Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    vCash
    BTW Justin Smith and Ray McDonald's QB pressures are quite down compared to their QB's pressure after week 6 last season. So it's not accurate to say our pass rush isn't struggling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowman53 View Post
    I said it before sunday we need a third pass rusher to help out Brooks and Aldon. We're now 27th in Sacks for a reason.

We're still 4th against the pass despite the secondary not getting a ton of help from the pass rush.
    These two go hand in hand this year, we aren't blitzing as much, usually just 3-4 guys which is going to lead to fewer sacks (simple numbers game, 5 OL+chipping TE+ possible blocking RB > 4 rushing defensive players), but we are playing a more coverage based scheme which is why we're doing so well against the pass. The LBs we used to be blitzing are now taking away alot of the short dump off routes that seemed to kill us last year.

vCash
    Maiocco is going to write a piece later on concerning the pass rush, or the perception of the lack thereof. I guarantee that he is going to take my position on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Maiocco is going to write a piece later on concerning the pass rush, or the perception of the lack thereof. I guarantee that he is going to take my position on it.
    Doesn't matter because he'll likely disregard that McDonald/J.Smith's QB pressures are down compared to last season after week six. At this rate we're basically asking Brooks and Aldon Smith to supply over 80 percent of our sacks this season and that's asking too much imo.

vCash
    We need to blitz a lot more. That's how you force bad decisions and mask a weak ( at least it was last week) pass defense. That's how we forced so many turnovers last year, and thats why we haven't this year. We have changed a lot in 1 year, and its very, very disappointing
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowman53 View Post
    Doesn't matter because he'll likely disregard that McDonald/J.Smith's QB pressures are down compared to last season after week six. At this rate we're basically asking Brooks and Aldon Smith to supply over 80 percent of our sacks this season and that's asking too much imo.
    They aren't getting pressure because they are taking on two blockers for Smith and Brooks. If we send in another guy, whether it be Willis, Bowman, Rogers, then you'll see the sacks go up, and more pressures from Justin and RayMac
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    "Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio does not seem concerned with the pass rush. The reason, he said, is because he has seen quicker passes and the opposition is keeping in more backs and tight ends to serve in pass protection." -Maiocco

"If quarterbacks have all day to throw, then why have they connected on only 11 passes of 20 yards or more? The 49ers have given up only three pass plays of 30-plus yards, and one came on a screen pass to a running back. A year ago through six games, the 49ers gave up 22 pass plays of 20 yards or more, including eight plays of 30-plus yards." -Maiocco

"Justin Smith, who had 7.5 sacks, does not have any while facing regular double-teams. But Justin Smith leads the 49ers with 19 hits on the quarterback." -Matt Maiocco

"Now, we didn't have a good rush on one of the passes they (New York Giants) completed for good yardage," Fangio said. "But that's going to happen some. But I don’t see our pass rush as being an issue right now. Pass rush is a part of pass defense. So although we don't have the sack numbers, which a lot of people want to sink their teeth into, fantasy players want to sink their teeth into sacks. That's not the only measure of a good pass rush. And right now to this point, I haven't seen pass rush as being a weakness for us." -Vic Fangio

vCash
    "Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio does not seem concerned with the pass rush. The reason, he said, is because he has seen quicker passes and the opposition is keeping in more backs and tight ends to serve in pass protection." -Maiocco

"If quarterbacks have all day to throw, then why have they connected on only 11 passes of 20 yards or more? The 49ers have given up only three pass plays of 30-plus yards, and one came on a screen pass to a running back. A year ago through six games, the 49ers gave up 22 pass plays of 20 yards or more, including eight plays of 30-plus yards." -Maiocco

"Justin Smith, who had 7.5 sacks, does not have any while facing regular double-teams. But Justin Smith leads the 49ers with 19 hits on the quarterback." -Matt Maiocco

"Now, we didn't have a good rush on one of the passes they (New York Giants) completed for good yardage," Fangio said. "But that's going to happen some. But I don’t see our pass rush as being an issue right now. Pass rush is a part of pass defense. So although we don't have the sack numbers, which a lot of people want to sink their teeth into, fantasy players want to sink their teeth into sacks. That's not the only measure of a good pass rush. And right now to this point, I haven't seen pass rush as being a weakness for us." -Vic Fangio
    Basically everything I thought as well.

1. Blitzing less people
    2. OCs are designing quick pass plays against us
    3. We're playing a more coverage based system

I see us get alot of QB hits each week, and we've had a couple of guys drop sure INTs the last few weeks (Whitner, Rogers) so it is still working, just not in the sack dept.

On a side note, I still think CB/S could be number 1 priority in the draft.

vCash
    I understand not wanting to give up the deep plays...but great pressure leads to massive turnovers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post

1. Blitzing less people

I see us get alot of QB hits each week, and we've had a couple of guys drop sure INTs the last few weeks (Whitner, Rogers) so it is still working, just not in the sack dept.

I agree. If we re-sign Goldson, then CB should be a high priority. If not, then S should be. I think we can wait on finding Justin Smith's replacement (much to the disagreement of others, I know). We are all set on offense aside from a TE to replace Delanie Walker (unless the coaches believe Celek is that player). The secondary is our biggest weakness aside from special teams coverage in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    I understand not wanting to give up the deep plays...but great pressure leads to massive turnovers
    I think the point is that teams are adjusting to our pressure by getting the ball out quickly. Teams are throwing short passes, which is why we lead the league in stopping teams on third down.

vCash
    I agree. If we re-sign Goldson, then CB should be a high priority. If not, then S should be. I think we can wait on finding Justin Smith's replacement (much to the disagreement of others, I know). We are all set on offense aside from a TE to replace Delanie Walker (unless the coaches believe Celek is that player). The secondary is our biggest weakness aside from special teams coverage in my opinion.
    I believe he can be.

I think a few of our later round picks will be LB/secondary depth selections that will add to our STs unit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post

1. Blitzing less people

We've already talked about some of the safeties that should be available with the 32nd pick in the draft, but which CBs do you like there?

vCash
    I think the point is that teams are adjusting to our pressure by getting the ball out quickly. Teams are throwing short passes, which is why we lead the league in stopping teams on third down.
    Eli had all day. I don't buy the "quick passes" stuff. Just b/c a QB has all day to throw doesn't mean he's going to throw the ball 30 yards down the field. Many have noticed that we aren't getting the pressure on the opposing QB like we did last year.

also, not sure what you mean by the "lead the league in stopping teams on third down" comment. Based on ESPN, I show we are 10th... at 35%. While our offense is tied for 20th at converting 3rd downs at 37.3%.

vCash
    We've already talked about some of the safeties that should be available with the 32nd pick in the draft, but which CBs do you like there?
    I think Banks and Amerson could both be there for us in the 1st. Both have good size, speed, ball skill sets. Amerson is dropping off this year, hard to tell if its just bad luck or if his previous year was just good luck (hard to think 13 INTs is all luck tho). Personally I like Banks a bit more. Been good all three previous years (had two pick-6's against Tebow as a freshman) and is playing well as a senior (2 INTs against Auburn).

Page 8 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast