Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 87 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    Like I said, they went with bats. Go with Pitching #1. You can never have enough pitching. Too often fans look at the bats and SP without conisdering these picks can add to the inept bullpen. The names mentioned above, they have to develop. Sooner than later, if at all.
    The one thing the Mets have is pitching, and are at least 3 quality pitcher deep on each of their farm teams. They have very little positional depth.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    The one thing the Mets have is pitching, and are at least 3 quality pitcher deep on each of their farm teams. They have very little positional depth.
    When it comes to drafting, I want the Mets to pick the best talent available. Whether it's a pitcher, an outfielder, a second baseman, whatever. An hitting outfielder/catcher should be the priority, but if we have a chance to snag a pitcher with great upside, then take him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    When it comes to drafting, I want the Mets to pick the best talent available. Whether it's a pitcher, an outfielder, a second baseman, whatever. An hitting outfielder/catcher should be the priority, but if we have a chance to snag a pitcher with great upside, then take him.
    It depends on what is the person's definition of BPA.
    Was Carlos Correa the BPA last year for the Astros? Baseball America would say no. Big League Future thought he was.

But now, with a draft pool money teams are taking signable draftees so they can grab more talent later in the draft.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash

Pitching helps acquire talent. It doesn't matter if their 5 deep on each farm team b/c not MLB talent. You can obtain a Jose Reyes type player for stud pitching prospects. The team needs pitching and these illusions all these prospects are going to make is just that, an illusion. If the Mets get one ace, consider it a bonus. If they get two front line starters, consider ourselves very fortunate. They need more pitching. Pitching will acquire the fielder/bat easier than visa/versa. You can't bank on these prospects.

B.T.W. - for all those in the audience, Wilmer Flores only hope of making on this team is at 3rd base. He's not a middle infielder and can't go back on a ball in the outfield. It's 3rd or get rid of the hype.

vCash
    Pitching helps acquire talent. It doesn't matter if their 5 deep on each farm team b/c not MLB talent. You can obtain a Jose Reyes type player for stud pitching prospects. The team needs pitching and these illusions all these prospects are going to make is just that, an illusion. If the Mets get one ace, consider it a bonus. If they get two front line starters, consider ourselves very fortunate. They need more pitching. Pitching will acquire the fielder/bat easier than visa/versa. You can't bank on these prospects.

B.T.W. - for all those in the audience, Wilmer Flores only hope of making on this team is at 3rd base. He's not a middle infielder and can't go back on a ball in the outfield. It's 3rd or get rid of the hype.
    And vice versa, How do you think the Mets obtained Wheeler?

Now that the steroid era is somewhat over, Hit tool and power are premium tools that teams would be foolish to pass up in the draft. Runs scored has been trending downward since 2006. Guys who can hit and hit with power, especially at defensive positions, are going to be sought after.

vCash
    And vice versa, How do you think the Mets obtained Wheeler?
    Knew that was coming. So the plan is finding another Jose Reyes to obtain young SP?

Can we come back to earth? SP in a watered down league is a premium asset. You can't find young pitching and any proven pitching is worth a forture. You win with pitching, everybody wins with pitching. The Braves have done it for two decades. The Rangers finally have some stability while the Red Sox fell flat on their faces despite a loading hitting lineup.

Certainly the Mets need help everywhere but it's an illusion to think this organization has enough pitching. Considering the value of pitching, I go for it with the first pick. It will only increase the likihood one or more of these many pitchers actually makes to MLB. It's certainly better than rotating this stock of hyped mediocrity.

vCash
    Knew that was coming. So the plan is finding another Jose Reyes to obtain young SP?

Can we come back to earth? SP in a watered down league is a premium asset. You can't find young pitching and any proven pitching is worth a forture. You win with pitching, everybody wins with pitching. The Braves have done it for two decades. The Rangers finally have some stability while the Red Sox fell flat on their faces despite a loading hitting lineup.

Certainly the Mets need help everywhere but it's an illusion to think this organization has enough pitching. Considering the value of pitching, I go for it with the first pick. It will only increase the likihood one or more of these many pitchers actually makes to MLB. It's certainly better than rotating this stock of hyped mediocrity.
    Even with attrition, the Mets will have roughly 7-9 quality pitchers in the minors. The Mets have only a handful of quality position players and that's before attrition.

vCash
    Even with attrition, the Mets will have roughly 7-9 quality pitchers in the minors. The Mets have only a handful of quality position players and that's before attrition.
    I have a handfull of seeds. Think all of them will grow into trees?

vCash
    I have a handfull of seeds. Think all of them will grow into trees?
    I have already accounted for the failure of 50-60%.

vCash
    Maybe in baseball more-so than any other sport, you choose the best player available. Prospects are currency. If you draft 10 Zack Wheelers, you trade 4 of them for bats. You don't have to settle on an offensive player just because you need an offensive player.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Heartbreak View Post
    Maybe in baseball more-so than any other sport, you choose the best player available. Prospects are currency. If you draft 10 Zack Wheelers, you trade 4 of them for bats. You don't have to settle on an offensive player just because you need an offensive player.
    I think that's true in every sport. It's worked for the NYG for a while now.

In baseball, if you want to choose the BAP, IMO, you need more elite evaluators and that's the scouting department.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Heartbreak View Post
    Doesn't quite work out that way. Pitchers have a failure rate of 50-60%, for numerous reasons: Injuries, command issues, ineffectiveness, etc.

1. How many team have multiple top 10 prospects or front line pitchers as prospects?

2. What would it take to get a Upton or a Texieria or any other impact bat? We received Wheeler for Beltran because it was a 3 month rental and he couldn't be offered arbitration.

vCash
    I think that's true in every sport. It's worked for the NYG for a while now.

In baseball, if you want to choose the BAP, IMO, you need more elite evaluators and that's the scouting department.
    They had a need at RB and WR.

vCash
    They had a need at RB and WR.
    The Giants went BAP and did not have a need at receiver with Barden, Hixon and Jernigan slated for the #3. RB's are also a dime a dozen. Trust me Jets fan, neither were a need.

vCash
    The Giants went BAP and did not have a need at receiver with Barden, Hixon and Jernigan slated for the #3. RB's are also a dime a dozen. Trust me Jets fan, neither were a need.
    They had a need.
    It's a shame a Jets fan knows more about your football team than you do.

16. 10-08-2012, 04:07 PM
    Reason
    No need for the insults

Page 5 of 87 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast