any big time FA(s), so the point is moot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    They are NOT signing any big time FA(s), so the point is moot.

I guess so.

vCash
    Lets see how we screw this one up

vCash
    light hitting SS or 2B? Mets love the SS and 2B players now

vCash
    http://metsminorleagueblog.com/draft...ed-draft-pick/
    John asks:

Hey Toby, I know it\’s a little early, but exciting to think about. Any idea who the Mets might look to take in the 2013 draft? A lot of mocks have them looking pitcher at Bobby Wahl. You\’re thoughts?
    Yali asks:

Does the Mets 11th pick of next years draft get protected since they basically are only drafting 11th because the Pirates were unable to sign the 9th pick of last years draft?
    Yali’s question first. No, the Mets’ 11th overall pick is NOT protected this year. The rule is that the top 10 picks are protected. In 2013, that includes the teams with the nine worst overall records, and the Pirates, who pick up a compensation pick for failing to sign their 2012 first rounder Mark Appel from Stanford. The Mets finished with the 10th worst overall record at 74-88. The 2013 draft order is here at MLB Trade Rumors.

This is bad news for the Mets. In the event that the Mets sign a free agent who qualifies for compensation, they would have to forfeit their first round draft pick. Obviously, this decreases the (already slim) odds that the Mets will sign an impact free agent.

John’s question next. As far as being excited about the Mets owning the 11th pick, I would not qualify myself as excited about it. I’d rather see the Mets win 95 games, make the playoffs and pick at the back end of the first round.

Secondly, mock drafts in September or October, 10 months out from the draft are sheer folly. I had to google Bobby Wahl. He’s a right-handed pitcher out of Mississippi, who Keith Law at ESPN had ranked #11 in the ’13 draft class in his late August rankings, citing his “above average fastball/breaking ball combo.” So, yes, he’s a reasonable potential target. This is his Mississippi profile and this is a profile at bigleaguefutures.net. In the last few Alderson/dePodesta drafts, the Mets have gone after college pitchers with extremely low walk rates, and strong K/BB rates. Wahl had a 2.9 BB/9 (32 BB/99 IP) in his sophomore season with a 3.25 K/BB ratio (104 K/32 BB). However, I suspect that for the Mets to be really interested at #11, they would want to see an even lower walk rate this year in college or indications his control would improve as a professional.
    LOL only the Mets are unlucky enough to get ****ed by Appel not signing with the Pirates.

vCash
    How are they ****ed? They were never going to sign a big free agent.

vCash
    ...but imagined if they were, this only solidifies their decision to not spend.

Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast