Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Might be true. Who knows. Hes old

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by papirico52 View Post
    I want to keep Ruf and Brown playing, let the guys develop.

BTW I just read something that Doc might not be the Doc of old :s
    Howard/Utley/Rollins are in that same Boat...We also should worry because these guys are getting older while guys who had a good year Ruiz/Krats/Franz/Kendrick will all come back down to earth or fall off the wagon all together. We won 81 games wiith a good amount of guys over achieving and that concerns me. Win or lose this year we need to get young. I would not bring back Utley or Doc when their contracts are up

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    I would totally bring back Utley. Its not like hes going to demand 15mil on the open market

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sexicano31 View Post
    I would totally bring back Utley. Its not like hes going to demand 15mil on the open market
    yes but 8-12 million for a guy with health concerns is a bit much for me...If he can sustain playing at least 70-80 percent of the year then fine

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    For those who are wary of giving up prospects, you need to recognize that not all prospects are created equal. Unfortunately, the bulk of the Phillies best prospects profile as role players. That includes the three I suggested we deal for Headley.

Consider this, of the large bundle of prospects the Phillies have traded recently, how many have contributed positively at the big league level? It's a short list.

Carlos Carrasco has been a fine back of the rotation pitcher and missed all of 2012 with injury. Kyle Drabek has been bad. Anthony Gose got a cup of coffee but has big holes in his game. JA Happ turned pumpkin. Jason Donald, Lou Marson, and Michael Taylor are fringy.

The only one's we might regret are still prospects.

All those names above were better prospects than what we own right now. So if we can flip them into a Chase Headley quality player, I'd advocate for it. fwiw, he's entering his age 29 season.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Even though he wasn't a home grown product I think a lot of people look at losing a young guy like Gio Gonzalez and cringe when the team trades specs. But I get what you're saying. For every GG there's going to be 8-12 Kyle Drabeks. Just wished the return on these trades were higher

vCash
    I would love to acquire Upton and/or Santana that I think Upton would kill it in CBP also Santana would be good in the NL. But for some reason I'd love to see Ichiro in RF as a platoon with Brown.

vCash
    Im not touching Ervin Santana with a 100 foot pole. There are better options like Marcum and Sanchez to spend money on..

vCash
    Upton should be the priority for the outfield. I don't quite understand all the love for Headley. Certainly he is an upgrade but IMO not for the prospect cost. Can someone educate me on why? Ateam seems like you have flipped your view on prospects. Normally I'm a guy who would give up a on prospects for MLB proven talent but Headley doesn't seem like the guy I'd give too much for to acquire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genetic freak View Post
    Upton should be the priority for the outfield. I don't quite understand all the love for Headley. Certainly he is an upgrade but IMO not for the prospect cost. Can someone educate me on why? Ateam seems like you have flipped your view on prospects. Normally I'm a guy who would give up a on prospects for MLB proven talent but Headley doesn't seem like the guy I'd give too much for to acquire.
    Its mostly because he doesnt see the specs we have(biddle, may, etc) as HUGE MLB impact players. I believe he has said multiple times that they are good mid rotation specs. Headley is a great player, especially away from petco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genetic freak View Post
    I didnt understand all the fuss about Headley, then I looked up his stats and they were pretty absurd this year. Not many people would know these numbers without looking them up... .286 avg, 31 HR, 115 RBI (led NL)...would love to add a guy like him to the lineup...but the problem could be that the Padres do not want to deal him...they made some weird signings during the season by extending Quentin and Houston Street, plus they went on a hot streak at the end of the season...they may not be so willing to deal him now.

If Youkilis' option is not picked up, hes a guy I would take a chance on. Veterans have down years all the time then bounce back...look at a guy like Lance Berkman...Youk could come in and be a good defensive 3rd basemen and add some pop to middle of our lineup...

What do you guys think?

vCash
    More than that actually. They have mid-rotation upside. Some things have to go right to even get that far. Or things have to go "not wrong." Ever hear of TINSTAPP?

More experience has taught me that there are prospects and there are prospects. If a guy doesn't have super star upside and isn't already near peak ability, then the numbers say he's trade fodder.

More on the Padres thought process later.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

vCash
    I wouldn't mind Youk at all. Always liked him and I think he'd do fine on the Phillies. He's a solid 3B defensively. I'd take him on a two year deal even.

vCash
    I'm not a fan of guys who break down as often as he does. That said, he's not the worst case scenario. He will be overpaid relative to his skill set.

vCash
    Onto the Padres thought process...

They need to deal Headley this offseason or at the deadline to maximize the return on him. That's not to say they'll deal him at all of course. With new ownership in place, they could very well decide to sign him long term as a franchise cornerstone. If so, you would expect them to trade Jedd Gyorko for a cheap, veteran pitcher.

They could also hold Headley until the deadline to see if they are in contention and then trade him and call up Gyorko. That's the worst case scenario for the Phillies.

The best thing the Phillies can do is put a big offer in front of them today. Convince the Padres that they are going to trade him and then worry about being the ones who get him later. I don't know if that tactic works in real baseball, but it's very effective in fantasy.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast