Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    vCash
    You guys come up with some of the most rediculous ideas ever. You fellas do realize that their are other teams in the major leagues and you cant just pick up every free agent you want or make all of these rediculous trade scenarios. Its okay to hope for the best but damn...some realism would be nice. Trading for Justin Upton or Stanton is NOT going to happen. The Phillies have virtually no trading chips other teams would want. All of our high end talent has huge contracts and we have no farm, not a good combine when trying to trade for an allstar.
    Proud Temple University Alumni
    Eagles: Jeremy Maclin
    Phillies: Jake Diekman
    76ers: Nerlens Noel
    Flyers: Brayden Schenn
    Temple Football: P.J. Walker/Zaire Williams
    Temple Basketball: Quenton DeCosey

...the beginning of a Philly Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    I hate domes... Brees wouldnt have a Job if there were no Domes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Synyster89 View Post
    You guys come up with some of the most rediculous ideas ever. You fellas do realize that their are other teams in the major leagues and you cant just pick up every free agent you want or make all of these rediculous trade scenarios. Its okay to hope for the best but damn...some realism would be nice. Trading for Justin Upton or Stanton is NOT going to happen. The Phillies have virtually no trading chips other teams would want. All of our high end talent has huge contracts and we have no farm, not a good combine when trying to trade for an allstar.
    Captain Buzzkill to the rescue

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    Captain Buzzkill to the rescue
    Just trying to help :cry::cry::cry:
    Proud Temple University Alumni
    Eagles: Jeremy Maclin
    Phillies: Jake Diekman
    76ers: Nerlens Noel
    Flyers: Brayden Schenn
    Temple Football: P.J. Walker/Zaire Williams
    Temple Basketball: Quenton DeCosey

...the beginning of a Philly Dynasty

I hate domes... Brees wouldnt have a Job if there were no Domes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    Umm. No, I'm not concerned in the least. You do realize the Phillies had the 4th fewest K's in baseball? And were tied for the 4th lowest K%.

In 2011 they had the 5th fewest K's. In 2010, it was the 9th fewest. In 2008 and 2009 it was the 12th MOST and 2007 was the 10th most.

If you think back on the quality of the Phillies offenses, they were remarkably better when they struck out more. Obviously, they Phillies shouldn't look to add strike outs. But they should look to add the type of hitter who hits a lot of home runs. Those guys tend to strike out.

Tying that back to Upton, he's not a perfect fit. The team does need a defensively able CF that can stay healthy and doesn't bust the budget. Upton seemingly can fit that description.
    When Howard was in the lineup the entire year, they had the 5th most. I'm sure Utley will add to that as he had over 100 the last time he played an entire season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

vCash
    When you guys think phillies will make there first move?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
    When Howard was in the lineup the entire year, they had the 5th most. I'm sure Utley will add to that as he had over 100 the last time he played an entire season.
    Yet those two guys are probably 40% better at the plate than their replacements. So you're right, the number of K's will go up if they have healthy seasons, but the quality of our offense will also improve.

Which is exactly the dynamic I was trying to point out.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    Yet those two guys are probably 40% better at the plate than their replacements. So you're right, the number of K's will go up if they have healthy seasons, but the quality of our offense will also improve.

Which is exactly the dynamic I was trying to point out.
    Adding Upton and his K's brings me concern whether or not he will help as much as hurt. I believe getting someone who will put the ball in play more is necessary considering the K's they already have.
    Last edited by thefeckcampaign; 11-19-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

vCash
    I'm not sure I disagree with you, but the logic you're presenting is backwards.

The end goal is to score runs. BJ Upton allows the club to score more runs than a guy who hits like Juan Pierre. So you increase strike outs but improve the lineup and team record.

Obviously, Hamilton allows the club to score more than Upton, but then you end up giving most of those runs back on defense and time missed. (and that's a topic for another thread)

I think we're talking towards two layers of the same problem.

first layer - Phillies need to add offensive presence in CF, 3B, and corner OF
    second layer - Phillies should add an elite, high-contact, high-OBP hitter

I'm looking at the first layer for which BJ Upton is an adequate fit as part of a multi-player solution. I think you're looking to accomplish everything in one fell swoop.

I added the elite/high-OBP parts to what you described since I assume you are not referring to a Juan Pierre or Placido Polanco type hitter. Unfortunately, the players that fit that profile have names like Miguel Cabrera, Ryan Braun, or Mike Trout. I gather that you would want a hitter who is at least as good as Pablo Sandoval. Such players do not appear to be available to the Phillies at this time, with the possible exception of Hamilton.

Practically speaking, the Phillies will have to work with parts that are less than ideal if they want to get back to the postseason.
    Last edited by The A Team; 11-19-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

vCash
    Resign Vic to play CF, either Upton or Hamilton in RF, Brown/Ruff/Mayberry in LF. Trade Lee for Mike Olt. Trade Rollins for anything you can get (put Frandsen or Galvis at SS).

vCash
    Curious as to why Ryan Ludwick isn't mentioned in the phils conversation. I know hes not an amazing fielder...but neither were Raul or Burrell. He would be successful at CBP. Also on a side note Ruf already has 10 homers in limited ABs at winter ball

vCash
    Ludwick is at a position where we probably need to either get a better or cheaper player. Especially if the team signs Upton or Bourn. CF is the more important need to address first because we have decent internal options at the corners.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    Resign Vic to play CF, either Upton or Hamilton in RF, Brown/Ruff/Mayberry in LF. Trade Lee for Mike Olt. Trade Rollins for anything you can get (put Frandsen or Galvis at SS).
    I'm cool with a Victorino + Upton/Hamilton solution in the outfield, although I'm highly skeptical we have the money to sign both while still allowing enough to fix other holes.

The rest is where I totally disagree. Trading Lee for a prospect of Olt's pedigree will require us to eat a substantial amount of contract in order to get it done. Not only that, but your trading away essentially our best pitcher. Despite his iffy traditional numbers, he was a borderline Cy Young candidate last year. I would love to get Olt, but there also remains that unknown element about him (frankly he looked terrible during his call-up last year). Then there is the issue of replacing him in the rotation especially if Doc doesn't come back to form. We would have 1 ace, a good pitcher, and some 4/5 starters or worse. What was once our true strength becomes arguably a significant weakness.

Trading Rollins and replacing him with two soft hitting bats is a terrible, terrible plan. He is one of the few "stars" on our team that isn't even remotely overpaid, and he contributes significantly on both sides of the ball. Galvis has yet to prove he can even hit major league pitching enough to warrant starting him, and Frandsen will regress significantly over the course of a full season, mark my words. Both have little to zero power, which is something we already lack, and trading Rollins only hurts us more in that department. For all the flak he seems to get, Rollins has become very underrated in this city.

vCash
    Rollins is very good, people don't seem to realize this. He's been the 4th best SS in baseball over the last 5 years and that doesn't include his MVP season in 2007 (he's 2nd best if you string it out to 6 years). He was also the 2nd best SS LAST season.

So not only has he been good over time, he has been good recently.

Now admittedly, those numbers reflect the paucity of quality shortstops more than Rollins' superstardom. Still, the Phillies do a lot better at SS with Rollins than most other teams do. They should not (and will not) trade him.

vCash
    Sorry I just hate Rollins lazy attitude.

vCash
    Fact: Rollins doesn't give 100% down the basepaths on .2% of his at-bats during a year.

OFF WITH HIS HEAD.
    Long Drive: A Phillies Blog

@LineyPLD on Twitter

Member:
    Phillies PSD Hall Of Fame, Class of 2009
    Eagles PSD Hall Of Fame, Inaugural Class of 2009
    Sixers PSD Hall Of Fame, Class of 2010

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast