Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    Apperently we will have a budget around 80 million instead of the estimated 90. Attenasio is a business man and appears to be attempting to make back money lost this past year. I was expecting about 23 million to spend at a 90 million budget, 80 puts us at about 13-15 to spend. It's going to be hard to get a couple arms at 13 million if we don't trade Hart or prospects. This is a terrible sign for Milwaukee baseball, this team will be going into the season with a short handed pitching staff for sure.
    I don't know how this is really a "terrible" sign for Milwaukee baseball. First off, starting pitching hasn't really been signed yet. Basically everyone is waiting for Grienke to set the market. And even if we don't sign much of a starting pitcher, I'm not sure we really have to. Do you really want another Randy Wolf type signing? I'm not really sure a Wolf type guy is that much better than a Mark Rogers, Marco Estrada, or even a Chris Narveson, especially since those guys are cheap enough to allow for more flexibility to trade for someone if we have to, whereas another Wolf type guy can restrict the payroll for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by brewboy288 View Post
    Anybody else kinda pissed that they've done jack **** to improve our team?
    Not at all. Are you really that comfortable with the contracts that have been handed out thus far? Its not like we've missed out on a whole different great players at crazy good prices.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucky Woods View Post
    Well we made a move to acquire our LOOGY

Signed Travis Webb

SMH

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...avis-webb.html
    SMH and are probably the two most annoying "phrases" in the history of the internet.

It was a minor league signing. If a LOOGY is all they're looking for in a lefty reliever he actually might be worth a serious look. Lefties hit just .186/.273/.279 against him last year. Sure it's only 99 PA, but that's pretty good.

vCash
    And actually those types of signings are the reliever signings that usually net the most value. When you sign a big name reliever, you're lucky to get the value out of that deal. You usually have to sign them for 2-3 years, and more money than they are worth. They generally struggle at least one of those years.

The minor league deals don't always work out, but its a low risk thing. If he struggles in spring training, he can sit in Nashville in case he gets hot. But there's always a chance that he over achieves, and that can turn out very well for us.

vCash
    That's because they're not guaranteed anything. When a team wastes millions on a player they tend to stick with him longer than necessary just hoping the money they wasted pulls through and you get some value out of it.

vCash
    Right. This is how free agent contracts for relievers work.

1st year: 12 innings then injured for the rest of the season
    2nd year: misses the first month while regaining strength and has to be used gingerly because of injury risks. Pitches 37 mediocre innings.
    3rd year: Pitches well for 60 innings. Then bolts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by long ball View Post
    SMH and are probably the two most annoying "phrases" in the history of the internet.

It was a minor league signing. If a LOOGY is all they're looking for in a lefty reliever he actually might be worth a serious look. Lefties hit just .186/.273/.279 against him last year. Sure it's only 99 PA, but that's pretty good.
    Bro I was being sarcastic. I just find it funny that it's one of our first moves. I kind of like that there not going after geriatric pitchers this year, and not spending a ton on relief pitching.

vCash
    Wow, the reds got a lot better today. The Diamondbacks made one of the dumbest trades I've seen in a long time. They give up a top 10 prospect and a solid reliever for a blocked SS who isn't a top 100 prospect and a couple garbage guys.

vCash
    Why can't we fleece a team like the Rays did to the Royals today for once? The Royals GM had to be drunk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Why can't we fleece a team like the Rays did to the Royals today for once? The Royals GM had to be drunk.
    Dayton Moore is not a good gm. The rays have built a great deal of depth at sp and had the ability to trade from that depth without sacrificing their ability to contend in 2013. The brewers don't have that depth at any position.

vCash
    I agree that the Royal/Rays deal was in favor of the Rays but to me Jeremy Guthrie for 3/25 is far far worse.

vCash
    Guthrie was a laughably bad signing. That guy should have been getting a 1 year deal worth about $4 mil. the fact he got a 3 year deal regardless of the $$$ is hilarious. The Ervin santana acquisition was also terrible. At least James shields is really good.

vCash
    maybe the braves throw Juan Fransisco and some minor leauge pitchers for Hart?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl Bill View Post
    maybe the braves throw Juan Fransisco and some minor leauge pitchers for Hart?
    It would have to be a pretty interesting minor league pitcher. Juan Francisco is absolute trash. I doubt the Brewers would have any interest in him at all.

vCash
    Marcum said today in a radio interview he's open to resigning with the Brewers. I think that's the first thing we've heard from either side since free agency began.

The Red Sox are reportedly in serious talks with Dempster. If he signs with the Red Sox I won't cry, but I'd like them to sign him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by long ball View Post
    Marcum said today in a radio interview he's open to resigning with the Brewers. I think that's the first thing we've heard from either side since free agency began.

The Red Sox are reportedly in serious talks with Dempster. If he signs with the Red Sox I won't cry, but I'd like them to sign him.
    I heard the Marcum thing but when asked about pretty much losing Dempster to Red Sox, Melvin said he's not chasing any more SP's which, in turn, makes my outlook for next year nose dive.
    Great American Baseball Tour: Brewers, Twins, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Royals ,Cleveland, Detroit and Reds

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast