Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 87 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Sure, we drafted Nimmo don't forget.

When the Mets are drafting in 2013, they are thinking about 2018. Do you think the OF will still be an issue by then? We have some promising OF in the lower minors in Lupo, Becarra, Nimmo, Marquez, etc.

And the OF can be easily addressed via FA. Players are always available every year.
    Unless you draft Austin Wilson.
    But 99% of your post is correct.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Sure, we drafted Nimmo don't forget.

When the Mets are drafting in 2013, they are thinking about 2018. Do you think the OF will still be an issue by then? We have some promising OF in the lower minors in Lupo, Becarra, Nimmo, Marquez, etc.

And the OF can be easily addressed via FA. Players are always available every year.

It doesn't take 5 years for every prospect to develop. I know how to plan ahead, I also know we have nothing in the OF.

Address in FA?

Give me a break...they won't sign even the crappiest FA.

vCash
    This is a thread about the upcoming draft, let's try to stay on topic.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    The latest and a bit more bizarre of a mock draft.
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...raft-version-1
    If we take Jonathan Crawford at 11 I will not be happy with this, especially with people predicting him to be a bullpen pitcher, while they have us passing on Appel... doubt he drops that low anyway but still, if we pass on Appel and take a guy projected as a reliever, i'll be pissed.

In any case, I hope we take the best college hitter available, regardless of position. Bryant would be nice but doubt he's there either.

vCash
    I've seen quite a few mock drafts having us take North Carolina's 3B Colin Moran. He is probably one of the closest players to major league ready so I wouldn't be disappointed, but he would have to move to the outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I've seen quite a few mock drafts having us take North Carolina's 3B Colin Moran. He is probably one of the closest players to major league ready so I wouldn't be disappointed, but he would have to move to the outfield.
    I'd be down with that. Would really love Kris Bryant though but if he's really the best college bat in the draft, and they say he should hit for a good avg and plenty of power, I don't see how there's any chance he makes it to #11.

vCash
    I know you can't have enough pitching, but we literally have enough pitching.
    Best quote of the thread

vCash
    Take BPA, even if it is a pitcher.
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    If we take Jonathan Crawford at 11 I will not be happy with this, especially with people predicting him to be a bullpen pitcher, while they have us passing on Appel... doubt he drops that low anyway but still, if we pass on Appel and take a guy projected as a reliever, i'll be pissed.

In any case, I hope we take the best college hitter available, regardless of position. Bryant would be nice but doubt he's there either.
    They said the same thing about Harvey. Crawford has great stuff and pitches for a major college program.

vCash
    I will always be of the opinion that you always draft the best player available, irrespective of their position. You never draft for need, as it is already placing an arbitrary parameter around your decision.

If that strategy means you end up with 10 great pitchers and no great OFers, that's fine. The next step is trading from depth.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    I will always be of the opinion that you always draft the best player available, irrespective of their position. You never draft for need, as it is already placing an arbitrary parameter around your decision.

If that strategy means you end up with 10 great pitchers and no great OFers, that's fine. The next step is trading from depth.
    With the limit of what you can spend in draft, that philosophy is little murky now. Some teams are trying to save money on 1st and supplemental rounds to overslot in the later rounds.

It's the fastest way to build depth in the farm, look what the Astros did with Correra with the #1 overall pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Or just draft an OF...

If that's still our need in the future?

It's our need right now, and has been for years. Can you remember the last above average OF we had, not just 1 player but as a group?
    SS have more value, apparently. See Didi Gregorius for Trevor Bauer deal.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    SS have more value, apparently. See Didi Gregorius for Trevor Bauer deal.
    Not to me, with no OF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Not to me, with no OF.
    I don't honestly believe you've ever sat down in a face to face meeting with another MLB GM, and have any idea how teams value players. Present Mets management have made their opinions known, and I think they have a better read on the markets. Do you agree?
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I don't honestly believe you've ever sat down in a face to face meeting with another MLB GM, and have any idea how teams value players. Present Mets management have made their opinions known, and I think they have a better read on the markets. Do you agree?
    I can answer this one.

"No."

Page 18 of 87 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast