Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2012-13 Offseason Thread

With 4 games left and four out I figured it was time to start a new thread for the upcoming offseason.

vCash
    Need pitching, pitching, pitching.

vCash
    Here is my to do list for the brewers offseason.

1. Find 2 or more difference makers in the bullpen.
    2. Get a top of the rotation starter (preferably a lefy)
    3. Find a utility player/veteran bench help.

Here is what I'm thinking right know, sign Ryan Madson and Mike Adams. Trade for Mark Buehrle or another top of the rotation pitcher.

vCash
    1. Don't resign Francisco Rodriguez. I think we can all agree on that one.
    2. Acquire a #2, or more likely a #3 starter.
    3. Add a 2-3 bullpen arms. One to slot into the the 8th inning role and one or two to fill earlier innings.
    4. Consider bench players who can fill multiple roles.
    5. Guys to bring back: Gomez, Axford, Narveson, Estrada, Gamel, and Kintzler.
    6. Guys to consider: Marcum (at a discount), Gonzalez (at a major discount), Veras, Loe, Parra, and Ishikawa (depending on Gamel).
    7. Guys to walk: Torrealba, Morgan, Hernandez, and the afore mentioned Rodriguez.

If I haven't listed them it's because they are either signed or one of the young guys that are no-brainers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    1. Don't resign Francisco Rodriguez. I think we can all agree on that one.
    2. Acquire a #2, or more likely a #3 starter.
    3. Add a 2-3 bullpen arms. One to slot into the the 8th inning role and one or two to fill earlier innings.
    4. Consider bench players who can fill multiple roles.
    5. Guys to bring back: Gomez, Axford, Narveson, Estrada, Gamel, and Kintzler.
    6. Guys to consider: Marcum (at a discount), Gonzalez (at a major discount), Veras, Loe, Parra, and Ishikawa (depending on Gamel).
    7. Guys to walk: Torrealba, Morgan, Hernandez, and the afore mentioned Rodriguez.

If I haven't listed them it's because they are either signed or one of the young guys that are no-brainers.
    I think this is a pretty solid list. My only thing is that our most glaring weakness is clearly bullpen consistency, and that's actually incredibly hard to fix. If you go back and look at decent sized contracts given out to relievers, especially if you exclude closers, they usually don't work out, and even closers don't work out that often. Bullpen pitching from year to year is really a crap shoot. I say we bring in a couple vets at lower priced deals, bring back guys like Loe and Veras, and have more of a quantity over quality approach since quality is so hard to predict.

Starting pitching is also difficult for us. I would think we'd go after a Ryan Dempster type and hope that 3 of Peralta, Fiers, Rodgers, Thornburg, Estrada, and maybe even Narveson can pitch well enough to be legit starters. But it's going to be a bit risky to go into the season hoping what we saw out of guys, especially guys like Fiers, Peralta and Rodgers wasn't a fluke.

vCash
    I don't think the off season will be too busy. I'll probably change my mind a million times over the course of the off season what I want them to do, but I'm bored right now and I'll map out a preliminary "to do" list.

Nontenders: Nyjer Morgan, Manny Parra, Kameron Loe.
    Free agent departures: Shaun Marcum, Krod, Alex Gonzalez, Livan Hernandez
    Free agent targets:
    SP: Ryan Dempster or Annibal Sanchez (I'd love Greinke but it's not happening)
    RP: anyone but no multi year deals
    Bench: INF Maicer Izturis, OF Scott Hairston

Whole roster looks like this:

C: Jonathan Lucroy
    1b: Corey Hart
    2b Rickie Weeks
    3b: Aramis Ramirez
    ss: Jean Segura
    lf: Ryan Braun
    cf: Gomez
    rf: Aoki

Rotation:
    Yovani Gallardo
    Michael Fiers
    Marco Estrada
    Wily Peralta
    Free agent

Bullpen:
    John Axford (lock)
    Jose Veras (lock)
    Mark Rogers
    Chris Narveson
    Tyler Thornburg
    Brandon Kintzler
    Jim Henderson
    The bullpen is a bit of a cluster****. Axford will obviously be back. I think Veras has a decent shot at being back. The rest is kind of a mix between guys that don't get a rotation spot, free agents, and guys that could be in AAA or the bigs.

Bench:
    OF: Logan Schafer
    OF: Scott Hairston/free agent
    INF: Maicer Izturis/free agent (I wouldn't mind Alex Gonzalez in this spot either)
    1b/OF: Travis Ishikawa
    C: Martin Maldonado

This probably isn't a playoff team, but could be in the 75-80 win range.

vCash
    I don't mind your acquisitions but I have to disagree about the 75-80 win team. That team is better than what we ended with and we are at 83 or 84 wins. If the bullpen had even just been below average and blown only 20 games we would have 92 or 93. I don't see why this team with a top line starter, improved pen, and improved bench can't be a 90 win team. Also I think Hairston and Izturis will make 4 or 5 million over a couple years which is probably to much for a bench player.

One name that continually intrugues me is James Sheilds, I've scene numerous reports that he will be available over the offseason. I would think the rays would want a power bat prospect and young pitching. I'm not sure if Tyler Thornburg, Hunter Morris, and Martin Maldonado would be enough but he is the type of pitcher that could be a Cy Young candidate and benift greatly from a league switch. With one year left under contract there is some risk, although he could bring a Grienke like return if things are great during the first half.
    Last edited by jay87shot; 10-03-2012 at 03:10 AM.

vCash
    I agree, with a league switch Shields could be a stud.

vCash
    Out of the Peralta, Rogers and Thornburg group, only one of them should be on the opening day roster. I'd hate to see any of them sit in the bullpen and not get regular work.

1. Gallardo
    2. FA or trade
    The last three spots are filled by in most likely order: Fiers, Estrada, Peralta, Narveson, Rogers and/or Thornburg.

I think Fiers has the lead because of how he started when he came up. I don't see Thornburg breaking camp on the major league roster. Roenicke has made it clear it's a longshot at best. I think he might be the best bet to be in a trade package to acquire a SP. Rogers doesn't have the same trade value and I think Peralta is too close to trade. I like Narveson as a #5 but I don't know that I like him enough to bump Estrada.

At the end of the day we need an established SP to slot in between Gallardo and one of that group of young guys to develop into a #3. There is plenty of depth to fill the 4 and 5 spots.

vCash
    Personally I want them to go out and sign Josh Hamilton. He plays right when Gomez is in, and plays center when aoki is in. The starting pitching is good enough that we could win a lot with them. He fits into our lineup perfectly.

vCash
    ^^^Fits into the lineup, but not the payroll.

Its going to be a very quiet offseason for us in my mind. Probably a few relief pitcher signings, but no huge names. Maybe another Saito type of signing. We'll probably sign another FA pitcher. Again, not a big name, but a Dempster type of vet. I doubt we make any big trades either. Our farm isn't particularly strong, but its showing signs of life, so I would anticipate that we aren't in too big of hurry to trade much of our farm.

vCash
    Hamilton fits well in every line up.

Doesn't make sense for this team and I wouldn't want them to pay him what he is bound to get.

vCash
    Plus he is risky.

vCash
    I'd sell high on any of these minor league pitching the Brewers don't feel comfortable on. Not every one of these guys is going to pan out, it's just a matter of deciding WHICH are the best ones to take the gamble on.

I don't think Hammy may be that far out of the realm of possibility, people will be hesitant to pay the big $ they would with an Albert because of the addiction history, we have the ballpark and also his former mentors that saved his life.
    Last edited by Superfly; 10-04-2012 at 11:55 PM.

vCash
    Our offense is fine spending 20 million on a guy we don't need is not smart. We need some reliable arms and leader in the pen and rotation. Dan Haren is a guy that would be nice as well, I doubt the Angels pick up his 15 mil option. He's been good and healthy for the last 7 or 8 years. He didn't have a great year but it was terrible by any stretch. Also I wouldn't mind getting a guy like Chone Figgins to be a utility infielder if Seattle eats all of his salary. A change from that stadium would do him good and I feel like he would fit into our team very well. A good switch hitter that can play 3 infield spots and run.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast