Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 53 of 73 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Bcb the one thing about taking an LT in FA for me is we don't need an elite guy. We need someone who grades out average. I don't think we can develop a high draft pick. We've tried twice in the last few years and its bitten us in the ***. The more I think about it I see emery trading down in the first to stockpile some more picks.

vCash
    Call me crazy but... I could see Webb get extended lol

I mean what's the likelihood we improve on him in the draft? Is Carimi that much better? We thought he would be... Webb has some god awful games but actually the majority of the time he plays well.

Thing is, we really have just 2 quality choices - the 4th is a risky round - so in those choices I hope we take veritable next year starters. I really want an MLB in the first but a guy who can't shed blocks scares me quite a bit. Maybe we should get a veteran. I also think we really need an explosive receiver and I would think that's where we should look. Id be happy with OL help though for sure. Even with our poor track record.

vCash
    When the **** does Webb play well? When he has a TE and rb helping?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub_StuckinSTL View Post
    Bcb the one thing about taking an LT in FA for me is we don't need an elite guy. We need someone who grades out average. I don't think we can develop a high draft pick. We've tried twice in the last few years and its bitten us in the ***. The more I think about it I see emery trading down in the first to stockpile some more picks.
    Yeah this is my preference as well, thinking long-term. Really sucks having five choices total!

vCash
    I understand the argument about developing players, but take a look at this list of FA OTs:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/tackle/

From what I see, it really falls off a cliff after Long, Clady, and Albert (and as I previously said, I think only Long has a realistic chance of hitting FA). Vollmer is an excellent OT, but a RT, and I still think Carimi is back there soon. I don't see Sam Baker, Jermon Bushrod, or Doug Free as an upgrade. You can get similar production out of Webb at a fraction of the cost, and Webb could in theory improve unlike any of those players. I just don't see an upgrade at OT that has a realistic chance at FA.

Edit: It makes me want to throw up that I would take Webb over another OT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Yeah this is my preference as well, thinking long-term. Really sucks having five choices total!
    Not really considering the 3rd were missing netting Brandon ****ing Marshall

vCash
    When the **** does Webb play well? When he has a TE and rb helping?
    Is that really the only time? You would think PFF rankings (which had him middle-pack IIRC) would take that into account.

Anyways I still just have this gut feeling he will be extended...

vCash
    Not really considering the 3rd were missing netting Brandon ****ing Marshall
    I realize that but it still hurts. We have a slim chance of finding a diamond.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Is that really the only time? You would think PFF rankings (which had him middle-pack IIRC) would take that into account.

Anyways I still just have this gut feeling he will be extended...
    I'm pretty sure he is in the bottom 15 in Pass Blocking Efficiency the last time Haggis posted the grades. But, the problem is that so are the guys hitting FA like Bushrod.

vCash
    This is why Emery needs to seriously sit down with Lovie and discuss staff changes. This should be incredibly simple. We take the best available OT in Rd 1 (Eric Fisher, Oday Aboushi, Dallas Thomas, etc) and we develop him. But, I have no faith in this staff, outside of Hot Rod and Toub, to develop anyone. So, we could be stuck with Webb again or an equivalent from FA.

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    vCash
    my question remains at this point which tackle is a biger need right now.

on one hand, signing a legit LT like clady or Long would sure up cutlers blind side, but the fact is Webb hasnt been our worst player on that line. its clearly been Carimi, on the other hand, you hope to god Carimi can develop into the player we all saw him as coming out. you dont want to give up on a guy 1 year in after all.

going after a taclke right now seems both logical in suring up one of our bigest needs, and illogical at the same time. both webb and Carimi are young and could develop.

so the next question is, if we do decide to move on from one of them. who is it, and is it via draft, or FA. LT we have long, Clady and albert in Fa, and tons of guys in the draft that should be better, on the right, we have Volmer Smith, or many Draft picks,

then there is the question should we atack the middle of the line, get some good guards and a good c. let the outside devellop. all of these things need to be questioned IMO before making our decision on who to go with.

to me, the logical thing to do right now is go after a guy like Volmer and Smith (move to guard)in Fa, lower income injury guy who could pan out get two for one deal and sure up two spots rather than one. . make Carimi a backup Swing taclke, let webb and him battle for starting. go into the draft and get Jones who is a guy who can start anywhere on the line.

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

vCash
    I honestly think the Bears should try Carimi at left tackle. Did anyone else read that article about how it can be harder changing from left tackle to right tackle or vice-versa for a player to do than changing from left tackle to left guard or right tackle to right guard? It takes a long time to get used to mirroring their footwork and technique from the opposite side, especially for a guy like Carimi who's been playing left tackle his whole life.

IDGAF

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB mwat15 View Post
    This is why Emery needs to seriously sit down with Lovie and discuss staff changes. This should be incredibly simple. We take the best available OT in Rd 1 (Eric Fisher, Oday Aboushi, Dallas Thomas, etc) and we develop him. But, I have no faith in this staff, outside of Hot Rod and Toub, to develop anyone. So, we could be stuck with Webb again or an equivalent from FA.
    disagree, to me its like our QB situation a few years back, you finaly say we have to stop using top picks and just ****ing get a guy, I say we do that via FA, whether we strike on Clady or Long and get one real franchise type guy, or go after a few lower guys like Volmer and andy Levitri and the go after oen of the sure guards in this draft like Jones and make sure you get a quality start inside.

webb at LT isnt the worst thing, he is still developing. but finaly getting a line that can hold for a moment would be nice, after some point you get tired of buying the same Crappy headphones over and over again and you just go out and buy a pair that will last.

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyben36 View Post
    disagree, to me its like our QB situation a few years back, you finaly say we have to stop using top picks and just ****ing get a guy, I say we do that via FA, whether we strike on Clady or Long and get one real franchise type guy, or go after a few lower guys like Volmer and andy Levitri and the go after oen of the sure guards in this draft like Jones and make sure you get a quality start inside.

webb at LT isnt the worst thing, he is still developing. but finaly getting a line that can hold for a moment would be nice, after some point you get tired of buying the same Crappy headphones over and over again and you just go out and buy a pair that will last.
    That's a silly analogy because getting a new headset is way different than trying to sign a top free agent who plays the highest paid positions in the league.

IDGAF

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyben36 View Post

I'm confused about what you are disagreeing with.

My point is that this should be a simple fix. Webb isn't a 2nd year 1st Rd pick like Carimi so we shouldn't continue to feel obligated to play him. We have an obvious need at OT and it is likely that we can find good value at OT with a high pick. But, we suck at player development and so instead we could end up spending a lot of cap on a FA. That is a massive problem that Emery needs to address with Lovie IMO.

Page 53 of 73 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast