Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 87 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Scouting Video: Jeremy Martinez, C, Mater Dei (CA) HS (2013 Draft)

Jeremy Martinez is a catch-and-throw guy from Southern California. The catch is a little better than the throw, which should be enough. My feeling is take what you get from the bat and let it grow. Catchers are hard to find, though I’ve never seen a whole lot of physical upside to this guy. He’ll be best as a hard-working everyday Joe in pro ball, and there ain’t nothing wrong with that.
    http://www.bbprospectreport.com/2012...martinez-video

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Kris Bryant. Need a college bat that's ready/close to producing at the big league level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZoFkWeeNz View Post
    Kris Bryant. Need a college bat that's ready/close to producing at the big league level.
    Thinking the same thing.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    At this point it looks like Kris Bryant wouldn't be available where we pick. Colin Moran is the next college bat that might be available. I still say keep an eye out for DJ Peterson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    At this point it looks like Kris Bryant wouldn't be available where we pick. Colin Moran is the next college bat that might be available. I still say keep an eye out for DJ Peterson.
    Unless someone emerges, I'll take my chances on Justin Williams.

vCash
    Yeah me too. I was just talking about if we did take the college bat route. I really think Justin Williams is going to be special. Just hopefully he doesn't look too good this Spring and shoot up draft boards.

vCash
    Projecting the First Round: MLB Draft 2013 Outfield Prospects

“Locks” (6)

Stanford OF Austin Wilson
    OF Austin Meadows
    OF Clint Frazier
    OF Ryan Boldt
    OF Trey Ball
    OF Justin Williams
    These were among the easiest players to lock in as first round picks next June. I thought Wilson looked particularly great this summer on the Cape. The only thing that could potentially knock Wilson down a bit on draft day — well, not the only thing, but rather among the most likely — is the very same thing that caused him to tumble in 2010: bonus demands and signability. Meadows and Frazier are both outstanding prospects that really don’t need much extra pontification. There will be plenty of discussion over the next six months fixated on the Meadows v Frazier debate at the top of the draft, and I look forward to really delving into each player’s pros and cons. Boldt is just a step behind the big two for me at this point, and he gives off a distinct David Dahl vibe every time I see him.

Ball is a first round pick either as an outfielder or lefthanded pitcher, so he makes for an easy inclusion on this list. I originally had Williams heading up the Definite Maybes category, but the combination of raw power, keen batting eye, easy swing, and, perhaps most importantly, his relative newness to the game makes him a great bet to land in the draft’s first round. The logic is fairly simple: Williams already possesses first round tools and impressive baseball skills, all without the benefit of the same formal instruction and experience of many of his peers. It takes a little extra extrapolation than I’d like, but I don’t think it is crazy to believe Williams’ growth over the next few months will exceed that of any other top player in this class. He reminds me of a little bit of a bigger, stronger, more powerful Zach Collier, who went 34th overall in 2008.

Definite Maybes (5)

Fresno State OF Aaron Judge
    Samford OF Phillip Ervin
    OF Josh Hart
    OF Terry McClure
    OF Matthew McPhearson
    I really, really want to put Judge in the lock category because I think he’s primed for a huge junior season, but couldn’t in good conscious make such a bold proclamation — because what I say here is soooo important, you see — due to his funky (the history of 6-7 outfielders in the pro ball isn’t all that extensive) scouting profile. I think Judge will be a first round pick because I value him as a first round caliber talent. I also realize that sometimes my personal tastes diverge quite a bit from big league scouting trends. That’s why he’s not a lock. I’m lightly a little bit light on Ervin a this point, but I think a lack of a carrying tool might knock him down a few teams’ boards. Hart, McClure, and McPhearson can all run with any player in this year’s class. Tracking which of the three rises up above the rest will be one of this spring’s most enjoyable draft subplots. All have plus speed (at minimum) and each knows how to utilize it to produce big results. I think both Hart and McPhearson look like future big league regulars in CF (as a fan of the team who just traded for Ben Revere, I’m really trying to talk myself into players with the speed/defense CF skill set), but it’s McClure’s added dimension of power upside that gives him the highest overall ceiling as of now.

The list of outfielders who just missed the cut is long and chock full of big-time names. So long and chock full of big-time names, in fact, that I think it makes sense to break it down a little bit further. The first five college guys who missed:

LSU OF Jacoby Jones
    Vanderbilt OF Conrad Gregor
    Mississippi OF Hunter Renfroe
    Kansas State OF Jared King
    Cal State Fullerton OF Michael Lorenzen
    I have Jones listed with the outfielders because of his strong showing in CF, a position where he has the potential to be an above-average defender in time. That’s the reason, for sure. It definitely isn’t because I forget to include him in any of the potential infield positions (2B, 3B, SS) where he might fit best. He looked pretty darn good at both CF and SS on the Cape, so I’m inclined to take a wait-and-see approach to his future defensive home. Same deal with his bat, a tool that he hasn’t shown to be big league quality through two years at LSU. Renfroe and Lorenzen are both toolsy outfielders with plus-plus arm strength and major pitch recognition issues. Gregor and King aren’t particularly toolsy outfielders, but each guy can really hit.

Five more college outfielders of note:

Georgia Tech OF Brandon Thomas
    Virginia Tech OF Tyler Horan
    Florida State OF Marcus Davis
    Vanderbilt OF Tony Kemp
    Pepperdine OF Aaron Brown
    We’re deep enough into this list to streamline our focus. Or I’m getting lazy and want to finish this up before the end of the year. Either way, let’s quickly chat about Marcus Davis. Watch Davis, a junior college transfer, very closely this spring at Florida State. He’s going to hit. He might even hit a lot. Alright, good chat.

Finally, we’ve reached the lightning round name only portion of our program. These are the players that may not necessarily be the best current prospects, but, for a variety of reasons known only to me (for now…), they rank among my very favorites. High school guys first, then more college names to know…

OF Stephen Wrenn
    OF William Abreu
    OF Johnshwy Fargas
    OF Jason Martin
    OF Billy McKinney
    OF Billy Roth
    Wake Forest OF Kevin Jordan
    Miami OF Dale Carey
    Maryland OF Mike Montville
    South Florida OF James Ramsay
    Mississippi OF Tanner Mathis
    Arkansas OF Jacob Morris
    Vanderbilt OF Connor Harrell
    Texas OF Mark Payton
    Texas A&M OF Krey Bratsen
    UCLA OF Brenton Allen
    UCLA OF Eric Filia-Snyder
    Stanford OF Brian Ragira
    Washington State OF Jason Monda
    Arizona OF Johnny Field
    Michigan OF Michael O’Neill
    San Diego OF Louie Lechich
    James Madison OF Johnny Bladel
    Rhode Island OF Jeff Roy
    Florida Gulf Coast OF Sean Dwyer
    Liberty OF Ryan Cordell
    Jacksonville State OF Coty Blanchard
    Southern New Hampshire OF Jon Minucci
    Grossmont JC OF Billy Flamion
    Polk State JC OF Daniel Sweet
    Santa Fe CC OF Jamal Martin
    http://baseballdraftreport.com/2012/12/09/3128/

vCash
    Here is an interview with Clint Frazier.

http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2...frazier/27433/

vCash
    I really like Ryan Boldt. I love it when power is the only real tool in question, because he can be an excellent player without power due to his strong arm, great bat speed, and his plus running speed. If his power develops, you are getting a complete 5-tool player in CF. I like the David Dahl comp, and I liked Dahl very much too.

Jacoby Jones is an intriguing player as well, and excellent defender with upside in the bat. Great college athletes can figure it out in the minors with pro instruction, but it's a risk still.

vCash
    I'd like to see them grab a few outfielders with their first few picks. Maybe Justin Williams in the first, best college OF in the 2nd and even another toolsy HS kid with the extra pick from this past year. I know it isn't necessarily the way it could or should go as they'll value players regardless of position but I'd really like to see some outfielders in this system that can be (big) contributors in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoMeFavors View Post
    Bulls wont make the playoffs you can write it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoMeFavors View Post
    I've talked to some Nets and they told me they are saving their energy for the playoffs and people talking down on them are going to be suprised. One player told me "this was our plan all along"
    DMF on May 4th 2013:

vCash
    Believe it or not, I want another pitcher. I know we stink long term (and short term) OF wise, but you can't have enough pitching. Look at the last 3 world series winners. Notice something about their teams..........

If it's true that Harvey and Wheeler (along with the other pitching arms) are the real deal, then having another arm will only have us in a situation quite like the San Fransisco Giants were in years ago. Besides, it's always easier to find a good bat than a great arm. And if Wilpon is going the cheap route, beating stockpiled with pitching gives us a future. Just my two cents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    Believe it or not, I want another pitcher. I know we stink long term (and short term) OF wise, but you can't have enough pitching. Look at the last 3 world series winners. Notice something about their teams..........

If it's true that Harvey and Wheeler (along with the other pitching arms) are the real deal, then having another arm will only have us in a situation quite like the San Fransisco Giants were in years ago. Besides, it's always easier to find a good bat than a great arm. And if Wilpon is going the cheap route, beating stockpiled with pitching gives us a future. Just my two cents.
    I know you can't have enough pitching, but we literally have enough pitching. Time to get bats.

vCash

Mets Picking 11th in the 2013 Draft

I will always be a believer in drafting the best player available and If that is a pitcher, then you take him. As mention numerous times, you can always trade prospects to fill holes on the MLB roster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I will always be a believer in drafting the best player available and If that is a pitcher, then you take him. As mention numerous times, you can always trade prospects to fill holes on the MLB roster.
    Yeah but that's not the strength of this draft.

vCash

Mets Picking 11th in the 2013 Draft

That only matters when looking at the draft as a whole, when is time to pick things may have gone differently than planned.

Like in 2011 when the strength of the draft was pitching and just about every hitter with some upside got picked before most experts had them going.

Page 13 of 87 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast