Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    How do you know Melvin didn't make any offers or talk to teams and players? He has a way with making surprise moves. Everything that happens is pretty quiet until it happens because there isn't the media pressure like other markets.

Yeah let's deal YoGa so we have no veterans on the pitching staff besides Narveson. It makes as much sense as dealing Weeks and just throwing Scooter out there. Let's just trade the whole offense for starters and bullpen guys.

vCash
    To say we have a 2 and a bunch of 4-5 isn't quite right because not of the other guys have had enough of a chance to prove where they sit in a rotation. We could have a couple twos and a bunch of threes. Looking at the roster now this team is about a .500 team but with the bullpen they have more potential to be worse than better.

We don't have the top prospects to trade for a top of the rotation guy like Shields or Dickey. In my opinion paying for 13 million for a experienced starter wasn't a great option with the reduced budget.

In my opinion when a team is left short financially and has holes the best course of action is to get some guys who have the potential to be what you are looking but will cost less. Give those guys a chance and if they don't cut it use the internal options.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucky Woods View Post
    When did I say ace? I also meant it be nice to see Melvin explore a trade, not make one. You never know the price until you check.

Who else thought we should have dealt Yo to Kansas City? If we got the same package TB got it would be a no brainer. Right??? Unfortunately we have a front office that is delusional if they think they could contend this year.

I wish we had a young G.M.
    And how do you know that we haven't explored a trade yet? Just because mlbtraderumors doesn't say it, doesn't mean we haven't made calls. And like I said, the price of pitching is very steep.

And no, I wouldn't have traded Yo to KC. First off, I doubt we would have gotten the same deal. James Shields is actually a very good pitcher, pretty much an ace, but since he played in Tampa, he didn't have the fanfare. Go back and look at his numbers, he was very good. So I'm sure KC had Shields higher on their priority list than Yo. Also, they got Wade Davis too, who isn't a slouch either.

Also, you can't just tank the season. Look at the Brewers in the 90s. You couldn't get anyone to watch a game. Now the stadium is sold out a ton. We still have a team that's going to be competitive, entertaining, and will draw in fans. Why would you want to diminish one of the good sources of revenue the team has. Our TV deal isn't all that great, so we need to continue to draw in fans if you want to keep the payroll at a competitive level and not be the Marlins.

Quote Originally Posted by ********** View Post
    How do you know Melvin didn't make any offers or talk to teams and players? He has a way with making surprise moves. Everything that happens is pretty quiet until it happens because there isn't the media pressure like other markets.

Yeah let's deal YoGa so we have no veterans on the pitching staff besides Narveson. It makes as much sense as dealing Weeks and just throwing Scooter out there. Let's just trade the whole offense for starters and bullpen guys.
    I agree with you here, but at some point, I honestly wouldn't mind giving Scooter a shot if we can get something somewhat worthwhile for Rickie.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    To say we have a 2 and a bunch of 4-5 isn't quite right because not of the other guys have had enough of a chance to prove where they sit in a rotation. We could have a couple twos and a bunch of threes. Looking at the roster now this team is about a .500 team but with the bullpen they have more potential to be worse than better.

We don't have the top prospects to trade for a top of the rotation guy like Shields or Dickey. In my opinion paying for 13 million for a experienced starter wasn't a great option with the reduced budget.

In my opinion when a team is left short financially and has holes the best course of action is to get some guys who have the potential to be what you are looking but will cost less. Give those guys a chance and if they don't cut it use the internal options.
    You nailed it on the head with the trades. Its hard to trade for a very good pitcher unless you have major league ready, top end prospects. So we can't continue to do that every year. We need to develop from within, and when we get a excess at a certain position, then you make the trades.

Like I said earlier, we are in a unique situation right now. We have to field a team that is competitive enough that we continue to draw in fans, but need to have an eye on the future as well. We can't just trade all of our major league talent for prospects, but we need to still develop from within. Its a hard situation to be in, but can pay off if you draft well.

vCash
    I'm not worried...Melvin has a thing for surprising us and it's been awfully silent in Mil-town thus far.

vCash
    Idk I'm just trying to be realistic, I hope to God I'm wrong, but I don't see the potential some of you guys see in the team.

vCash
    Another scrub INF added for depth.

Brewers sign INF Murphy

By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel Dec. 17, 2012 11:50 a.m.

The Brewers have signed veteran utility infielder Donnie Murphy to a minor-league contract for 2013 with an invitation to big-league spring training.
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/183808301.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucky Woods View Post
    Idk I'm just trying to be realistic, I hope to God I'm wrong, but I don't see the potential some of you guys see in the team.
    Here's what I see for potential. I don't see any reason the offense won't be roughly the same. A couple guys might regress a bit, but another couple guys, like Weeks will be better, plus Nori starts right away, instead of screwing around of a month of him off of the bench. There's no way Segura can be worse than what we had a short, so he'll be as good if not better as far as production goes.

Yes we have questions in the starting pitching. Can we replace Grienke's production? Probably not, but Wily Peralta has potential to be a very good pitcher. If he can keep his command to where it was at the end of the year, like keeping it low in the zone, he can be a nice number 2. But replacing Marcum and Wolf's production shouldn't be overly difficult. They both were either hurt or pitched poorly, so we can make up some production in their spots. Fiers has been a good command pitcher basically whole career, even in the minors. He won't be a 2.5 ERA kind of guy his whole career, but he can be a nice pitcher. Marco can be able to replicate his year from last year, so that pretty much leaves us one spot open for Narveson, Rogers, Thornburg and even some other minor league options. Hopefully we can find even an average guy from that bunch to be the 5th starter.

And I know our bullpen doesn't have the names it had last year or that other teams have, but can it really be that much worse than last year. We blew so many games, that even by the law of averages, our bullpen shouldn't blow as many games. (I know this isn't the best explanation for confidence in the bullpen, but I've always been a believer that big names and big money in the pen doesn't always result in success. I'd rather have quantity over quality because they have their ups and downs so much, I'd rather take the hot hand approach.)

vCash
    Don't foresee him doing anything worthwhile

vCash

2012-13 Offseason Thread

Who? Murphy or Melvin?

vCash
    Murphy but I don't see Melvin making any big moves either. The biggest thing he'd do out of anything is to bring Marcum back which probably won't happen.

vCash
    Oh ya, Murphy is a depth signing. Like last years maysonet. I think bianchi has the best chance at being that back up ss right now.

vCash
    I'm fine with Bianchi actually. Didn't have a lot of success in his first taste of the majors but it's gotta be tough to go from starting to bench and not have the routine. He'll have to figure it out and if he doesn't there's plenty of other players in the world to grab from. All about the cost of the player in this case, which is great at the very little area.

vCash
    The Orioles signed Zac Braddock and Travis Ishikawa. They seem to like the young Brewers. The Cubs also about to sign Carlos Villanueva. Just a few quick notes on former Brewers.
    Last edited by brewboy288; 12-19-2012 at 08:38 PM.
    Milwaukee Brewers
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Green Bay Packers
    Cincinatti Bengals
    BOSTON BRUINS OR DIE

Ive got a twitter! @WiteJamesHarden
    I follow back!

vCash
    The Cubs are talking to Edwin Jackson as well.
    Milwaukee Brewers
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Green Bay Packers
    Cincinatti Bengals
    BOSTON BRUINS OR DIE

Ive got a twitter! @WiteJamesHarden
    I follow back!

vCash
    I hope Braddock can figure it out. He has talent.

Villanueva should have never been traded.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast