Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 175765666768 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1012
    vCash
    I feel that the majority of people are highly overvaluing Ruf at this point. If Ruf is starting in our outfield, I don't believe this is truly a playoff contender. Dom should have the starting spot everyday this season even after we add another corner outfield. Stash Ruf in AAA and see if he can replicate what he did last year and go from there.

vCash
    Some people are over valuing Ruf, while others like myself see him as an upside gamble that might be necessary to play if the Phillies want to reach the postseason.

If you bring in a Cody Ross, you limit downside but you also know there really isn't any upside. A Ruf/Brown platoon could combine to be replacement level or even worse, but there's also a chance they produce elite value. If you start either player outright, you get all the downside (more really) without that elite ceiling.

I'm not really convinced that the Phillies are one steady performer away from contention. They are also giving every indication that they will avoid a major investment this offseason.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIlladelph16 View Post
    I feel that the majority of people are highly overvaluing Ruf at this point. If Ruf is starting in our outfield, I don't believe this is truly a playoff contender. Dom should have the starting spot everyday this season even after we add another corner outfield. Stash Ruf in AAA and see if he can replicate what he did last year and go from there.
    so you believe this is a playoff contender with Brown an everyday OFer?

Phillies Redskins Flyers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLee53 View Post
    so you believe this is a playoff contender with Brown an everyday OFer?
    I believe you give yourself a better chance of contention with Brown starting everyday yes, pending final FA acquisitions at least. I also believe we were a contender last year, but the season was derailed by delayed returns from Utley and Howard plus significant injuries like Doc. If we sign a reliable bullpen piece and an everyday corner outfielder, this team is a contender for the playoffs.

vCash
    There's no way to turn this team into a sure fire contender at this point. The team needs to focus on treading water for awhile and remaining in that 81-90 win sweet spot where they remain interesting to the fans.

That seems to be what Ruben is doing.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    I agree. Trust me, I'm in no way saying were are a definitive contender. There was just a lot of things that did not go the Phillies way last season that derailed any shot at contending. 85-90 wins can get you in the playoffs with two wildcard teams, so the way I see it we can be a viable contender if health breaks our way.

If we are floundering a couple months into the season and Dom isn't producing at a respectable level, give Ruf a shot to win the job or begin utilizing a platoon. I just believe to start the season, Dom should be given the starting job to show us something.

vCash
    I don't understand why you would run Brown out there against tough lefties anyway. I'd give Ruf the start against most left-handed pitchers. I think Ruf will get plenty of PAs just by spelling Brown vs lefties, Ryan Howard, and when our other corner outfielder needs a break.

I don't want Ryan Howard wearing down or getting hurt this year. Rest him against tough lefties that he's never hit before.

I honestly am not that high on Brown, and am somewhat excited about Ruf. I have tempered my expectations for him, but right now, I like Ruf a lot more than I do Brown.

vCash
    Angels in serious discussions with Hamilton

vCash
    My biggest issue with Ruf is his defense. People ripped on Brown for his defense, which has improved, but he at least has the tools and body type to be a solid outfielder. Plus Dom has a killer arm and could rack up a decent amount of assists. I don't see that with Ruf to the point I would count on him as an every day outfielder. I'm all for using him a utility guy to spell Dom/Howard against tough lefties, but not every time we face a left-handed starter.

vCash
    if Angels get Hamilton...does Trumbo become available? He would be the perfect fit

vCash
    Yeah and there would go our entire farm system.

Bring on our 3rd WS ring, our first Super Bowl win, 4th NBA Championship, and 3rd Stanley Cup

vCash
    Report says Trumbo and Bourjos might become available if Hamilton signs.
    PROUD CHARTER MEMBER: Phillies PSD HAll of Fame, Class of '08.
    [

ALL YOUR ACE ARE BELONG TO US.

vCash
    ESPN reporting it's a done deal. Hamilton to LAA.
    PROUD CHARTER MEMBER: Phillies PSD HAll of Fame, Class of '08.
    [

ALL YOUR ACE ARE BELONG TO US.

vCash
    5 year deal...wow LAA

vCash
    Source: #Angels, Hamilton in agreement. Five-year deal, as first reported by @jonmorosi.
    via ken rosenthal

Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 175765666768 LastLast