Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    vCash

Spring Training Discussion

Much like Crewfan13 did in the Estrada thread, I wanted to drum up a little more discussion in this forum. I know the thread is kind of late and I will not be able to update all that often, but I have been reading some good things about players in ST so far.

Hiram Burgos SP
    Scooter Gennett 2B
    Blake Lalli 1B
    Michael Olmstead RP
    Caleb Gindl RF
    Logan Schafer CF
    Johnny Hellweg P

Just wondering if you guys are hearing additional things about some of these guys or others.

I'm wondering if the initial emergence of some of these guys gives them a better shot at making the final roster or making some others ( like Rickie Weeks) expendable.
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

vCash
    I've always sort of been pulling for Scooter. I don't know if its because he's a little guy who everyone doubted, or if its because he just seems like the type of guy who produces everywhere, but I really hope he emerges. Everything I've seen on him basically defies logic. He shouldn't be good, but he produces at basically every level and always hits for a good average. He really seems like the David Eckstien type. The guy who doesn't have the physical tools but does the dirty work and succeeds.

I don't think he'll make Rickie expendable, especially not right now, with Rickie looking to play a prominent role in the offense last year. Plus Rickie's value probably isn't super high right now with his poor last year. That being said, if we come out and struggle as a team, but Rickie plays well, I'm not opposed to seeing what we can get for him.

vCash
    Also, I can honestly say I've never even heard the name Blake Lalli until I was on Twitter and Haudricourt tweeted something about how he might be playing his way into the first base competition. But like I said, I have no clue anything else about him.

vCash
    Scooter is a fun player to watch. I agree he won't replace Weeks but he's a viable option if there's a trip to the DL.

vCash
    I'm really curious to see who will play first base for the first couple of months. Taylor Green might be the best option and I hate that.

vCash
    If Green could get his bat going it would be a plus to our lineup. That lefty bat would be huge. Something like .280 AVG would be even better. I really think Gonzalez is going to play quite a bit at 1B for awhile. I'm not sure who will start the season however.

vCash
    Martin Maldonado playing first in the WBC...wonder if the Brewers will pursue that avenue a little.

vCash
    Sounds like Hunter MOrris is struggling.

What do you guys think of Gomez's extension? Personally, I think he is going to hit 25 HR's and steal 50 bases this year. If he can get his OBP up, watch out. Could be a gold glover this year too since he should play 140 games. Maybe the talent is starting to take shape.

vCash
    I don't mind it, but I'm not sure I love it or anything yet. If we get the last season or a better version of his last season, I think we got a pretty decent deal. If he regresses to his earlier form, we didn't get a great deal. To me, I would have loved to see him play one more season at the same level as last season, but if he would have done that and gotten to free agency, he would have cost us more money.

Its a real risk/reward thing, but from the sounds of it, he really has dedicated himself to becoming a better player and at the worst, you have a very good defensive CF and a guy who has some pop and steals bases.

vCash
    Milwaukee Brewers
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Green Bay Packers
    Cincinatti Bengals
    BOSTON BRUINS OR DIE

Ive got a twitter! @WiteJamesHarden
    I follow back!

vCash
    Escobar was gone already I thought. Crsoby is kind of a surprise but not a loss.

vCash
    gonzalez and bianchi are better anyway. oh well.

now that I'm no longer a college student it's a lot harder to follow ST. REally looking forward to the season starting.

vCash
    They let you graduate or they kicked you out?