Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 87 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    That only matters when looking at the draft as a whole, when is time to pick things may have gone differently than planned.

Like in 2011 when the strength of the draft was pitching and just about every hitter with some upside got picked before most experts had them going.
    That's true. But I have a feeling a hitter will be BPA.

vCash
    I know I shouldn't be bothered by it, but it kind of annoys me to see Jose Fernandez ranked so high and the fact he was taken right after we picked Nimmo. That is an example of where you take a pitcher over a position player even if that is your need. Not that anyone knew how these guys would turnout, but that is a reflection of our scouts.

vCash
    Drafting in hindsight is so easy.

No one thought Fernandez would be this good, but lets wait until these guys make a legit impact on the major league level.

vCash
    Player: Karsten Whitson
    Position: RHP
    School: Florida
    Date of Birth: 8/25/1991
    Height/Weight: 6’4/225
    Bats/Throws: R/R
    2013 Class: College Junior
    Previously Drafted: 2010, 1st Rd, Padres

Scouting Report:

A 2010 first rounder out of high school, Whitson was viewed as a potential top 5 pick following a strong freshman season. Slowed by a groin injury and forearm soreness in 2012, Whitson was inconsistent in just 33.1 innings during his sophomore year. While his draft stock has taken a hit, the frontline ability remains and a strong spring could push Whitson up draft boards.

Fastball sits 91-95, has topped out at 97, with good movement

Easy velocity

Slider can be nasty when working, 83-87

Low 80′s change with good arm speed and nice movement

Command is above average when everything’s working, but was inconsistent in 2012

3/4 arm slot

Athletic pitcher

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    I'll be honest, Whitson was the guy I wanted over Harvey in 2010. Right now it looks like we made the right choice, but time will tell.

vCash
    I had Harvey on my short list, but Whitson and Covey were before him on my list as well.

vCash
    I wanted Grandal, still looks like we made the right choice. I'll take an ace over a good catcher.

Covey looks like a bust.

vCash
    The thing with Harvey was that imo it was like drafting a HS arm in that he was considered raw and still, so preferably I would of drafted a HS arm over a college guy that would take time to develop. That is why I wanted Pomeranz or Sale, but Pomeranz was gone and that left Sale. Hard to argue that Harvey was a better choice than Sale.

...but as it turned out Harvey was a kid that moved pretty damn quick through the minors spending just a year and a half.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    Just for clarification purposes:

1. We have a top 10 protected pick, but we pick 11th because of the Pirates' compensation pick for not signing Appel.

2. If we do choose to pursue a Type A Free Agent (which we won't do) we will not lose our first round draft pick
    Thanks for the rules here. I still would like Bourn for the right price but only if ATL didn't get our top pick....let em have pick #43.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    Thanks for the rules here. I still would like Bourn for the right price but only if ATL didn't get our top pick....let em have pick #43.
    He's wrong and it's been addressed already. We lose our 11th pick if we sign Bourn, so we will not sign Bourn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    Just for clarification purposes:

1. We have a top 10 protected pick, but we pick 11th because of the Pirates' compensation pick for not signing Appel.

2. If we do choose to pursue a Type A Free Agent (which we won't do) we will not lose our first round draft pick
    Thanks for the rules here. I still would like Bourn for the right price but only if ATL didn't get our top pick....let em have pick #43....we need a CFer for the next four years...while Upton got $75m/5 look at what Pagan got (40/4) and that's what I would offer...do an 8/11/11/8 + 2 fifth year buyout on a $10m option. Take it or leave it...I would give him 24 hours to decide so Boras doesn't have time to shop it.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Thanks for the rules here. I still would like Bourn for the right price but only if ATL didn't get our top pick....let em have pick #43....we need a CFer for the next four years...while Upton got $75m/5 look at what Pagan got (40/4) and that's what I would offer...do an 8/11/11/8 + 2 fifth year buyout on a $10m option. Take it or leave it...I would give him 24 hours to decide so Boras doesn't have time to shop it.
    No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    He's wrong and it's been addressed already. We lose our 11th pick if we sign Bourn, so we will not sign Bourn.
    If so then were talking Hairston, Ross and Sizemore
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    If so then were talking Hairston, Ross and Sizemore
    Yes, that is why no one has been talking about Bourn or any of the upper tier FA.

vCash
    Aside from Justin Williams, Trey Ball is the other guy that interests me that I believe might be available when we pick.

http://www.coast2coastprospects.com/trey-ball.html

Page 14 of 87 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast