Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    I'd gladly take a second baseman if it means we'd be drafting the best player available. An outfielder would be nice, but I want the best player we could get. Unless the guy we draft is very close to major league ready, there's a good chance the Mets team needs aren't the same as they are this year, too.

No more 1st round infielders. Tired of drafting these guys early and spending IFA money on them. We need power threats.

I heard all that about OF'ers last year, a year later we've still got the same lousy OF. Whether it's a few years down the line or not, this team needs impact OF'ers more than it needs more IF'ers IMO.

BPA is purely in the eye of the beholder in any case, unless you're drafting Strasburg.
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 01-30-2013 at 08:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Sports Fan View Post
    There are members on this Board who have forgotten much more than I know about potential draft picks in baseball.

I know that the Steven Strassburgs and Bryce Harpers do not come along very often and that the Nats were lucky to be able to draft them in successive years.

To those knowing members on this Board are there any young players whether in college or otherwise out there in the same ilk as the 2 Nationals mentioned ?
    There isn't anyone that is a consensus #1 pick. But theres are some other comps that might interest you. Clint Fraizer has a game similar to Michael Trout. Austin Meadows is built like a tank and the best HS prospect also plays CF.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    We haven't got one, or had one for ages. I want a bat that scares the pitcher, we don't have that guy.
    So why does he have to be right-handed?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Sports Fan View Post
    There are members on this Board who have forgotten much more than I know about potential draft picks in baseball.

I know that the Steven Strassburgs and Bryce Harpers do not come along very often and that the Nats were lucky to be able to draft them in successive years.

To those knowing members on this Board are there any young players whether in college or otherwise out there in the same ilk as the 2 Nationals mentioned ?
    Not to sound like a jerk, but if anyone knew that they'd be the highest paid scout in history. Strasburg ironically is the perfect example, he was a fat HS pitcher that threw 80 mph and didn't get drafted. He grew in every way in 2 years to become one of the best pitching prospects of the past half century.

Mike Trout was compared to Aaron Rowand in his draft year and was taken near the bottom of the first round and yet is comparable to Bryce Harper right now.

I think you would be in agreement with most of the poster here (based on your question) in looking for more "upside" than probability and that's mainly who we've been discussing.

Justin Williams, Trey Ball and others are being debated here as more and more information about them come out. Still the entire draft class has a season to play before June so a lot can happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoMeFavors View Post
    Bulls wont make the playoffs you can write it down.
    I've talked to some Nets and they told me they are saving their energy for the playoffs and people talking down on them are going to be suprised. One player told me "this was our plan all along"
    DMF on May 4th 2013:

vCash
    It's possible the team will be too right handed down the line if certain things happen.
    d'arnoud, Evans, Cechinni/Tejada, Flores, Wright, Puello/Vaughn etc. If it's for the current team or someone VERY close I may prefer a RHH. Otherwise it doesn't really matter IMO.
    Bulls wont make the playoffs you can write it down.
    I've talked to some Nets and they told me they are saving their energy for the playoffs and people talking down on them are going to be suprised. One player told me "this was our plan all along"
    DMF on May 4th 2013:

vCash
    Q – Reece McGuire or Jonathon Denny?

Keith Law - Denney. Might be a top ten pick. Certainly a top 15 pick as the board sits right now.

Q – Any thoughts on Alex Jackson C from HS in Cali?

Klaw
    – Exciting guy for the 2014 draft. Need to see more, obviously, but he stood out in a very good way this past summer.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    If Denny is the best player available I say get him. Then we can make him or D'Arnaud available in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    If Denny is the best player available I say get him. Then we can make him or D'Arnaud available in the future.
    That's a good problem to have, plus you can move him much like KC did with Wil Myers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    That's a good problem to have, plus you can move him much like KC did with Wil Myers.
    Well it depends on Denny's speed. Because D'Arnaud is a 3/3 speed for now and the future. He's way too slow for the OF. Wil Myers is an athlete with 5/5 speed. He's quick enough. Bryce Harper is also fast enough. Travis D'Arnaud is not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    While I can understand the BPA method, they would likely be calling him the BPA only because of the position he plays which is total BS to me. When they drafted Cecchini they probably thought he was BPA because he was a SS, meanwhile there's clearly several more players who were much better hitters and will continue being much better hitters, while still being good defensive players. With all positions equally evaluated, I HIGHLY doubt Denney will be the BPA when we pick.

Well lets look at Wilmer Flores. He's a good hitter but has no position. So position is also pretty important in determining BPA. Mike Olt is a great hitter but in the top 30 instead of top 15-10 because of his lack of position too. Murphy is a good hitter, but not a great fielder.

vCash
    Well lets look at Wilmer Flores. He's a good hitter but has no position. So position is also pretty important in determining BPA. Mike Olt is a great hitter but in the top 30 instead of top 15-10 because of his lack of position too. Murphy is a good hitter, but not a great fielder.
    Mike Olt has a position, it's 3B. He doesn't have a position on the Rangers because they have Adrian Beltre there.

vCash
    Well it depends on Denny's speed. Because D'Arnaud is a 3/3 speed for now and the future. He's way too slow for the OF. Wil Myers is an athlete with 5/5 speed. He's quick enough. Bryce Harper is also fast enough. Travis D'Arnaud is not.
    Denny run s a 7.1 60. 7 is considered average.
    Which puts him at 4/4 speed.

He would be plenty fast enough to the corner OF position.

vCash

vCash
    BPA. If it has to be a pitcher then so be it. I wish Appel would fall that far, he sounds so good

vCash
    I really hope we get Justin Williams. There are a few guys I wouldn't mind, but Williams tops my list.

Page 22 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast