Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I'd sell high on any of these minor league pitching the Brewers don't feel comfortable on. Not every one of these guys is going to pan out, it's just a matter of deciding WHICH are the best ones to take the gamble on.

I don't think Hammy may be that far out of the realm of possibility, people will be hesitant to pay the big $ they would with an Albert because of the addiction history, we have the ballpark and also his former mentors that saved his life.
    I really think Peralta is the only one with the fairly high trade value. From what I've heard, there's a lot of teams out there that are worried whether or not Thornburg can actually make it as a full time starter, which obviously hurts his trade value. Fiers isn't a spring chicken at this point, so I doubt a team would give up a quality pitcher that could actually make a difference on this team. Rogers has a long injury history, and isn't that young of kid either. Bradley, Jungman and those guys are still in lower levels of the minors. They have good trade value, but we definately wouldn't be selling high if we traded them now.

And a team will still give Hamilton pretty big money. Sure he won't get Albert money, but I think teams saw how well that worked this year, and they'll be skeptical to give any player Albert money. Hamilton is so talented that someone will take a chance on him for big money. I hope we aren't that team.

vCash
    Signing Josh Hamilton would cripple the club.

vCash
    Here's my new idea for the offseason.
    Free Agents) Dan Haren (2 years 24 million) Mike Adams (2 years 10 million) Juan Carlos Ovideo (1 year 3 million+team options), Eric Hinske 1 yr 1.5 mil
    Trade) Chone Figgins for Kentrail Davis, Mariners pay salary

Lineup
    Aoki
    Weeks
    Braun
    Ramirez
    Hart
    Lucroy
    Gomez
    Segura

Bench
    Maldonado
    Gamel
    Figgins
    Schafer
    Hinske

Rotaion
    Yoga
    Haren
    Estrada
    Fiers
    Peralta

Bullpen
    Axford
    Adams
    Oviedo
    Veras
    Rogers
    Narveson
    Henderson
    Last edited by jay87shot; 10-09-2012 at 01:01 PM.

vCash
    Thats actually pretty realistic, but I personally dont like giving Haren 12 mil a year.

vCash
    Buster Olney wrote that Hamilton could be a possibility for the crew. Our hitting coach used to be his mentor. Our bench coach knows him well too. That would be an awesome lineup.

vCash
    We need piching first, I would hate to loose games 10-9 or 7-8

vCash
    We'll out score em then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thrice4 View Post
    Buster Olney wrote that Hamilton could be a possibility for the crew. Our hitting coach used to be his mentor. Our bench coach knows him well too. That would be an awesome lineup.
    I would think that's all speculation. Its one of those, well he knows a couple guys in the clubhouse, so maybe he'll go there, but I'm doubting it. It sorta makes since in our lineup since we could use a lefty in the lineup and cf isn't certainly locked up, but financially it may be crippling. If we sign Hamilton, we'll be taking a huge gamble pretty much 4 of our young pitchers panning out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcs Papa View Post
    We need piching first, I would hate to loose games 10-9 or 7-8
    Like I said above, it depends on how we feel about our pitchers. I'm not certain we'll be able to sign a pitcher that's really significantly better than what we have, but it is a big gamble.

vCash
    Id take a gamble with our young pitchers to get Hamilton. I think he's worth it.

vCash
    If we sign Hamilton we will be looking at a drought less playoff streak that last a while you can say goodbye to all our young talent. Off course there is a chance we could sign him but there is a chance every team could sign him. There will be 5 or 6 teams that have the money that will make him good offers.

From what I read writers have said that if Hamilton doesn't get any thing longer than 4 years or 100 million the brewers have a shot. 4 yrs 90 mil might get the brewers in on him but that will also get a bunch of other teams that he would probably prefer to go to. No doubt our offense would be B.A. but our pen would be worst than this year if that is imaginable (on paper at least).

I like our young pitchers but I don't have a ton of faith in Rogers, Estrada,and Fiers to be better than last year. We really need a reliable arm at the top of the rotation. Also there is room for the offense to improve if Weeks is more consistent, LuCroy stays healthy, and Segura lives up to his potential.

vCash
    The offense will be just fine without Hamilton. No way Weeks has that bad of year again, and Gomez was impresive when he became the every day starter.

vCash
    Didn't we learn from 2009, that all offense is just not going to work. Is our starting pitching better than 2009, of course. But I'm not willing to bet it all on all these young guys. Are guys like Peralta, Fiers, Rogers, etc just a flash in the pan, how many innings can they pitch, are they for real or just having success when they first get up there and then when hitters figure them out how good will they be, happens all the time. Remember in 2008 when Parra was doing good as a starter, then looked what happened after he had been in the majors for a while. You just never know. Sign 1, maybe 2 starters. Definitely get a few arms in the bullpen, and a few bench guys. Thats where the money should be going, not Josh Hamilton.

vCash
    I'm ready for Prince to get his ring and the offseason to start

vCash
    Ya, I've been rooting for the Tigers since the A's lost.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    If we sign Hamilton we will be looking at a drought less playoff streak that last a while you can say goodbye to all our young talent. Off course there is a chance we could sign him but there is a chance every team could sign him. There will be 5 or 6 teams that have the money that will make him good offers.

From what I read writers have said that if Hamilton doesn't get any thing longer than 4 years or 100 million the brewers have a shot. 4 yrs 90 mil might get the brewers in on him but that will also get a bunch of other teams that he would probably prefer to go to. No doubt our offense would be B.A. but our pen would be worst than this year if that is imaginable (on paper at least).

I like our young pitchers but I don't have a ton of faith in Rogers, Estrada,and Fiers to be better than last year. We really need a reliable arm at the top of the rotation. Also there is room for the offense to improve if Weeks is more consistent, LuCroy stays healthy, and Segura lives up to his potential.
    First off, you're right on the Hamilton contract front. We aren't players initially, but if the offseason starts to drag on longer than expected, kind of like it did for Prince, I could see us putting an offer together around what you said, especially if we defer a little money like we did to A-Ram.

I don't think it matters what the bullpen looks like on paper. Everyone seems to be expecting a big bullpen signing, but like I keep saying, those don't usually work out. In all honesty, bullpen pitchers usually aren't that good to start with, and that's why they are inconsistent. Generally speaking, if a pitcher is really talented, you either try to stick it out with him as a starter, or you turn him into a starter, so that's why the bullpen pitchers are inconsistent. It seems as if the key is to sign a bunch of minor league deals, bring them all into camp and let them compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcs Papa View Post
    The offense will be just fine without Hamilton. No way Weeks has that bad of year again, and Gomez was impresive when he became the every day starter.
    Yes, the offense is fine without Hamilton, but that doesn't mean it won't be better with Hamilton. He would make the lineup so deep, and his left-handed bat would be a nice balance. I doubt we sign him and I don't want to break the bank on him, but if the market doesn't develop all that well for him, I'd consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by MU and UW Fan View Post
    Didn't we learn from 2009, that all offense is just not going to work. Is our starting pitching better than 2009, of course. But I'm not willing to bet it all on all these young guys. Are guys like Peralta, Fiers, Rogers, etc just a flash in the pan, how many innings can they pitch, are they for real or just having success when they first get up there and then when hitters figure them out how good will they be, happens all the time. Remember in 2008 when Parra was doing good as a starter, then looked what happened after he had been in the majors for a while. You just never know. Sign 1, maybe 2 starters. Definitely get a few arms in the bullpen, and a few bench guys. Thats where the money should be going, not Josh Hamilton.
    I don't fully agree with that. Yes, these guys may be a flash in the pan, but you don't get good deals on pitchers in free agency. Its not like we're resigning Grienke. We are going to sign one or two mediocre guys who's best case scenario is they turn into a Randy Wolf type signing, where we give a guy an extra year. Wolf was probably worth it for his deal until the final year that we had to give him that no one else was giving him. And worse case scenario is we get another Suppan signing (or something like a Lackey for the Sox). I'm leary of signing starting pitching. We probably do need a vet or two, but I don't know that we'd get anything that's really a major improvement over what we have.

Sure Fiers may not pitcher 2.00 ERA ball all year next year, but I still think he's solid. He's a good command pitcher who's intelligent. He mixes his pitches up very well and locates well and that's why he's a high strikeout pitcher without having a blow away pitch. Estrada has been solid ever since he's been here. His stuff is good and as long as he can avoid the long ball, he's good. Peralta may have the best stuff of any pitcher on the team, and he did a nice job of keeping the ball down when he arrived last year. But I don't know that Edwin Jackson for an inflated deal is really that much better than these guys and financial flexibility or a Josh Hamilton.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast