Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Frankly, I'm more comfortable with Arcia in right at this time than Benson. Hicks should be ready to contribute next season.

vCash
    Could package Hicks in a deal to pick up some young pitching, he could help us pick up some equally good talent there.

vCash
    Hicks in my eyes is what Hunter was 12 years ago. Hyper athletic kid who when they put it all together can/will be something special. That being said, if someone offered me a pitching prospect for him I would take it.. I am very high on the kid, great k/bb ratio, can steal bases, has some pop.... And can switch hit!! Lets not sell him short he was our top propect 2 years ago...

Am I just being dumb when I say Josh Johnson should be on our effing top of the list?? I want him more then Shields, more then Grienke, more then anyone!! He went through tommy john and came back!! Plus isn't he from the MNpls Area???

Marco Scuttero?? Lets get Punto back and tell him not to hit left handed.... I say Mike Aviles.. Solid all the way around, or trade Span for Danny Espanosa !!!!

vCash
    Josh Johnson isn't a free agent, the Twins would have to trade for him. He has a year left on his deal, so if the Twins want him, they are going to have to give up some big time prospects to get him and he'll only be a rental. I don't think that's something I'd be interested in considering the Twins may need to target 2014-2015 as the comeback years.

I like Johnson, but I don't know that I'd overpay for him. He's been a fantastic pitcher when healthy, but this was the first time he had a relatively healthy season in a while. Even when he doesn't go down with season ending injuries, every year he seems to make multiple 15-day DL stints. Also, I'm concerned with that his WHIP, ERA and K/9 rate all took a hit this year coming back from his lost 2011 season. I'd love to have the guy, but if the Twins are worried about injuries and career decline, this guy might be the poster boy for caution.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Josh Johnson isn't a free agent, the Twins would have to trade for him. He has a year left on his deal, so if the Twins want him, they are going to have to give up some big time prospects to get him and he'll only be a rental. I don't think that's something I'd be interested in considering the Twins may need to target 2014-2015 as the comeback years.

I like Johnson, but I don't know that I'd overpay for him. He's been a fantastic pitcher when healthy, but this was the first time he had a relatively healthy season in a while. Even when he doesn't go down with season ending injuries, every year he seems to make multiple 15-day DL stints. Also, I'm concerned with that his WHIP, ERA and K/9 rate all took a hit this year coming back from his lost 2011 season. I'd love to have the guy, but if the Twins are worried about injuries and career decline, this guy might be the poster boy for caution.
    Johnson would be a great trade pickup for us but like you said he tends to get hurt a bit more than I'd like and he would require a massive overpayment I feel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post

I seriously doubt Johnson is even on the radar. I would be shocked if Ryan gave up any our top prospects for a one year rental. That's just not how he operates.

vCash
    See he posted almost 200IP this year..191.2 if i am not mistaken.. He gives teams another look, something we haven't been able to year sense Liriano and Santana were in the same rotation.. I think with his history of injuries he will be "cheaper", and you are right we would need to trade for him, I see all of this outfield depth.. Span, Revere, Benson, Hicks, Arcia, Buxton, Parmalee, Rosairo, and even Sano... We have too many out fielders.. Like I said in the other forum, Good softball teams dont even use 4 outfielders regularly.. So why not sell some of it for something we do need.. A solid pitcher, Give up Arcia and Hauser for Johnson...

vCash
    I'm all for moving some of our outfielders, even some of the top prospects, but would you really want to give up Arcia for one year of Johnson knowing there is next to no chance the Twins would ever offer him the amount of years it would take to sign him to an extension?

vCash
    I don't really think the "Rent-a-player" still will be with the new CBA.. It limits the compensation... So absolutely not!! I think in the next few years you will see that renting a player will go by the waste side... I think it would take 12mil per over 3 years with a 4th being a mutual option for 15mil.. He is 28 not that would take him through being 32, if he is still pitching very well he will have the opportunity to test the market again, If not I mean it goes with out saying....
    Last edited by Bray991; 10-10-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: stupidity

vCash
    How about Gavin Floyd? His stuff is good, but he suffers from pitching in the Cell.

vCash
    You know what... I like it!!! Good call Catman... He is 29, one great season away from a very large pay day.. What do you think he would need, contract wise??? 17 over 2 years with a club option at 13 ??

vCash
    It depends on if he thinks the Twins can contend next season or not. If they were to offer him a deal like that, he might just sign it.

vCash
    What would you think of Joe Saunders?? I feel like he could be had for a 1 year deal with a large mutual option at the end.. say 6mil with an option for 9.. I like him, he fits our "style" which I am normally not for..

vCash
    Saunders would be a nice back end guy but I just can't get too interested because knowing the Twins, they'll market him, and anyone else they sign this off-season, as an ace. I really don't want to see the Twins throw more money at any pitchers who we can't realistically expect to achieve a 7.5 K/9. This staff already is setting records for strikeout incompetence as it is.

Had the Twins signed him instead of Marquis for the 5th spot last year, it would have been a nice move, but he's probably pitching himself into a nice contract this off-season. A deal like you mentioned might make him a 3-4 for a club unafraid to spend on pitching, but that's ace money for the Twins and I don't view him as such.

vCash
    I was thinking the other day that even though we need young controllable pitching I think we could get away with trading Span to the Rangers. I know this is all contingent on them resigning Josh Hamilton but I see two options here.

In scenario one we could trade Span for Alvis Andrus. With the emergence of Profar there is talk they will move Andrus to second and Kinsler to the outfield. Truth to the matter is that Kinsler has struggled in the outfield and they don't have anyone to man center field. Andrus is signed through 2014 and give us a potential All-Star Caliber talent

In scenario two we could try and trade Span for Derek Holland which is the definition of young controllable pitching. He is 24 and is signed through 2016. That is the exact reason I have a hard time believing Texas will want to part with him.

The Twins off-season is going to be a game of chess. It is going to be Terry Ryans job to swap what he has at the MLB level for similar talent at a different position. I have a hard time suggesting we give up on any of our prospects because we are not going to "win now."

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast