Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 59 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
    vCash
    ^What are Howard, Utley, Rollins, and Ruiz?
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    this Hamilton stuff really needs to stop. we can't afford to have another left-handed aging hitter on this team that can't play a full season.

this team needs to become more durable than anything. since you can't make the current players more durable, you need to add durable players. Hamilton does not fit that bill.

bring in Swisher. he's a switch hitter, he can hit for some power, he plays well in the OF, he's a hell of a lot more durable, and he won't cost you nearly as much as Hamilton.

just because the Phillies have the money to spend doesn't mean they have to spend every last cent of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    this Hamilton stuff really needs to stop. we can't afford to have another left-handed aging hitter on this team that can't play a full season.

this team needs to become more durable than anything. since you can't make the current players more durable, you need to add durable players. Hamilton does not fit that bill.

bring in Swisher. he's a switch hitter, he can hit for some power, he plays well in the OF, he's a hell of a lot more durable, and he won't cost you nearly as much as Hamilton.

just because the Phillies have the money to spend doesn't mean they have to spend every last cent of it.
    There was a time when you would not have said this. And it's true. It's good to spend money and improve the team, but each move still has to make sense. If there aren't enough moves that make sense then they might have to spend less than their budget. That's not a problem so long as that money is reinvested.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

vCash

Offseason Thread

Amaro traded for Revere because he stressed we needed speed and defense. he got what he wanted. if im not mistaken talks with Michael Young are close, a cheap seasoned vet with no pop but he can hit. than what do you think RAJ will do next? if i had to guess, sign a decent corner OFer with pop. instead of looking for one chump that hits HRs, hes trying to compliment the core of players he already has. and i think its a smart move, id be lying if i said i didnt want Hamilton, but i think Ruben is looking at it like "do we really need to spend all this money for one position?" and i praise him for that, he couldve easily said Hamiltons our man and dumped the budget. instead hes trying to nickel and dime what we need.
    Last edited by BigLee53; 12-07-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Phillies Redskins Flyers

vCash
    Kevin Youkilis must decide whether to accept a two-year, $18MM contract to play for Terry Francona and the Indians or take a one-year, $12MM deal to play for the Yankees, ESPN.coms Buster Olney writes (on Twitter).
    It appears as though Cleveland could be in the best position to sign Nick Swisher, Olney reports (on Twitter).

wtf. we should be in on both of these guys. youkilis and swisher. i prefer youk to young even at 2 years $18m.

vCash
    The masterplan appears to be centered around the idea that maybe last year's team wasn't as bad as its record. We know the bullpen busted a good 10 games and holes at 1b, 2b, 3b, and LF certainly didn't help. Lee underperformed through 2/3 of the season and Halladay turned into an average pitcher.

Very few players performed to their expected levels and only Chooch and Frandsen can really be said to have over performed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    The masterplan appears to be centered around the idea that maybe last year's team wasn't as bad as its record. We know the bullpen busted a good 10 games and holes at 1b, 2b, 3b, and LF certainly didn't help. Lee underperformed through 2/3 of the season and Halladay turned into an average pitcher.

Very few players performed to their expected levels and only Chooch and Frandsen can really be said to have over performed.

this team isn't a goner by any means. they aren't what they were in 08 or even 09. but they still have a lot of experience and so long as they can stay healthy for a majority of the season they can be a legitimate team this year.

biggest problems for this team last year were as you said, durability and the bullpen giving up too many games. Lee pitched like he had a bug up his *** all year last year about the bullpen, and Halladay was pitching hurt for the majority of the year and just refused to sit out.

this team can bounce back; they just have to stay healthy, whether that means guys sitting out games here and there or whatever.

vCash

Offseason Thread

it appears so. if this team mopes out, immpatiently flails at the plate, blows the lead in the 8th, while legging out ground balls, this team will be gone in a fortnight. if the this season is blown so is this team.

Phillies Redskins Flyers

vCash
    Is it safe to say that one of Hamilton/Swisher/Ross will be the Phillies RF in 2013?

Most likely Ross, but still one of them I'd assume.

FIRE ME!

I dont do five year plans other organizations do, I guess. - Ruben Amaro Jr

vCash

that might be true. but we would be starting off in a much different place than we were last year. no victorino. no pence. no polanco. no cooch for 25 games. and serious questions about the availability/health of halladay and utley. remember last offseason the expectation was that utley would be ready by the start of the season or shortly thereafter. and it kept getting pushed and pushed.

i understand that victorino and polanco and pence underperformed, but at least we went into the season with a realistic expectation that they would have been at or close to their usual numbers (although i guess we could have easily predicted polanco's decline).

i understand that we may be thinking we were victims of some bad luck last year. but we don't have the same team as last year. and i think we went into last year with much more reasonable optimism about the roster than we would with this roster (assuming we add only young and a decent bullpen arm).

vCash
    Assuming they add an average SP, I see this club as equally likely to win 70 or 90 games. It's really hard to narrow down the likely range of outcomes any further than that.

I agree with your points Hollywood, I think that the organizational philosophy seems to be to hope for the best. It's scary to invest in a guy like Hamilton when you have no idea if his presence will even help the team. Hypothetically, they very well could sign Hamilton and Greinke AND still win fewer than 85 games. Or they could sign neither of them and win 93. It's a tough position to be in as every choice relies on some sort of logical fallacy.

vCash

Offseason Thread

based on reports, and the slow pace of the Phillies off season im starting to speculate how mediocre we will be. i just wish something would happen to boost my hopes for this team. Mariners interested in Cody Ross/Josh Hamilton. Indians interested in Nick Swisher. Phillies dabble in talks for Michael Young but realistically havent done **** and are reportly doing nothing. like wtf? give me a ****ing report or something. sheesh

Phillies Redskins Flyers

vCash
    I'm just glad Amaro hasn't done anything horribly stupid yet. The Revere trade was quite probably an overpay but not a horrendous one.

One day we might have a good GM...

vCash
    Assuming they add an average SP, I see this club as equally likely to win 70 or 90 games. It's really hard to narrow down the likely range of outcomes any further than that.

I agree with your points Hollywood, I think that the organizational philosophy seems to be to hope for the best. It's scary to invest in a guy like Hamilton when you have no idea if his presence will even help the team. Hypothetically, they very well could sign Hamilton and Greinke AND still win fewer than 85 games. Or they could sign neither of them and win 93. It's a tough position to be in as every choice relies on some sort of logical fallacy.
    i hear you. and maybe the position is, let's take a beat here and see where we are/what we have. if we go on a spending spree with so many current questions, it could be all for naught. if utley's knees flare up, halladay cannot regain his velocity/form, howard continues to decline, brown is given the opportunity and just cannot take the next step. if all of that happens it won't matter if we added hamilton and grienke. so maybe the play is, let's try to add some cost effective/controlled pieces and we will have a lot of answers by mid-season. if the team is in contention and things fall our way, we make some moves in-season or at the deadline. otherwise, there could be huge changes next offseason (e.g., no halladay, no utley, no chooch, etc. and big acquisitions)

vCash
    There is no possible way this team wins only 70 games. With all the injuries and bullpen incompetence last year, they won 81.

I'm predicting the final offseason tally on changes will be:

Revere
    Ross
    Young
    M Adams
    S Marcum.

nothing spectacular but solid additions and they keep their 1st round pick. Allows them to be in position to trade Brown or Ruf if needbe with revere in center and Ross in right.
    Keeping the pick helps soften the loss of T may to twins.

Page 59 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast