Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 43 of 72 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    There is the RedandGold we all have been waiting for.
    He could potentially move up as the 3rd or 4th best CB in this draft, not as good as Milliner or Banks but I'd put him over Amerson and Trufant.

vCash
    With the 49ers current cap situation, I thought I'd try to get some conversation going in this thread by listing certain players that could be options to be cut to save cap space:

No brainers:

1) Alex Smith- This one has already been discussed to death. If cut prior to March 1st, total cap savings = $8.75 mil [amount that can't be recovered = $1 mil]

2) Parys Haralson- If cut before March 1st, total cap savings = $2.67 mil [amount that can't be recovered = $200k]; if cut later, total cap savings = $2.57 mil

3) David Akers - It doesn't matter when he is cut since he doesn't get a roster bonus. Total cap savings = $3.05 mil [amount that can't be recovered = $567k]

Others to consider:

4) Jonathan Goodwin - Goodwin has had a pretty decent year, but not anything that has been outstanding or irreplaceable. The team has traded up for interior linemen in the last 2 drafts and has a plethora of picks this year. It would be interesting to see if Harbaugh/Baalke have enough faith in the younger players. If Goodwin is cut at any time prior to the 2013 season, total cap savings = $4.35 mil [amount that can't be recovered = $667k]

5) Mario Manningham - This one will be extremely unpopular with the fan base and I'm not sure myself whether or not I'd want to do it. But hear out the rationale. Mario Manningham played very well for us this year, however, he sustained a torn ACL and PCL late in the season. It is very questionable whether or not he will be ready to go for the start of the 2013 season and even if he is, it is unclear how effective he will be. People will point to Adrian Peterson to argue against this, but Adrian Peterson is the exception, not the rule. Most players coming off of late season ACL injuries are not effective the year following their return. Perhaps the team can cut their ties with Manningham and free up some space to bring back Moss plus draft a WR or 2. If Manningham is cut prior to March 1st, total cap savings = $3.95 mil.

***Keep in mind that the 49ers will be less than half a mil from the cap and will still need to fit Goldson, the rookie contracts, and a few budget free agents. The following players are not under contract and perhaps the 49ers will want to bring back any of them cheaply: Randy Moss, Delanie Walker, Larry Grant, Tavares Gooden, Tramain Brock, Isaac Sopoaga, RJF, Leonard Davis, Cam Johnson, Tony Jerod-Eddie, and Darcel McBath.

***Their is also the option to restructure some players contracts or structure Goldson's in a way where he gets a larger signing bonus combined with a very low first year salary to make his cap number a little lighter. Of course the team would have to sweeten that with a lot of guaranteed money.
    Isnt the cap going up?And I'd cut Manningham, and hopefully bring him back at a lower price possibly. I think we'll be just fine cap wise
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Isnt the cap going up?And I'd cut Manningham, and hopefully bring him back at a lower price possibly. I think we'll be just fine cap wise
    The cap is only going up by about $400k to $121 million. Maiocco reported the estimated cap and said that the contracts of the players that are currently under contract for 2013 are at $$120.98 mi. This doesn't include Goldson or any of the free agents. Most NFL contracts go escalate so that small increase in cap is really a decrease in cap. The team will save a good amount of money from Willis' deal, but Bowman's number will be significantly higher this year and most player's contracts will increase. Of course cutting the no brainers will create some space, but we still have to lock up Goldson, sign our rookies (14 picks), and bargain free agents.

Here is Maiocco's article: http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-...ainst-2013-cap

vCash
    Goodwin and Manningham I think are guys who I'd like to see stay but will be cut.

vCash
    The cap is only going up by about $400k to $121 million. Maiocco reported the estimated cap and said that the contracts of the players that are currently under contract for 2013 are at $$120.98 mi. This doesn't include Goldson or any of the free agents. Most NFL contracts go escalate so that small increase in cap is really a decrease in cap. The team will save a good amount of money from Willis' deal, but Bowman's number will be significantly higher this year and most player's contracts will increase. Of course cutting the no brainers will create some space, but we still have to lock up Goldson, sign our rookies (14 picks), and bargain free agents.

Here is Maiocco's article: http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-...ainst-2013-cap
    We can trade Alex before April 1st and save 9.75...I told ya we could trade Smith
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    I don't understand how we lose 12 million? roughly for Willis and were still that close

vCash
    I don't understand how we lose 12 million? roughly for Willis and were still that close
    Because about 95% of the team's salaries increased from last year. Contracts are almost never structured to be the same each year. They typically increase each year. For example, if a player signs a 4 year $20 mil deal, he doesn't get paid $5 mil in each year. It's more likely that it will go something like this: $3.25 mil in year 1, $4.75 mil in year 2, $5.75 mil in year 3, and $6.25 mil in year 4. The players who are under contract just went up in salary. Willis went down, but between the large increase on Bowman's new deal and the annual increases for the large majority of the team combined with the minimal cap increase puts us at a small amount of cap space.

vCash
    We can trade Alex before April 1st and save 9.75...I told ya we could trade Smith
    Yeah, I'm not sure if that is a typo or if that is reality. Only $7.5 mil of his contract is salary. If he's on the roster past March 1st, he's due the $1 mil roster bonus immediately and I don't think that comes off our books with a trade.

vCash
    Yeah, I'm not sure if that is a typo or if that is reality. Only $7.5 mil of his contract is salary. If he's on the roster past March 1st, he's due the $1 mil roster bonus immediately and I don't think that comes off our books with a trade.
    If we trade him, he doesnt get a roster bonus from us. That goes to the team hes traded to

vCash

We wont be using all the picks we have this year. Some will be used to strategically move up a few spots here and there, and some will be used to net picks next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange&Black55 View Post
    We wont be using all the picks we have this year. Some will be used to strategically move up a few spots here and there, and some will be used to net picks next year.
    If you move up, picks cost more so it doesn't matter regardless.

vCash
    PLEASE let us draft K Caleb Sturgis. Guy is just damn good. ray:

vCash
    No, FSU kicker is better. Florida's getting their *** whooped too, gotta love it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSoxGod View Post
    PLEASE let us draft K Caleb Sturgis. Guy is just damn good. ray:
    No, FSU kicker is better. Florida's getting their *** whooped too, gotta love it
    They are both pretty good. I'd give the slight edge to Dustin Hopkins, but I wouldn't mind Caleb Sturgis either. They are the only 2 worth drafting in my opinion.

vCash
    The cap not really going up has been known since before the season started. Maiocco has posted articles about how the Niners have 40 ish players signed next year and are currently projected at less that $1M under the cap since about mid-season. I don't know where you've been...but for someone who calls me stupid and and idiot...you're pretty ignorant.

Page 43 of 72 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast