Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    vCash
    I'd welcome him, and he may welcome it too if he sees the Twins as his fastest route to a starting gig. The Twins surely can't pretend to claim they already spent their free agent budget.

vCash
    I'm interested to see if the twins get more aggressive with their pursuit of Saunders now that the Indians signed meyers. I also wonder if TR is still planning to bring in competition for plouffe at 3B?
    ]”Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter97 View Post
    I'm interested to see if the twins get more aggressive with their pursuit of Saunders now that the Indians signed meyers. I also wonder if TR is still planning to bring in competition for plouffe at 3B?
    I agree that we should take a run at Saunders as he fits the "crafty lefty" and likely would do fine at target. Should be reasonably priced.

Would like some competition at 3rd but not much out there yet, Rolan would be fine but he is not going to play bench and won't sign unless a starter, Inge has no bat, Kennedy old, that is pretty much it for the hot corner FA. Deibinson Romero will be his likely competition and has some pop but not sure he is ready to compete in the show.

vCash
    Yeah I'd be really happy if we could add Saunders. It would make a perfect 6 man rotation
    1.Diamond
    2. Worley
    3. Saunders
    4. Pelfrey
    5. Corriea
    6. Gibson/Harden (either one could start out in the pen)

I'm also curious if there has been any thought to giving Plouffe a try at 2B and bringing in a Rolan type. I know you don't want to move Plouffe around the field year after year, but 2B seems like a good spot for him. Rolan could hold that spot for Romero/Sano (eventually). Then I think you could let Dozier try his hand at SS again to compete with Florimon because to me Escobar is no more than a utility IF and he'll replace Carroll next year.
    ]”Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.”

vCash

Twins Future Roster...

Aaron Hicks - LF
    Eddie Rosario - 2nd
    Byron Buxton - CF
    Oswaldo Arcia - RF
    Miguel Sano - 3rd
    Joe Mauer - DH
    Chris Parmalee - 1st
    Josmil Pinto - C
    Pedro Florimon - SS

Chris Herrmann - C
    Eduardo Escobar - 2nd/SS
    Brian Dozier - SS/3rd
    Trevor Plouffe - 1st/3rd/RF/LF OR Joe Benson / Angel Morales / Max Kepler / Darin Mastroianni - OF

Scott Diamond
    Alex Meyer
    Trevor May
    Kyle Gibson
    Alex Wimmers

Vance Worley / Mike Pelfrey / Cole De Vries
    Liam Hendriks / Anthony Swarzak / Corey Williams
    Pedro Hernandez / Ryan Pressly / Matthew Summers
    Caleb Theilbar / Michael Tonkin / Madison Boer
    Alex Burnett / Jose Berrios / Hudson Boyd
    Tyler Robertson / B. J. Hermsen / Brian Duensing
    Glenn Perkins / Matt Hauser / Anthony Slama / Deolis Guerra
    Last edited by JG1117; 01-03-2013 at 04:35 PM.

vCash
    A few names for consideration: Jeanmar Gomez, Brandon Inge, Chris Dickerson. All are FA's and could come in cheaply (for good reason). They could all add a bit to the Twins this year.
    Also, the Twins will have a scout at Aledmys Diaz and Dariel Alvarez' workout.

vCash
    Getting the Cuban SS would help. I saw the report that the Indians were trying to get the Twins to trade for Gomez. Pretty funny stuff, they probably figured that since the Twins are the only team that values abysmal K/9 rates they might be able to pawn him off on them.

vCash
    Okay looks like there are 2 Cubans available.

"Rafael Rofes Perez writes on his blog, Pasaje Deportivo, that rumors in Cuba have placed former Las Tunas shortstop Alexander Guerrero in the Dominican Republic.

LaOpinionDeportiva.com makes the same claim.

Guerrero, 26, was sitting out the Cuban baseball season, saying he lacked the motivation to play. He expressed disappointment over not being selected for a spot on Cuba’s World Baseball Classic roster.

Guerrero has been one of Cuba’s best players the last few years, hitting .338/.408/.641 in 2009, .343/.414/.583 in 2010 and .310/.400/.599 in 2011. Between the three seasons, he delivered 60 homers in 886 at-bats. One imagines that if the reports are true and he eventually becomes a free agent, he could take over as a starting shortstop or second baseman for an MLB team in short order."

He may be worth a nice contract and again put us one step ahead in the rebuilding process. I know we won't but would love us to sign both and maybe they could play together!

vCash
    I'll bet the Twins will be one of the suitors for either of the Cuban SS. They haven't spent much on free agency but have been much more active with international signings lately. This area was actuall Bill Smith's best work, hopedully Ryan doesn't neglect it.

I'd certainly take a shot at this guy, though I would say I'd be a little concerned that "he lacked the motivation to play" because he was snubbed for the WBC. That doesn't speak well of his character. I'd prefer Aledmys Diaz over this guy because he's four years younger. He's supposedly close to MLB ready and has a nice bat for a SS. If the Twins came away with a 22-year-old SS ready to contribute for the long run, I'd give Ryan a bit of slack on his inability to fix the rotation. A little slack, not a complete pass mind you.

vCash
    I like the idea of bringing Diaz in. He's good on both sides of the ball and is very young.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'll bet the Twins will be one of the suitors for either of the Cuban SS. They haven't spent much on free agency but have been much more active with international signings lately. This area was actuall Bill Smith's best work, hopedully Ryan doesn't neglect it.

I'd certainly take a shot at this guy, though I would say I'd be a little concerned that "he lacked the motivation to play" because he was snubbed for the WBC. That doesn't speak well of his character. I'd prefer Aledmys Diaz over this guy because he's four years younger. He's supposedly close to MLB ready and has a nice bat for a SS. If the Twins came away with a 22-year-old SS ready to contribute for the long run, I'd give Ryan a bit of slack on his inability to fix the rotation. A little slack, not a complete pass mind you.
    Would make sense to sign Diaz for the longterm but Guerrero for the short term as our quality options this year are few. I would like Ryan to lose his mind a bit and sign them both for the long term and short term health of the team.

vCash
    How about Ryan Theriot? He's looking for a place where he can get some playing time and plays 2B pretty well. He'd come in at a reasonable price, IMO and would be worth a shot. He's also unemployed, presently.

vCash
    Another name to add to the list of potential Twins is Bronson Arroyo. He has shown that even a "fly-ball" pitcher can survive in Cincinnati. He'd be a good mentor to some of the Twins' prospects and could slide in in the middle of the rotation for a couple of seasons.

vCash
    Maybe the Twins would have some interest in Arroyo next year as a free agent but I would hope they are not interested in trading for him as a rental player this season. Of note, he wil be 37 next year, though it is hard to believe he has been around that long. Theriot seems like a decent fit. Seeing as the Twins have seemed to make no effort to improve the middle infield I guess that leads me to believe they are deadset on giving Dozier every chance to take 2B. If Theriot can still play SS, the Twins should have interest though, I don't know why anyone would think Florimon should be given the gig.

Another name that interests me which I have yet to hear mentioned is Jemile Weeks. He was terrible last year but under closer inspection he may have been unlucky, he had an atrocious BABIP. He had a fantastic rookie campaign but the A's seem to have already cast him aside as they've traded for Jed Lowrie who is still under contract for two more years. By showing how little faith they have in him, I can't imagine the A's could ask for too much of a ransom for Weeks.

vCash
    I'd like to see Jemile Weeks come in. He could be a very good fit.
    And, by the way, my thought about Arroyo was as a FA after this season. He certainly won't cost a draft pick.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast