26 44.07%
  • Winterfell

26 44.07%
  • GM's of these teams vote here

7 11.86%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

NBA ReDraft Playoffs 1st Round: 4) St. Joseph vs. 5) Winterfell

Welcome to the 2012 NBA ReDraft voting process. The redraft is exactly how it sounds. The rosters of every NBA team are cleared and then drafted again from scratch. Posters from the site draft full rosters under a salary cap and then there is a voting process to make the playoffs. We are now in the playoffs and the head to head matchups have begun. Please remember to vote for the roster and write-up you believe would win a 7 game series. Also remember that every player is considered as healthy for these playoffs. Thank you and enjoy the playoffs!

St. Joseph:
    PG: Mario Chalmers (38) / Eric Maynor (8) / Patty Mills (2)
    SG: Joe Johnson (32) / Leandro Barbosa (16)
    SF: Shane Battier (36) / Joe Johnson (8) / Harrison Barnes (4)
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge (26) / DeJuan Blair (20) / Darrell Arthur (2)
    C: Kendrick Perkins (34) / LaMarcus Aldridge (14) / Mehmet Okur (0)

Winterfell:
    PG – Jameer Nelson / Norris Cole
    SG – James Harden / Raja Bell
    SF – Ronnie Brewer / Stephen Jackson
    PF – Kris Humphries / Tyler Hansbrough
    C – Chris Bosh / Brendan Haywood / Kwame Brown / Hasheem Thabeet

St. Joseph Writeup
    Triangle Offense:
    We will implement the Triangle offense with Joe Johnson running the ooffense similar to the way Kobe Bryant and Micheal Jordan ran it. Mario Chalmers will play the Derek Fisher/Steve Kerr role, he can spot up and hit the 3 ball and handle it a little bit to take pressure off of Johnson. Shane Battier will serve the Rick Fox/Robert Horry/Ron Artest/Scottie Pippen role. Battier is built for this because he is an excellent spot-up shooter, especially on corner 3s. LaMarcus Aldridge will play the Pau Gasol role. He has a solid mid-range shot and is a good passer out of the post. Kendrick Perkins will be our Dennis Rodman. He won't do much offensively, but he will provide some toughness and fight for rebounds.

Winterfell is a very poor defensive team. Nelson, Harden, and Humphries are all below-average defenders. They will try and put Stephen Jackson on Joe Johnson but Johnson has scored 19 ppg on average over 23 career games vs. Jackson. Chris Bosh is also a decent defender to put on LaMarcus Aldridge but Aldridge averages 21 ppg vs. Bosh in his career. Jameer Nelson is a very poor defensive point guard and Mario Chalmers will be able to get his points by working off of Johnson and Aldridge. Battier will be spotting up in the corner and waiting for his open 3s, which he is very capable of hitting over the smaller James Harden. Kendrick Perkins is not an offensive weapon but when DeJuan Blair enters the game he will tear up Humphries.

Defense:
    Shane Battier will lock up on James Harden for this series. Harden will be their main ball-handler and perimeter scorer. Battier has always taken the top scorers on other teams throughout his career. LaMarcus Aldridge will matchup on Chris Bosh, Aldridge has the athleticism to stick with Bosh when he roams on the perimeter. Aldridge also has plenty of size and stregnth to bang down low if Bosh goes down there. Kendrick Perkins will completely shutdown Humphries. Perkins is one of the top man post defenders in the game. Mario Chalmers will guard Jameer Nelson. Nelson is a solid scorer at the point, but Chalmers is a very good defender and should be able to stick right with him. Joe Johnson can easily guard Stephen Jackson and that can help him save some energy for the offensive end.
    Winterfell Writeup
    Congratulations to St. Joseph for making the playoffs. AP and Mr. Nate did a fine job assembling their roster and it’s going to be fun battling against them in round 1.

C – Bosh vs. Perkins (guarded by Kris Humphries)
    Bosh is the #1 option of these teams. In his last season with the Raptors he averaged 24ppg on 59% TS%. He’s a talented scorer in his prime who can score from anywhere on the floor. He’ll be starting at center against Kendrick Perkins. Perkins is traditional role playing center with limited offensive game who can body low post players. This would work well if Bosh was a traditional 5 but he’s not. He can pull Perkins away from the basket in PnR situations and with his mid-range game. Bosh was #22 in the NBA last season in isolation. This is a bad matchup for St. Joes. It exploits Perkins weaknesses without giving any of his strengths. Plus it allows Bosh to slide over and guard LMA because Humphries (a below average defender) can easily handle Perkins and his low 5.1ppg average. Perkins brings nothing to the table offensively and is too slow to guard Bosh. This is a huge advantage for my franchise player.
    Advantage: Winterfell

PF – Kris Humphries vs. Lamarcus Aldridge (guarded by Chris Bosh)
    Look, I understand why people dislike Humphries but he definitely brings things to the table that can help Winterfell in this matchup. Bosh will be guarding Aldridge. Bosh took his defense to another level this season holding opponents to a mere 37% from the field (only 30% in iso!). He was also 9th best overall in defending the PnR. With Bosh matching up against Aldridge it was important to me to get a top rebounder and Humphries was top 5 in the NBA in overall rebounding. He broke out last season asa 14-11 player and can keep Perkins off the boards and help push the tempo with outlet passes. That being said LMA is extremely talented and has a clear advantage here.
    Advantage: St. Joseph

SF – Ronnie Brewer vs. Shane Battier (guarded by James Harden)
    Battier’s career is in a sharp decline. It’s the truth. He’s had his two lowest efficiency seasons of his career these past two years. Ronnie Brewer outscored Battier last season. Shot a higher percentage from the field. Brewer is now the better defender. In fact there were 110 players separating Brewer and Battier in opponent PPP last season. Offensively neither player will make the difference in this series but I do believe having the superior defensive player will pay off dividends in our next matchup.
    Advantage: Wash

SG – James Harden vs. Joe Johnson (guarded by Ronnie Brewer)
    James Harden – 17ppg / 4rpg / 4apg / 1spg on 49/39/84 for a TS% of 66% (one of the most efficient seasons for a guard in NBA History) – PER 21.1 / 9.3 win shares / .230 win shares per 48
    Joe Johnson – 19ppg / 4rpg / 4apg / 1spg on 45/39/84 for TS% of 56% - PER 18.4 / 6.4 win shares / .145 win shares per 48

Here’s something you might not know. Any questions you may have about Harden’s playoff performance should be offset by the fact that no top 30 player in the NBA has been as bad as Joe Johnson in the playoffs. Every year. Even with his sub-par Finals, Harden still averaged 17ppg on 61%TS% for the playoffs. Johnson meanwhile had an abysmal 11.7 PER / 46%TS and a NEGATIVE – 0.2 offensive win shares. For his career, Johnson has a sub 50% TS% and .037 win shares per 48.
    Advantage: Winterfell

PG – Jameer Nelson vs. Mario Chalmers
    Jameer Nelson – 12ppg / 6apg / 3rpg on 38% from 3pt
    Mario Chalmers – 10ppg / 3.5apg / 3rpg on 39% from 3pt
    Jameer is the better playmaker and has a lower turnover rate. Chalmers is the better defender. They are about even on perimeter shooting. Similar to SF, I don’t see either player swinging this series. Both will chip in some scoring and space the floor.

Bench – Cole/Raja/Sjax/Psycho T/Haywood/Kwame vs. Maynor/Barbosa/Barnes/Blair/Okur
    St. Joseph has an advantage in the backcourt and Winterfell has an advantage in the frontcourt. I believe Sjax/Haywood/Barbosa are the only 3 players who could end up playing big minutes and make a difference in this series and we have two of those players. Even I won't pretend it's an edge worth giving myself

Overall:
    At the end of the day there are 3 simple reasons that Winterfell would win this matchup:
    1. St. Joe’s is starting 3 players that scored less than 10ppg last season. Battier and Perkins are particularly limited offensively. Battier averaged 4.8 ppg and Perkins averaged 5.1 ppg. This allows me to focus my defense on stopping his only 2 threats.
    2. Both LMA and Joe Johnson have shockingly poor post-season resumes. Aldridge has never won a playoff series or had a series with a TS% over 52%. His career win shares per 48 is 0.062.
    3. His two best defenders are both poor matches against my top two scorers. Perkins’s strength is not guarding athletic bigs like Bosh on the perimeter and off the dribble. Battier has lost a step and would be exploited by the emerging James Harden.

We believe St. Joseph has a good team but that Winterfell is a bad first round matchup for them and deserves to advance. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

vCash
    Very even matchup here.

My American Hero

KoB Owns My Soul For Life

vCash
    I think overall the experience we have on St. Joseph will bring us over the top.
    'Cause my life is dope, and I do dope shi*

vCash
    The experience you have lol?

Bosh has a ship, and a finals appearance.

Harden has gone farther than J.J in the playoffs twice.

S-Jax - Haywood - Nelson all have a ship or finals appearance.

I don't know what you're going for greet

vCash
    Here's my thoughts:

Ronnie Brewer guarding JJ is a much better match-up than Battier on Harden. Obviously JJ and Harden win those match-ups, but I like Brewer's defense over Battier

LMA VS Bosh is absolutely intriguing and would be fun to see these guys go at it as #1 options for their teams. I trust Bosh a little more defensively and LMA a little more offensively. A wash

Hump over Perkins is a huge win for Winterfell. Perkins sucks. A lot. He's a total dud offensively, he's a meh rebounder, and his defense is vastly overrated from his Celtics days. Hump doesn't deserve the hate he gets as a basketball player where he's a 14-10 player the last 2 years as a role player. That's absolutely fantastic production.

Taking Winterfell in a hard-fought 7 games series

vCash
    Not to mention Haywood is also better than Perkins and he is sitting in a reserve role for us

vCash
    Close matchup even after I read the write-ups.

vCash
    Close it come down to me basically to Harden vs JJ and I have more faith in JJ come playoffs than Harden. I just can't buy him as a teams best perimeter scorer yet, whereas we've seen JJ in the playoffs and what he's capabale of.

Also Chris Bosh as a number 1 those stats are all fine and dandy, but he ruins an offensive flow with the ball in his hands as a main weapon. He stalls a lot and indecisive at times and IMO he's more of a solid number 2.
    As a Raps fan, watching this guy through the years on offense he'll easily put up 20-10 no doubt about that but you can't expect anyone else to get in much of a rhythm with him on offense primarily handling the ball.
    Last edited by Eagles4Lyfe; 10-02-2012 at 02:18 PM.

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbs View Post
    The experience you have lol?

Bosh has a ship, and a finals appearance.

Harden has gone farther than J.J in the playoffs twice.

S-Jax - Haywood - Nelson all have a ship or finals appearance.

I don't know what you're going for greet
    Different types of experience. We have two championship winners in our starting 5, and everyone of them has playoff experience. Unlike your team. Harden also saw a drop-off in the playoffs and when he was on the court trying to run an offense, he didn't do a great job.

vCash
    People realize JJ's numbers have fallen off in the post season right lol.

vCash
    Actually Harden didn't see a drop-off in the playoffs. He saw a drop-off in the NBA Finals. Outside of that disastrous NBA Finals series, he had a damn good post season. Exceeding his season averages in two series (vs DAL in Round 1; vs SAS in WCF).

If you are talking about experience then the experience of guys like Harden and Bosh as key contributors far outweighs that of a Chalmers/Battier which you are alluding to.

Experiencing failure can be good for a player, and we have yet to see how Harden responds after such a horrific Finals series. That is all up for us to judge, while we have seen what happens with Joe Johnson in the playoffs. It's typically not very pretty.

I went with Winterfell because I like the Harden/Bosh/Humphries dynamic. They have a more effective and better bench and I think in the end that they'll win a grind-it-out 7 game series.

Brandin Cooks
    Future Baltimore Raven

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greet View Post
    Different types of experience. We have two championship winners in our starting 5, and everyone of them has playoff experience. Unlike your team. Harden also saw a drop-off in the playoffs and when he was on the court trying to run an offense, he didn't do a great job.
    I can't believe you posted this knowing Joe Johnson is your starting SG.

My American Hero

vCash
    This isnt the same Bosh you have playing with LBJ and Wade either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Baller View Post
    I can't believe you posted this knowing Joe Johnson is your starting SG.
    There's a difference though because of the type of offense we are running.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greet View Post
    There's a difference though because of the type of offense we are running.
    Not buying it.

My American Hero

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast