Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 97

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    23,791
    vCash
    1500

    Mike Trout Awards Thread

    This will probably be the longest thread in PSD history

    Awards

    ESPN Definsive Player of the Year
    Baseball America Player of the Year
    Baseball America Rookie of the Year
    Sporting News Rookie of the Year
    Fielding Bible CF of the Year
    MLB Network AL Defensive Player of the Year
    Players choice AL Rookie of the Year
    AL Silver Slugger
    AL Rookie of the Year
    Negro League Museum Player of the Year
    Greatness in Baseball Yearly MLB Play of the Year
    Greatness in Baseball Yearly MLB Rookie of the Year
    Last edited by vladdy#27; 12-04-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    __________________________________._________

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    23,791
    vCash
    1500
    Today Trout was named ESPNs defensive player of the year

    http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...tspot&id=29476
    __________________________________._________

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,272
    vCash
    1500
    Clap that's great. He will get rookie and a gold glove. Too bad he won't get a MVP cause of the moronic voters.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,161
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakman View Post
    Clap that's great. He will get rookie and a gold glove. Too bad he won't get a MVP cause of the moronic voters.
    I'm not trolling. Just thought I'd chime in because I'm a Detroit native and Tigers fan (and I watched every Detroit game this past season). Mike Trout is one of my favorite players in the league. His future is unbelievably bright. His season was historic. But it's hard to call the voters "moronic" when Miguel Cabrera led the league in all three major offensive categories and his team went to the World Series (where as the Angles didn't even make the playoffs). Cabrera had one of the greatest seasons EVER. In any other year, Mike Trout would have gotten my vote for MVP. But it's really hard to not give the nod to Miguel based on what he and his team accomplished. The Triple Crown hasn't been achieved since 1967.


    "Lions, Tigers and Pistons, OH MY!" (and Hoosiers...and Redwings....)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    38,772
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by iu92grad View Post
    I'm not trolling. Just thought I'd chime in because I'm a Detroit native and Tigers fan (and I watched every Detroit game this past season). Mike Trout is one of my favorite players in the league. His future is unbelievably bright. His season was historic. But it's hard to call the voters "moronic" when Miguel Cabrera led the league in all three major offensive categories and his team went to the World Series (where as the Angles didn't even make the playoffs). Cabrera had one of the greatest seasons EVER. In any other year, Mike Trout would have gotten my vote for MVP. But it's really hard to not give the nod to Miguel based on what he and his team accomplished. The Triple Crown hasn't been achieved since 1967.
    Nope, it's really, really easy to call them moronic when they make a moronic call like giving Cabrera the MVP over Trout.

    First, it's an individual award, so what "he and his team accomplished" should mean jack. Plus, if the Angels are in the AL Central, they win that division easily, and the only thing "he and his team" would've accomplished was coming in second place. It's absurd to penalize Trout because he wasn't able to keep the Angels out of a clearly stronger AL West.

    Second, the Triple Crown is literally just a collection of arbitrary stats that were once designated as important, but that we now realize no longer are. Using them as the reason he should win MVP is a dangerous thing, though. Is he somehow less valuable if Josh Hamilton hits a couple more HRs and he doesn't win that part of the Triple Crown? Is he somehow less valuable if Trout is up a week sooner and spends that week making few outs, ending the season with a better AVG? Of course not. To add a twist of irony to it, Cabrera's 2011, when he didn't win the Triple Crown, was a better overall season. If he shouldn't win it then, it's hard to argue that a lesser season but one in which he manages to top those three categories is the season he should win it in.

    Third, Cabrera and Trout are virtually identical offensively:

    wOBA
    Cabrera: .417
    Trout: .409

    wRC+
    Cabrera: 166
    Trout: 166

    But, offense is not all a player does. If he doesn't hit a HR, then he can also create or lose runs based on his baserunning skills. Trout destroys Cabrera here, and of that there is obviously no question. There's also what he does with a glove on, and again Trout destroys Cabrera, despite the morons that didn't give him a Gold Glove, and again there's no question about this. So, yeah, Cabrera won the Triple Crown and had a great offensive year. Trout had an almost equally great offensive year, and was also the best defensive CFer in the game, and an elite baserunner. It is impossible to take all those facts together and say that Miguel Cabrera was more valuable because his team played in the AL Central, his bullpen didn't meltdown, and he led in three random offensive categories.

    And that is why it's easy to call the voters moronic.
    Visit my Blog.



    "Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,161
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Nope, it's really, really easy to call them moronic when they make a moronic call like giving Cabrera the MVP over Trout.

    First, it's an individual award, so what "he and his team accomplished" should mean jack. Plus, if the Angels are in the AL Central, they win that division easily, and the only thing "he and his team" would've accomplished was coming in second place. It's absurd to penalize Trout because he wasn't able to keep the Angels out of a clearly stronger AL West.

    Second, the Triple Crown is literally just a collection of arbitrary stats that were once designated as important, but that we now realize no longer are. Using them as the reason he should win MVP is a dangerous thing, though. Is he somehow less valuable if Josh Hamilton hits a couple more HRs and he doesn't win that part of the Triple Crown? Is he somehow less valuable if Trout is up a week sooner and spends that week making few outs, ending the season with a better AVG? Of course not. To add a twist of irony to it, Cabrera's 2011, when he didn't win the Triple Crown, was a better overall season. If he shouldn't win it then, it's hard to argue that a lesser season but one in which he manages to top those three categories is the season he should win it in.

    Third, Cabrera and Trout are virtually identical offensively:

    wOBA
    Cabrera: .417
    Trout: .409

    wRC+
    Cabrera: 166
    Trout: 166

    But, offense is not all a player does. If he doesn't hit a HR, then he can also create or lose runs based on his baserunning skills. Trout destroys Cabrera here, and of that there is obviously no question. There's also what he does with a glove on, and again Trout destroys Cabrera, despite the morons that didn't give him a Gold Glove, and again there's no question about this. So, yeah, Cabrera won the Triple Crown and had a great offensive year. Trout had an almost equally great offensive year, and was also the best defensive CFer in the game, and an elite baserunner. It is impossible to take all those facts together and say that Miguel Cabrera was more valuable because his team played in the AL Central, his bullpen didn't meltdown, and he led in three random offensive categories.

    And that is why it's easy to call the voters moronic.
    I disagree with your argument on several levels. First of all, the Most Valuable Player means they are "Most Valuable" to their team and the game. Take Cabrera off the Tigers and they are quite mediocre. He had the HIGHEST batting average from the 7th inning on in ALL OF BASEBALL. He won so many games for the Tigers it's ridiculous. Secondly, to call batting average, home runs and RBI's just a collection of "arbitrary stats" and "random offensive categories" is insane. That's like saying "ERA and wins and losses " are just some arbitrary pitching stat. C'mon, let's not kid ourselves. Those are THE top three stats any offensive player could have. Also, saying Detroit was in a weak division is not fair. In the playoffs, Detroit beat the A's (in your division)--while the A's had home-field advantage, then swept the Yankees (arguably the best team in the AL) to go to the WS. Yeah, they stunk it up there due to the long layoff, etc. But Cabrera got them there. Period.


    "Lions, Tigers and Pistons, OH MY!" (and Hoosiers...and Redwings....)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    38,772
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by iu92grad View Post
    I disagree with your argument on several levels. First of all, the Most Valuable Player means they are "Most Valuable" to their team and the game. Take Cabrera off the Tigers and they are quite mediocre. He had the HIGHEST batting average from the 7th inning on in ALL OF BASEBALL. He won so many games for the Tigers it's ridiculous. Secondly, to call batting average, home runs and RBI's just a collection of "arbitrary stats" and "random offensive categories" is insane. That's like saying "ERA and wins and losses " are just some arbitrary pitching stat. C'mon, let's not kid ourselves. Those are THE top three stats any offensive player could have. Also, saying Detroit was in a weak division is not fair. In the playoffs, Detroit beat the A's (in your division)--while the A's had home-field advantage, then swept the Yankees (arguably the best team in the AL) to go to the WS. Yeah, they stunk it up there due to the long layoff, etc. But Cabrera got them there. Period.
    Your argument destroys itself.

    Take Cabrera off the Tigers, and you're left with Austin Jackson, Prince Fielder, Alex Avila, Justin Verlander (you know, the guy that won MVP and Cy last year, and should've won Cy this year?), Max Scherzer, Anibal Sanchez, and Doug Fister. That is not a mediocre team.

    ERA and wins and losses ARE just some arbitrary pitching stats. ERA can be heavily dependent in your defense, and wins and losses heavily dependent on your offense. When you can give up six runs and still get the win, you know you're not dealing with a good stat.

    Saying a division was weak over 162 games isn't fair, but using one series in October is perfectly fair? That's just a joke. I'm hoping after a little reconsideration you can see how absurd that is.

    Saying Cabrera got them there is implying that Trout couldn't. This is another absurd argument.

    For this to have any merit, you would have to be saying that Mike Trout shouldn't win the AL MVP because he:

    Didn't close enough games for the Angels (do you have any clue how many blown saves they had?).
    Wasn't the starting pitcher for enough games for the Angels (4.06 ERA in April, 4.52 ERA in July, 5.68 ERA in August).
    Didn't move the team from the AL West to the AL Central (Angels won 89 games and would've easily won the Central, while the Tigers only won 88 and would've finished (gasp!) third in the West, despite the Triple Crown and Miguel Cabrera saving children from burning houses).


    The simple fact is, from the day Trout joined the team the Angels had the best record in the AL.

    And you didn't remotely address baserunning or defense, both of which do actually matter.

    The player with the most value in the American League - and in all of baseball - was Mike Trout. Period.
    Visit my Blog.



    "Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    38,772
    vCash
    1500
    Silver Slugger, too.
    Visit my Blog.



    "Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    23,791
    vCash
    1500
    They'll probably end up creating a couple of awards in his honor

    And maybe rename some awards, the Mike Trout Award, previously known as the Hank Aaron award

    Trout
    __________________________________._________

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cypress,CA
    Posts
    1,732
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by vladdy#27 View Post
    They'll probably end up creating a couple of awards in his honor

    And maybe rename some awards, the Mike Trout Award, previously known as the Hank Aaron award

    Trout
    The Jackie Robinson award (ROY) should be changed to the Mike Trout award.
    MIKE TROUT FOR MVP!!!!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    582
    vCash
    1500
    Roy & mvp.


    YOUR ADD HERE!!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Orange, CA
    Posts
    7,650
    vCash
    1500
    I've been wondering this for a while, but if Trout wins gold glove for center field, is it justifiable to then put him in LF so Bourjos can play CF?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    38,772
    vCash
    1500
    I still think Bourjos is the better CFer. Not only that, but Trout's bat translates better to LF than Bourjos' does.


    But really, they're both so good we could just go with two DH, and have one of them play left-center and the other right-center.
    Visit my Blog.



    "Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    8,971
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    I still think Bourjos is the better CFer. Not only that, but Trout's bat translates better to LF than Bourjos' does.


    But really, they're both so good we could just go with two DH, and have one of them play left-center and the other right-center.
    Something that non-angel fans don' understand is that bourjos really is the better defender, and furthermore he is a lot faster, if the two of them both start next year, Trout really should be in left.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    23,791
    vCash
    1500
    @Angels: CONGRATS MIKE: @Trouty20 named Baseball America 2012 Player of the Year & Rookie of the Year! Trout becomes the 1st player to win both awards in the same season, and the 1st #Angels player to win either award.
    __________________________________._________

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •