Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Fowler and Cuddy for Worley and Brown? Ew

Idk why people are thinking the Angels dont pick up Harens option. They tweaked his mechanics and he returned to Dan Haren at the end. I think they'll pick up the option

vCash
    I know I suggested Worley for Fowler, but I have to crinkle my nose at adding Brown and Cuddyer. I consider them comparable overall players in 2013, except one of them costs nothing, is under club control for 5 years, and is young. The other is Michael Cuddyer.

Now that said, Cuddyer is an excellent sneaky pick up for 3B. He's not good at the position, but there doesn't seem to be an option out there with fewer warts now that Headley appears to be off the market.

Some other thoughts...

I know Juan Pierre had a good batting average on a team where nobody could get on base in any manner. But you have to look at what he is as a player. He might be the #40 or 50 LF in baseball thanks to absolutely no power, middling defensive talent, and no arm.

On the Phillies of 2008, you could use a player like that and get away with it. The Phillies of today cannot afford to have an atypical LF - at least not in the mold of Pierre. Frankly, his performance this past season warrants an invitation to Spring Training.

Jeff Keppinger is an interesting idea. The problem I have with it is that he's one of those guys that is going to be annoyingly overpaid unless you're patient. We've seen time and again that if Ruben decides on a guy - even Juan Castro - he's going to pay above market rate. Doing that with Kepp could result in the Phillies signing Frandsen 2.0 for enough money to prevent them from making a mid-season acquisition.

Dan Haren's option is iffy. MLBTR has been reporting based on an old rumor that it MAY be declined. That money would go toward Greinke. So two primary factors seem to be in play. Can the Angels afford both Greinke and Haren? Does Greinke want to stay? I assume if the Angels are worried they'll lose Greinke, they have to keep Haren. I think they'll hang on either way personally.

Brett Myers option is going to be picked up. There has been a lot of talk within the organization about using him as a starter. Since he has a $3 mil buyout, the White Sox are essentially being asked to pay $7 mil for a back of the rotation starter. That's a fair gambit.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    I know I suggested Worley for Fowler, but I have to crinkle my nose at adding Brown and Cuddyer. I consider them comparable overall players in 2013, except one of them costs nothing, is under club control for 5 years, and is young. The other is Michael Cuddyer.

Now that said, Cuddyer is an excellent sneaky pick up for 3B. He's not good at the position, but there doesn't seem to be an option out there with fewer warts now that Headley appears to be off the market.

Some other thoughts...

I know Juan Pierre had a good batting average on a team where nobody could get on base in any manner. But you have to look at what he is as a player. He might be the #40 or 50 LF in baseball thanks to absolutely no power, middling defensive talent, and no arm.

On the Phillies of 2008, you could use a player like that and get away with it. The Phillies of today cannot afford to have an atypical LF - at least not in the mold of Pierre. Frankly, his performance this past season warrants an invitation to Spring Training.

Jeff Keppinger is an interesting idea. The problem I have with it is that he's one of those guys that is going to be annoyingly overpaid unless you're patient. We've seen time and again that if Ruben decides on a guy - even Juan Castro - he's going to pay above market rate. Doing that with Kepp could result in the Phillies signing Frandsen 2.0 for enough money to prevent them from making a mid-season acquisition.

Dan Haren's option is iffy. MLBTR has been reporting based on an old rumor that it MAY be declined. That money would go toward Greinke. So two primary factors seem to be in play. Can the Angels afford both Greinke and Haren? Does Greinke want to stay? I assume if the Angels are worried they'll lose Greinke, they have to keep Haren. I think they'll hang on either way personally.

Brett Myers option is going to be picked up. There has been a lot of talk within the organization about using him as a starter. Since he has a $3 mil buyout, the White Sox are essentially being asked to pay $7 mil for a back of the rotation starter. That's a fair gambit.
    There is no way the Rockies are going to take Worley straight up for Fowler. Worley is going to be coming off of surgery on his pitching arm and Fowler is coming off a career year where he hit over .300. Also, Domonic Brown is not the stud prospect he use to be. He hasn't shown anything to suggest he could be an above average everyday corner outfielder. He is a career .237 hitter with moderate to below average power. I would take what I can for him at this point. The Phillies are a veteran team that needs to win now. Adding Cuddyer and Fowler would put the Phillies right back in the mix considering they are healthy.

vCash
    Holy ****, we're still "win now"? You can actually make an arguments that Cuddyer declined because he couldn't hit better at Coors than in Minnesota.

Also, Dom hasn't played more than 70 games in a season and is 25 and was dealing with injuries last year. Also, Utley didn't start hitting until he was 25. Also Fowler won't hit as well here as Colorado

vCash
    Cuddyer will be 34 come opening day, the Phillies are really in desperate needs of another old declining bat. I'm not even a fan of Fowler because his defense is horrible. I'm not even sure the Rockies FO would do Fowler/Worley just because of his injury. I'd much rather keep Worley and Brown unless they are getting a guy like Headley back in a deal (assuming more pieces would be added as well).

vCash
    The thing about Dom Brown, and I think it's pretty obvious to everyone, is that the game hasn't slowed down for him yet. For some guys it never does, but that's usually because they aren't athletic enough.

The biggest complaint I have about him is that his mechanics are not consistent. It's almost impossible to succeed at the major league level without consistent mechanics. My only other gripe is that he hits too many ground balls for a young power hitter.

From a scouting perspective, I've seen enough to start him against everyone but tough lefties. He's an exciting looking player. I'll be interested to see how he performs on the bases without the hamstring injury.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash

letter to Chris

Dear Chris,
    Just quit don't resign or retire just quit please for the love of god. I cant take another season of your babble. So many of the fans quality of life would improve, you'd be performing a service to the improvement of mankind. I would like to watch the Phils this year with the volume on . Take bobble head Mcarthy with you and leave. No announcement needs to be made just go away. Sit on your couch with your sissy pooch and and tell it "how great Jose Reyes is" or remind it of "those pesky Hariston brothers" tell your lap dog that " Giancarlo Stanton is SO strong" ive heard it a zillion times! YOU MAKE MY EARS BLEED Maybe even tune into a Dodgers game with all your free time and listen to Vin Scully and hows there's some actual silence and how you don't have to babble constantly, pay attention to how he actually calls the game and the plays. You are not good at your job you should not be allowed in Harrys booth JUST GO AWAY let Harry rest in piece

thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wittel55 View Post
    Dear Chris,
    Just quit don't resign or retire just quit please for the love of god. I cant take another season of your babble. So many of the fans quality of life would improve, you'd be performing a service to the improvement of mankind. I would like to watch the Phils this year with the volume on . Take bobble head Mcarthy with you and leave. No announcement needs to be made just go away. Sit on your couch with your sissy pooch and and tell it "how great Jose Reyes is" or remind it of "those pesky Hariston brothers" tell your lap dog that " Giancarlo Stanton is SO strong" ive heard it a zillion times! YOU MAKE MY EARS BLEED Maybe even tune into a Dodgers game with all your free time and listen to Vin Scully and hows there's some actual silence and how you don't have to babble constantly, pay attention to how he actually calls the game and the plays. You are not good at your job you should not be allowed in Harrys booth JUST GO AWAY let Harry rest in piece

thank you
    feel free to take your own advice, because my eyes are bleeding every time I see THE SAME MESSAGE exhibited in your posts...

vCash
    BTW.....fear the beard! The Nats are alive!

vCash
    **** him & the Nats! Now that the Reds lost can't cheer for anybody in national league.

vCash
    I'm cheering for the yanks.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers and Man City fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

vCash
    I'm cheering for the Nats and Orioles, because **** everyone else who's left. And because Werth's still my boy.

vCash
    Ditto, TR, plus I've always hoped the Os would get good soon.

vCash
    Gotta root for my boy J-Werth so Nats all the way. The last thing I want to see happen is the Giants or Yankees win another World Series.

This has probably been discussed at length before on here because Chase's knees are a regular topic, but does anyone know if the "Kobe" knee procedure in Germany would have any effect on them? I only understand the basics of the procedure, so I'm not entirely sure if Chase's knee condition fall in line with something that can be positively treated with it. I think having Utley back a full-year diminishes the need to go out and spend a ton of money on a guy like Hamilton to boost offensive production.

vCash
    **** these playoffs, there is now no possible outcome that doesn't piss me off.

Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast