MLB Draft Blog
    Top 10 prospects from Jupiter showcase
    November, 7, 2012
    NOV 7
    11:16
    AM ET
    By Kiley McDaniel

Courtesy of Gregg Forwerck/USA Baseball
    Austin Meadows could be the top prep prospect in the 2013 draft.
    I covered the four breakout prospects of the WWBA World Championships in the previous post, but in this one I'll go more rapid fire in breaking the best prospects of the event. Most of the top hitters in the class participated, but many of the top arms didn't show due to workload, injuries or football commitments. The players from the last post wouldn't make the top 10, but Josh Hart, Terry McClure and Billy McKinney would all be in the 10-15 range.

1. Austin Meadows, CF, Grayson (Ga.) HS
    Fellow Georgia prep center field prospect Clint Frazier didn't come to Jupiter and scouts are split on which prospect is atop their boards. Both can stick in center and the tools are comparable but Meadows is bigger (6-foot-3, 205 pounds) and stronger while Frazier offers better performance. Meadows was okay at the event (3-for-11, triple, stolen base) but had some trouble with off-speed stuff and hard stuff away. The ceiling is still huge and it's way too early to write him off.

2. Justin Williams, RF, Terrebonne (La.) HS
    Williams came into the event as one of the top prospects in the class and performed fairly (2-for-9, double, homer, walk, stolen base), but consistently showed big raw power and an ability to go the other way. He's athletic enough to stick in right and takes a direct path to the ball with raw strength, bat speed and a high finish creating the power. Williams is a potential monster middle-of-the-order monster.

3. Dominic Smith, 1B, Serra HS (San Mateo, Calif.)
    Some scouts soured on Smith due to a pull-happy approach in earlier events this summer, but he was back to his old self in Jupiter. The left/left masher actually caught the last two innings of a consolation game and while his footwork was predictably bad, his hands were good and his pop times (1.84 to second, 1.55 to third) were plus, showing off his raw arm strength. He won't be the first left-handed catching prospect, but is a good defensive first baseman with the arm for right, though he's a below-average runner with a slow first step. The calling card here is an easy left-handed stroke with big raw power to all fields (7-for-15, double, two walks) and a feel for the bat head that helps scouts feel confident he can hit enough for his power to profile at first.

4. Oscar Mercado, SS, Gaither (Fla.) HS
    Mercado is an elite defender at shortstop with above-average speed and arm but an even better first step and instincts that give him a plus defensive package. He's a long, loose, thin athlete that likely won't fill out much more, but his loose swing with plus bat speed creates good gap-to gap power. Mercado knows contact is his game and has shown an ability to square up good pitching this summer and transfer his power into games.

5. Jon Denney, C, Yukon (Okla.) HS
    Denney was the surprise of the tournament for me -- I had heard he was a guy to see, but was clearly the best catching prospect in attendance despite a deep class of catchers. Denney has a true plus arm and is an above-average receiver with soft hands and a comfortable feel behind the plate. He also has plus raw power and a very patient approach, but when he swung he made hard contact. He's a potential all-star catcher that's at least above average in the four tools that matter and isn't a bad runner; a solid mid-first rounder for me.

6. J.P. Crawford, Lakewood (Calif.) HS
    Crawford is similar to Mercado but has a more projectable frame with more current strength and bats left-handed. Crawford isn't as polished at the plate but brings above-average speed, defense and arm strength to the table in an enticing package that can stick at shortstop long-term. Crawford loads his hands higher and deeper and will bar out at times, causing contact and timing issues but has a chance to surpass Mercado in time.

7. Nick Ciuffo, C, Lexington (S.C.) HS
    Ciuffo has a catcher's frame (6-foot-1, 200 pounds) and is a solid athlete with an above-average arm, solid receiving skills and above-average power. He didn't hit much in Jupiter and was trying to frame every pitch, but Ciuffo has a long history and everyday tools that should go in the first round.

8. Ryan Boldt, CF, Red Wing (Minn.) HS
    Boldt also had some trouble getting hits in Jupiter but the tools were apparent and a tough weekend doesn't change his stock. He has plus-plus speed, solid gap power, good feel for the bat head and above-average defense that have scouts confident Boldt will go on day one with above-average regular upside.

9. Chris Okey, C, Eustis (Fla.) HS
    Okey doesn't have the size (6-foot, 175 pounds) or raw power to hang with Ciuffo or Denney as a prospect, but has the above-average arm and receiving skills along with great bat control and solid-average speed for a wide base of skills and instincts that scouts love.

10. Zack Collins, 1B, American Heritage HS (Plantation, Fla.)
    Collins catches now and has an average arm, but is stiff and mechanical behind the plate and his below-average speed fits best at first base down the road. On the bright side, Collins has a very loose left-handed swing with above-average raw power potential to all fields that won't let the Miami commit slip out of day one.

Best of the rest
    Touki Toussaint, RHP, Coral Springs (Fla.) Christian
    Toussaint is a 2014 draft prospect who was the best arm at the event, sitting 92-95, hitting 97 with a big plus curveball at 73-75 mph and a lightning quick, super clean and fluid arm action.

Carlos Salazar, RHP, Kerman (Calif.) HS
    Rumors of hitting 98 mph before the tourney had scouts flocking to Salazar's morning start and he didn't disappoint, sitting 93-95, hitting 96 and showing an above-average 84-86 mph changeup but an inconsistent breaking ball.

Brian Navarreto, C, Arlington Country Day HS (Jacksonville, Fla.)
    Navarreto is bigger (6-foot-3, 200 pounds) with a little more raw power and a tick better arm strength than Okey, but isn't quite as polished at the plate.

John Sternagel, 3B, Rockledge (Fla.) HS
    Sternagel has a boxy 6'2, 200 pound frame and fringy speed but good actions and a solid-average arm to profile at third and while he only has average raw power, he has outstanding bat control and feel at the plate.

Jonah Wesely, LHP, Tracy (Calif.) HS Mature 6'2, 215 lefty with advanced feel sat 90-92 hitting 93 with above-average life to both sides of the plate, potential above-average curve at 72-73, potential plus slider at 79-80 and solid-average 79 mph changeup give #3 upside and not much dreaming necessary.

Jake Brentz, LHP, Parkway South HS (Manchester, Mo.)
    He's an unknown with little pitching experience who hit 95 mph in a one-inning appearance with clean arm action, then had five scouting directors show up for his next one-inning appearance, where he sat 90-92 with an above-average curve at 69 mph and showed feel for an above-average cutter and changeup in the bullpen.

Jordan Sheffield, RHP, Tullahoma (Tenn.) HS
    Showed best velocity of the event, several ticks higher than he's ever thrown, sitting 95-96, hitting 98 in one inning appearance with above-average hard curveball at 81-83 mph.

Rowdy Tellez, 1B, Elk Grove (Calif.) HS
    A massive (6-foot-5, 250) lefty first baseman with tough, bat-only profile. He has a high, deep load in his swing and big raw power and did nothing but get on base and mash to all fields at Jupiter (5-for-12, 3 doubles, triple, nine walks).

Trevor Clifton, RHP, Heritage HS (Maryville, Tenn.)
    He was a warm-up act for Sheffield's fireballing performance, but may be better a prospect in time. The lanky,6-foot-6, 180-pounder sat 90-91, hitting 92, with potential plus curve at 75-77 mph.

Devin Williams, RHP, Hazelwood (Mo.) West HS Another relative unknown arm from Missouri showed shades of 2012 Cubs supplemental rounder Duane Underwood -- a long, smooth athlete who ran it up to 94 mph with above-average 77-79 changeup but inconsistent feel for average 79-81 mph slider and some balance issues in delivery

vCash
    I continue to take the reigns of the Justin Williams bandwagon. Feel free to jump on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I continue to take the reigns of the Justin Williams bandwagon. Feel free to jump on.
    After Frazier, I love him.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Yeah if we could get either one, I would be very happy!

vCash
    Under the Radar: Dominic Keys, Bradley Horkan, and Kyle Candalla.

Dominic Keys is a RHP from San Diego HS in San Diego, CA and is has yet to turn 16 years old. He would be one of the youngest players of the 2014 class not turning 17 until Nov 16, 2013. But what makes his age so important is he is already throwing 91mph. He is still very raw but considering he could have easily been part of the 2015 class because of his age is not that surprising. I had the opportunity to see him pitch over the weekend and personally saw him maintain from the windup and stretch 89 to 91 mph. His secondary pitches are a work progress but his Breaking Ball shows promise. He is al player to keep an eye on for the 2014 class.

Bradley Horkan is a LHP, OF and 1B out of Horizon Christian Academy in San Diego, Ca. Horkan is also a member of the 2014 class and also has very raw tools. As a pitcher Horkan sets in the mid 80’s topping out at 86 with little to no effect with good late sink to his FB and his secondary pitches are very raw but could develop. I was very impressed with his bat shows above average bat speed and good lift to his swing. Another player to watch for as the 2014 season comes closer.

Kyle Candalla is a OF and C at Mission Viejo HS in Laguna Hills, CA. He is our member of the 2013 class that I am very surprised that has not gotten more exposure then he has. He has played with the big names this year, playing on the Red Sox Scout team in SoCal. Candalla is one of fastest players I have seen, I clocked him at 3.87 to 1B from the right side of the plate which puts him at 80 on a scout scale the highest you can get. He is raw in the OF but this speed makes up for his routes, right now. He has only been playing the OF since June, so that is not surprising he need some work. If you want to see him play the OF you better catch him on one of his travel ball teams, because he is the catcher for Mission Viejo HS. He is bat is full of potential; he shows above average bat speed and gets tremendous backspin on contact. I will be doing a full scouting report on Kyle Candalla later during the week, so stay tuned.
    http://bigleaguefutures.net/1/2012/1...kyle-candalla/

Some kids to keep an eye out for.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”

vCash
    Players Name: Kyle Candalla

Position: OF/C

Hometown: Laguna Hills, CA

HS Senior at Mission Viejo

HT: 5’11

WT: 165lbs

Bats/ Throws: R/R

Body: Candalla has a compact, but very athletic frame. He has the ability to add about 10lbs without really losing any of the athleticism. Candalla looks to be strong and powerful, giving him power potential with quickness.

Swing: Candalla has a short compact swing with above average bat speed. He has a slightly open stance with his hands just above his shoulder. He has a very low leg kick and strides more in towards the plate than towards the pitcher. Candalla draws his hands slightly back as a trigger with a small weight shift. His swing is on a downward angle with a high finish; giving him good carry on the ball. He has great hand eye coordination and very good command of the strike zone. All that being said, there are things he could tweak to create more power. He needs to close his front hip a little more to get more torque in his swing and could also draw his hands a little farther back.

Base running: Candalla is a burner, plain and simple. I clocked him at 3.87 to first from the right side. His plus speed is a benefit on both sides of the ball. He also shows good instincts on the bases and is very aggressive. He is an excellent base runner and can be a game changer on them.

Defense: This is where Candalla’s game is a little shaky but it is not his fault. During the high school season, he is behind the plate, not in the outfield where he belongs. This is also problematic because of his throwing motion. Right now, Candalla’s throws are in between those of an outfielder and a catcher. He also shows his lack of experience in the outfield on his approach and routes to the ball. His footwork needs work as he tends to have happy feet when waiting on the ball and does not set himself before the catch. The good thing is he can easily fix all of these things with practice and the fact his speed will make up for bad routes for now. Once he learns how to take the correct routes, you are looking at plus range in center. Doing some research, I found that he has recorded a 1.87 POP behind the plate, so once he starts playing outfield on a regular basis, you could see a plus arm.

Summary: Kyle Candalla has the ability to be a 4+ tools player. He is one of my favorite dark horses of the 2013 class and it is not just his tools. He has been playing with some of the top talent over the summer and has played to their level. With the opportunity, Candalla has all the tools to take his game to the next level.

vCash
    He seems like a Jose Reyes in the outfield. I'm still hoping we could get a true power bat or a complete player like Fraizer.

vCash
    You aren't picking him with the 1st round pick.

vCash
    Could be an interesting pick in the 2nd round or later. Right now I still want Justin Williams in the 1st and DJ Peterson in the comp round. I wonder if the Mets would spend their first 3 or 4 picks on bats since outfield and catcher are clearly our biggest needs within the system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    You aren't picking him with the 1st round pick.
    Oh ok. I've never seen any clips of him, so I was just assuming he's a 1st rounder.

But again, I'd really like a true power hitter with the 11 pick.

vCash
    I think it's fair to assume after locking up Wright for so many years and with Ike on the other corner, we probably won't be looking at the likes of Kris Bryant or Colin Moran since both are college bats and closer to major league ready. I suppose it's possible if Bryant fell we could take him as insurance or a trade chip, but more likely we will be looking at one of the outfield or catching prospects in then 1st. I would think it's between Clint Frazier, Austin Meadows, Austin Wilson, Justin Williams, Jeremy Martinez, Jon Denney, or Reese McGuire, (possibly Trey Ball as well). Whoever is still available and the best among them is probably our pick.

vCash
    Frazier or Williams would be delicious
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    ^ I read that in a creepy sexual predator voice

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Kevin (NJ)

KLAW: Have you had a chance to see Reece McGuire yet? If so, how does he compare with Denney? Do you think Alex Jackson has more upside and will be drafted more highly in 2014 than any of the HS catchers coming out this year?

Klaw (3:44 PM)
    Several times this summer. Struggled very badly receiving and I wasn't a fan of the swing. Denney's not a great defensive catcher but he can really hit. Jackson's a possible stud, could be a top-5 pick in '14.

Page 12 of 87 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast