Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Another college major thread

I know there's been a ton of these. I'm getting my BS in Health Services Administration in about a year and a half but I already have my mind on Grad School. I was originally planning on getting an MBA. However, I've read that unless you go to a top school an MBA is pretty worthless. Most of those top schools have people who have 5+ years of work experience. I don't want to wait that long and now I'm thinking just to get a masters in health care administration. Is there any of you who are or know anyone with an MHA? Are they doing well? Also are their any of you who got an MBA from a "regular b school" and did it make that big of a difference in your salary?

Yall let me slip?!?!

vCash
    Yeah, unfortunately there's a pretty big gap in terms of reputation (and therefore earning potential) in MBAs between a Wharton, Kellogg, Haas, Sloan, Booth, Tuck, etc and a regular B School.

That said, our generation, more and more people are opting not to get a MBA. A MBA was much more valuable in the workplace our parent's generation, but not so much anymore.

I myself, for that reason don't plan on getting a MBA. I just graduated this December from a pretty good undergrad b school and am currently working. I don't foresee myself going back for an MBA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderposting View Post
    I know there's been a ton of these. I'm getting my BS in Health Services Administration in about a year and a half but I already have my mind on Grad School. I was originally planning on getting an MBA. However, I've read that unless you go to a top school an MBA is pretty worthless. Most of those top schools have people who have 5+ years of work experience. I don't want to wait that long and now I'm thinking just to get a masters in health care administration. Is there any of you who are or know anyone with an MHA? Are they doing well? Also are their any of you who got an MBA from a "regular b school" and did it make that big of a difference in your salary?
    You need job experience before you get a MBA (a decent one anyway) and a MBA is only useful if you want to rebrand yourself or if the company you're working for need you to have one in order to promote you. I have a couple of friends who have gotten MBAs at top schools and some found it useless and some found it extremely helpful to advance their careers. It just depends on your goals.