Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 164
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,308
    vCash
    1500
    So it sounds like the brewers are done on the free agent market after signing Gorzalanny. Previewing the team I would suspect it would look something lie this

    Aoki, Weeks, Braun, Ramirez, Hart, LuCroy, Gomez, Segura
    Maldonado, Bianchi, Scheffer, Gamel, Green/Davis/Prince

    Gallardo, Fiers,Peralta, Estrada, Narveson/Rogers/Gorzalanny
    2 of Narveson/Rogers/Gorzalanny, Badenhop, Kintzler, Henderson, Axford, one of maybe half a dozen guys

    It would be nice to add a veteran bench player (Still rooting for Chone Figgins) and an arm but after Francisco Liriano got 2/14 I don't think anyone will be a respectable value that we can apparently afford.

    When I created this thread I would have been irrate if someone told me the only moves we made would have been Tom Gorzalanny and Burke Badenhop. That be said I am pretty pissed because it seems to me that we were taken along early about how this team would pursue a top of the rotation starter and some back of the bullpen help. It doesn't seem to me that they were genuinely pursuing either.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,833
    vCash
    1500
    I can't be upset with the offseason. In my mind, there was one difference maker starting pitcher on the market, and he was clearly out of our price range.

    I don't think anyone will look back at the contracts the other guys like Dempster, Sanchez and Jackson got and say it was a good deal. The best case scenario is that the deal works out fairly well sort of like the Randy Wolf deal for us was. He was a solid pitcher, probably not worth the money, but still a solid guy. So all in all, it was an okay deal. That's basically the best case scenario for those guys in my mind. Its more likely that the deals don't turn out so well.

    And Melvin did pursue the free agent pitchers, but he was realistic. He saw the Wolf deal. He and no one else really wanted to give Wolf 3 years. But the only way to get the deal done was to give him a third year. We did and look what happened. He was solid for the first two years, then blew up in the third. Melvin wasn't going to make those mistakes again. He wasn't going to offer more years than he wanted to just to get a guy. That's smart business and that's exactly what Melvin did.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 12-24-2012 at 01:01 AM.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    333
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I can't be upset with the offseason. In my mind, there was one difference maker starting pitcher on the market, and he was clearly out of our price range.

    I don't think anyone will look back at the contracts the other guys like Dempster, Sanchez and Jackson got and say it was a good deal. The best case scenario is that the deal works out fairly well sort of like the Randy Wolf deal for us was. He was a solid pitcher, probably not worth the money, but still a solid guy. So all in all, it was an okay deal. That's basically the best case scenario for those guys in my mind. Its more likely that the deals don't turn out so well.

    And Melvin did pursue the free agent pitchers, but he was realistic. He saw the Wolf deal. He and no one else really wanted to give Wolf 3 years. But the only way to get the deal done was to give him a third year. We did and look what happened. He was solid for the first two years, then blew up in the third. Melvin wasn't going to make those mistakes again. He wasn't going to offer more years than he wanted to just to get a guy. That's smart business and that's exactly what Melvin did.
    Agree with what you stated. Pluse, we have to have some trust in our young pitchers at some point and at least give them a shot. They weren't drafted and worked up our system to not start and at least get a shot.

    Our line up is still very good with some nice pieces in the minors, just need to see the potential turn into productive talent from our young pitchers.

    We were going to have a BIG stop gap year at some point in time and that time is here. My only expectations this year is to see some competitive ball, growth from Segura, and hopefully see our young SP's grow, not regress. Give me reason to be optimistic that our drafts are working out and we can build to 14'.
    Great American Baseball Tour: Brewers, Twins, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Royals ,Cleveland, Detroit and Reds

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,308
    vCash
    1500
    You do have to put faith in young guys but you need some inning eaters. Fiers, Rogers, Peralta,Narveson, and Estrada will likely not be able to go more than 180-190 innings assuming no injuries. Adding those innings to a bad bullpen is a bad idea. This is a slippery slope, the offense is great but an injury or two away from being average because of the lack of depth. The rotation has the potential to be good or well below average.

  5. #125
    Dcup's Avatar
    Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    6,150
    vCash
    1500
    The other deal is that we have some pretty valuable trade pieces that may net some pitching at the deadline or even before. You have to look at guys like Weeks, Ramirez and Hart that could be on their way out if we are struggling at the halfway point.

    With an offense like ours I would like to keep Aram and Weeks but Hart is expendable IMO and could net a decent #2 or #3 starter with a BP arm.
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,381
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcup View Post
    The other deal is that we have some pretty valuable trade pieces that may net some pitching at the deadline or even before. You have to look at guys like Weeks, Ramirez and Hart that could be on their way out if we are struggling at the halfway point.

    With an offense like ours I would like to keep Aram and Weeks but Hart is expendable IMO and could net a decent #2 or #3 starter with a BP arm.
    Another year like last year for Hart, and he will become too expensive for us, honestly.

    We could technically afford him but it wouldn't be worth it for us unless the 2-5 in the rotation turned out to be the next San Fran rotation.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,175
    vCash
    1500
    I think with the two signings The Crew really had a nice little offseason. Gorz and Gonz are both pretty decent pitchers in the pen, obviously our biggest need, probably more important their lefties.

    Segura hopefully can develop a little more on both sides, I just have a question for some of you diehard Crew fans.
    What is going to happen with Matt Gamel? Is he just going to come off the bench? I know most of you are all for moving Hart permanently to 1st(something I'm not all for) which would mean Gamel would be odd man out. I for one still think he can be a very productive hitter given a full season of at bats. Obviously he needs to stay healthy but what do some of you think?
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscf85bcd0.png
    _____________
    " Failure is only defined by someone's perception of what failing is."-His Airness

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,904
    vCash
    1500
    To start the season, Hart will be the 1st basemen and Mat Gamel will be a utility guy likely playing both corner infield and corner outfield spots. With inter league all season long he will also fill the dh spot when needed.

    If the Brewers fall out of contention they will likely trade Hart. If that happens I would guess Gamel steps into the first base role until the end of the season.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,833
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by time4change View Post
    I think with the two signings The Crew really had a nice little offseason. Gorz and Gonz are both pretty decent pitchers in the pen, obviously our biggest need, probably more important their lefties.

    Segura hopefully can develop a little more on both sides, I just have a question for some of you diehard Crew fans.
    What is going to happen with Matt Gamel? Is he just going to come off the bench? I know most of you are all for moving Hart permanently to 1st(something I'm not all for) which would mean Gamel would be odd man out. I for one still think he can be a very productive hitter given a full season of at bats. Obviously he needs to stay healthy but what do some of you think?
    I think gamel could probably be a solid player too, but I don't think he will be better than hart. Corey actually plays a very good first base (better than gamel does) and he's a better hitter than gamel will be next year too. With gamel's limited ability with the glove, I think he's not super valuable. If you aren't going to be a very good fielder, you need to be a very good hitter with a fair amount of pop. I basically see gamel as a Lyle overbay type of player who's not quite ad good defensively.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Roosevelt Island, NY
    Posts
    1,873
    vCash
    1500
    I don't want to experiment with Gamel. I like the kid but I'd rather see Core at 1st
    JORDY NELSON #87
    Brewers
    Packers Badgers


    Brewermobile


    NFL=Passion and intensity
    MLB=History and finesse
    NBA=All about lookin' pretty
    NHL=Money's more important than teeth

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,414
    vCash
    2267
    Gamel should have been traded 2 or 3 years ago. Kinda like the Tony Gwynn effect. We'll get a load of crap in return for him now.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,904
    vCash
    1500
    Gwynn was never good though.

    I go back to that rumor of Gamel for Morrow and I wonder if that was ever real.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,414
    vCash
    2267
    I never thought Gamel was at the major league level. He had a good start last year but who knows.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    595
    vCash
    1500
    With alot more interleague play Gamel as a DH would be an option, and to rest Hart or an outfielder when they need a break. So between Gamel, Hart, Braun, aoki, and Gomez you can always give a guy a rest if needed, I really like it.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,414
    vCash
    2267
    There's not "more" interleague games. It's just it's not all at the same time as everyone else.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •