Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Spring Training News

Kevin Correia will get the first grapefruit league start. Not a huge deal, but actual games are nearly back.

vCash
    I'm excited, but would be more so if Kevin Correia wasn't in your original post. I hope this isn't the first indicator about who is going to be the opening day starter.

vCash
    I understand Scott Diamond will get the nod, if he's healthy.

vCash
    I guess I have been under the assumption he will not be healthy. Hopefully he is.

It's a long shot that he makes the team out of camp, but if Rich Harden somehow gets named a starter, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the nod. He's really the only guy with a front of the rotation pedigree. If Harden is healthy and pitches well, he will probably start generating more buzz than anyone in camp not named Gibson or Hicks.

vCash
    Josh Willingham got off to a good start in Florida -- 2/2 with a home run and 2 RBI. Correia allowed a run on 2 hits and a walk in 2 innings today.
    I don't put much emphasis on stats in the Grapefruit or Cactus Leagues, but it is nice to see some of the kids get off to good starts.

vCash
    Brandon Boggs hit a 3-run bomb in yesterday's loss.
    Morneau hit a bases-clearing double to the left-center gap today. He is 2/5 today and appears to have his swing in good order. No Ks so far.

vCash
    It seems there have been few K's for either side thus far in the Twins matchups. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I always thought the hitters usually wiffed a lot early on before they got their timing down.

vCash
    Usually the pitchers are ahead of hitters at this time of year. Maybe not this year.
    I've read a few reports about Morneau. Folks are saying that he has picked a perfect time to get healthy. He might just get back to his all-star form, which would be great news for the Twins.

vCash
    It would be great, but it would also make this July all the more agonizing. There's going to be a lot of hurt feelings come this trade deadline no matter what the outcome.

vCash
    I agree with your assessment, Nick.
    Today, Joe Benson and Eddie Rosario homered and the pair of Morneau and Mauer reached base 5 times. Hicks was 2/4 with a double and Ryan Pressly picked up the win as the Twins beat Toronto 8-4.
    I'm sure some of the guys got a chance to talk to Henry Blanco, who now plays for the Jays.

vCash
    Again, Twins hitters walked more than they struck out and Twins pitchers struck out more hitters than they walked.

vCash
    Bruno miles better than Vavra so far it seems.

vCash
    Hicks was 2/3 with a double, a run scored and 2 RBI. Willingham was 3/3 with 2 runs scored. Doumit was 2/3 with a 3-run homer. Again, I don't make too much of spring training stats, but these guys look really promising this year. The Twins beat Philadelphia (and Ben Revere -- 2/4 with 2 runs scored) 12-5.
    The Twins' hitters walked 4 times and struck out 5 times, while the pitchers walked 3 and struck out 10 (Thielbar struck out all 3 hitters he faced).

vCash
    After a couple of shakey outings, Gibson has been re-assigned to the minor league camp. Have to think the 5th starter (assuming Diamond is not out long) is now bewteen Hendriks and DeVries, though Deduno pitched well last time out at the WBC and has a chance to shine again against Joe Mauer and the Americans tonight. A strong outing could put him in the mix possibly.

vCash
    I think DeVries has done and shown enough to at least get the 5th spot to open the season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast