Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Why does everybody hate Duke?

I am from the uk so obviously i am not too familiar with america uni's apart from Yale and Havard and a couple others...

but i have heard a lot from forums how they hate duke university and everything it stands for.
    why is that?

is duke uni like oxford uni in england, where they are full of rich snobs, and it is really hard to get into or is it more than that?

vCash
    People just hate Duke because they have a huge national following that isn't necessarily set up with Duke graduates. It may have a little bit to do with it being a great school, but I don't think it is because of that. I don't hate Duke, and respect Coach K by the way.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    The same reason why most people hate a team like the Yankees. They have had tremendous success as a program and have fans all across the country because of that success. All majorly successful sports teams are going to have a lot of haters.

vCash
    Yep. They're the yankees of college basketball. Very fun and easy to hate because of success and fruity overhyped players.
    Last edited by Angry Norwegian; 02-05-2013 at 09:15 PM.

vCash
    1. Model of success: everybody envies and thus "hates" watching the success enjoyed by others.

2. Media perception/hype: Like Notre Dame in football, Duke often gets way too much benefit of the doubt in preseason and regular season polls. They've had some amazing teams over the years but some of their mediocre teams benefit preseason from the achievements of those teams and the Duke basketball brand. This is pretty meaningless in the win/loss scheme of things but it's one of the "hate" sources.

vCash
    Yet another reason to hate them (if true):

http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports...andma/12867799

Duke denies it, some people at the game confirm it. If it's true, Coach K needs to come down hard on these ******s. I'll tell you one thing: I sure as hell didn't get "Past your bedtime" as the chant... which is what people are saying it was.

vCash
    One of my friends was at the game - he heard it, but t'was just a small section of fans according to him, not the entire students.

#iubb

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boateng View Post
    I am from the uk so obviously i am not too familiar with america uni's apart from Yale and Havard and a couple others...

but i have heard a lot from forums how they hate duke university and everything it stands for.
    why is that?

is duke uni like oxford uni in england, where they are full of rich snobs, and it is really hard to get into or is it more than that?
    definitely a part of it. plus things like: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...ger-party?lite
    2014 Adopt-a-Packer: Micah Hyde

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jacquewho? View Post
    One of my friends was at the game - he heard it, but t'was just a small section of fans according to him, not the entire students.
    It would be hard to believe that the whole student section would take part in that nonsense, but regardless Coach K needs to come down hard on them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jacquewho? View Post
    Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley

I have talked to several other reporters at the #Duke game. The students didn't chant about Tyler Lewis's dead grandma. That's a fact.

https://twitter.com/laurakeeley/stat...63824268021760

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA_Starter View Post

I have talked to several other reporters at the #Duke game. The students didn't chant about Tyler Lewis's dead grandma. That's a fact.

https://twitter.com/laurakeeley/stat...63824268021760
    Others have talked to reporters/people who confirmed it. It's just a matter of who you talk to. But listen to the chant. What else could they have been saying? It sure as hell wasn't "past your bedtime", which some people allege that it was.

EDIT: Also, just shocking that the Duke beat reporter would deny it. Total surprise there.

12. 02-08-2013, 08:46 PM
    Reason
    do not post videos

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Norwegian View Post
    Others have talked to reporters/people who confirmed it. It's just a matter of who you talk to. But listen to the chant. What else could they have been saying? It sure as hell wasn't "past your bedtime", which some people allege that it was.

EDIT: Also, just shocking that the Duke beat reporter
    would deny it. Total surprise there.
    I was told "past your bedtime", I have listened to the video with headphones on and honestly can't tell what they are saying. She also covers NC State at times so I am confident if she heard it she would admit it. She also tweeted this:

At the end of the day, if a few dumb people referenced Lewis' Grandma, that's so out of line. But it wasn't a mass organized thing at #Duke

https://twitter.com/laurakeeley/stat...15465566855168

Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    Well, first and foremost, they're good. That's always a prerequisite. The national following is incredibly annoying. So many Yankees/Duke/Cowboys fans out there. Snobby fans. Snobby players. Boring brand of basketball.
    LOL, What is Boring about it? We have had plenty of exciting players including Kyrie Irving.
    Last edited by NBA_Starter; 02-08-2013 at 10:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA_Starter View Post
    I was told "past your bedtime", I have listened to the video with headphones on and honestly can't tell what they are saying. She also covers NC State at times so I am confident if she heard it she would admit it. She also tweeted this:

At the end of the day, if a few dumb people referenced Lewis' Grandma, that's so out of line. But it wasn't a mass organized thing at #Duke

https://twitter.com/laurakeeley/stat...15465566855168

LOL, What is Boring about it? We have had plenty of exciting players including Kyrie Irving.
    Kyrie played like 10 games for Duke. The rest: boring.

vCash
    Hate them, but have had their number in the past.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    Kyrie played like 10 games for Duke. The rest: boring.
    Sadly that is all the games he played but Corey Maggette was not boring (in college), Grant Hill, Dahntay Jones, Luol Deng, Jay Williams, Josh McRoberts, Gerald Henderson, Mason Plumlee, Austin Rivers, Rasheed Sulaimon, Rodney Hood, Jabari Parker none of these guys are boring and I can go on and on. It sounds like just another excuse to hate to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast