Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I highly doubt Fisher falls past San Diego at 11 but if he does he's a no brainer, and if Star starts to slip for some reason we HAVE to pounce and make a move. I'm just not big on taking Banks or a FS at 13 maybe that will change after the combine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    I don't believe this at all, and wouldn't it be premature to say a college kid has more potential than a guy going into his 3rd year that had 7.5 sacks as a rookie and another guy that is 27 has 9 sacks this year and has increased his sack production each of the last 3 rears??
    It’s not premature at all to say he has a higher ceiling. Ansah’s combination of size, speed, and strength is very hard to find. Having a skill set like his will typically result in having great success at the NFL level if he’s willing to work hard and learn from his coaches. Everything I have read suggests that he is a humble kid with a great work ethic. Could he bust? Absolutely. But he could also be a perennial all-star at arguably the most important position on defense.

Besides, college production isn’t everything. JJ Watt only had 7 sacks his senior year at Wisconsin. Aldon Smith didn’t have a huge impact his last year at Missouri, either. You have to look at the big picture here. Ansah hasn’t even scratched the surface on what he could become, and that is the reason why he will be a top 15 pick on draft day.

So where do you put Ezekial Ansah this season, you let a proven pass rusher whos very good against the run walk in Bennett so Ansah can start?

You sit either Bennett or Clayborn?

You sit Ansah and only use him on 3rd down, completely taking away all of Daquans snaps?

Those are the 3 options I see if you draft a Defensive End in Round 1 or 2, which are you thinking would happen, if not one of these what would happen? How would he get on the field?
    I’ll say this again: there are plenty of snaps to go around. Clayborn wouldn’t be replaced. Bowers wouldn’t be replaced. Bennett wouldn’t be replaced. It’s definitely possible to have four defensive ends playing a large amount of snaps, just ask the Giants. Over the years, they have been able to rotate Tuck, Osi, JPP, and Kiwanuka effectively so everyone could play and stay fresh.

To give you an idea of what I mean, here is a snap count of our defensive ends this year:

Michael Bennett – 956 snaps
    Daniel Teo-Nesheim – 732 snaps
    Da’Quan Bowers – 282 snaps
    Adrian Clayborn – 176 snaps
    George Johnson – 108 snaps
    Aaron Morgan – 85 snaps
    Lazarius Levingston – 36 snaps
    Markus White – 5 snaps

If my math is right, that’s 2,380 snaps accounted for at defensive end. That’s more than enough to share. In 2013, I could see Clayborn and Bennett earning the bulk of the snaps while Bowers and Ansah rotate in on passing situations. That is how the Seahawks used Bruce Irvin as a rookie; Irvin played less than 450 snaps and still managed to be productive with 8 sacks. I could see the Bucs playing Ansah in a similar way as he transitions to the NFL.

I see us as having 2-3 starting caliber DE's and 0 starting caliber CBs. Shouldn't CB be a bigger priority?
    Yes, cornerback should most definitely be priority number one. I certainly won’t argue with you there. I just expect Dominik to address that well before the draft, though. Signing one starting cornerback gives us some flexibility on draft day. We wouldn’t necessarily have to draft CB in the first round. Logan Ryan, Rhodes, Alford, and possibly Trufant could be available in round two. I’m sure I’m forgetting a few names, too.

If you want a pass rusher why not find someone like Sheldon Richardson, Sharrif Floyd, Kawann Short to rush from the interior?
    That is certainly a possibility as well. I wouldn't be against adding a guy like Richardson in round one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aecon13 View Post
    @Quick: I completely understand that perspective. I understand how much impact a stud pass rusher can make, and if we have great value on a guy that falls, and he is w/ out a doubt the BPA, then I understand going for it. But if what you are saying is true, then every team outside the top 10 in sacks will have a pass rusher at the top of their board. And if all the teams that have great pass rushing make the playoffs, then that would suggest that there are 12 teams picking ahead of us that all need a pass rusher.

At the end of the day, Dom started building this team 4 years ago (w/ the expection of Barber, Joseph). He has hit on some, and not on others. We need to look at what we have, and realize where we can stand to get better.

If we draft a pass rusher #13 and he goes off for 12 sacks in first first season (how often does this happen), we are still only getting 3 sacks better from last season. Is that really the most we can benifit from a first round pick? Last year we upgraded from G. Hayes to L. David, From Sean Jones to Mark Barron, and from a one-dimentional running back who made our offense real predictable to a true game changer in D. Martin.

I understand what an elite pass rusher can bring to the table, but I just cannot agree that it is the ideal position to address in the first round for us.
    Good post. It sounds like we are pretty much on the same page.

If it wasn't for Ansah in this draft, I would agree with your post 110%. I don't like the idea of drafting Mingo, Jordan, Okafor, ect, early on in the draft at all. I just feel like Ansah is the one exception in this years draft that is too talented to ignore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quikdraw View Post
    Good post. It sounds like we are pretty much on the same page.

If it wasn't for Ansah in this draft, I would agree with your post 110%. I don't like the idea of drafting Mingo, Jordan, Okafor, ect, early on in the draft at all. I just feel like Ansah is the one exception in this years draft that is too talented to ignore.
    And your right. I'd rather sign two CBs then draft another rookie. None of these CBs are studs anyway for that High of a pick outside Vaccaro. Ansah could be the next big thing
    and with the 12th pick, The New York Football Giants select ......Odell Beckham Jr, Wide Reciever from Louisana State University

vCash
    ^Okay, but there is no C. Finnagan or B. Carr on the market either. I think we need to bring in at least 1 quality CB from both FA and the draft. Even if we sign the best FA CB, the #2 CB spot still becomes are biggest need. But yes, I think we can all agree that Free agency can completely change our draft needs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aecon13 View Post
    ^Okay, but there is no C. Finnagan or B. Carr on the market either. I think we need to bring in at least 1 quality CB from both FA and the draft. Even if we sign the best FA CB, the #2 CB spot still becomes are biggest need. But yes, I think we can all agree that Free agency can completely change our draft needs.
    Honestly I want at least 3, I may be being greedy but whatever. Through FA and the draft combined I want our 2 starters and the 3rd guy to compete with L. Johnson, and whoever else steps up in training camp for the 3rd/Nickel corner spot and 4th/Dime corner spot.

Free Agent signing (Grimes, Houston, Cox, Smith)
    Draft Johnthan Banks at 13
    Sign another cheaper but still good FA or draft another guy we like in rounds 2-5, or even both

I want a real influx of talent in that secondary.

I think if you have Sean Smith and Johnthan Banks blanketing guys in the secondary along with a better FS, hopefully Byrd, our D Line would have a lot more success.

You get a better secondary, a real secondary, back there you will see Bennett, Clayborn, Bowers and McCoys numbers go up. I think between McCoy, Bennett and Clayborn 2 of them will get double digit sacks and the other will be get at least 7 if we can fix the secondary. Add in Bowers getting maybe 5 in special situations and a couple sacks here and there from LBs and DBs we'll be sitting pretty.

With our run D and our Offense, if we can be in the 10-20 range in pass defense and sacks we will be a lock for the playoffs.

We Want Winston

vCash
    @Quik the only way I see it even being a possibility is if Bennett walks and we don't sign a Cliff Avril, Michael Johnson, Dwight Freeney, Osi Umenyora type FA.

I think the biggest thing that says this wont happen is the T'eo Nesheim situation...the kid had 4 sacks after being thrown into the fire and in my eyes earned the backup role. Dom is going to tender him, if he doesnt tender him the lowest offer possible and throws him a 1st-3rd tender I think it shows theyre committed to him as the number 4 DE... Would they really give him a 2nd round tender with 3 DE's ahead of him on the Depth Chart and then draft a DE with a first round pick? Doesnt really make sense.

If Bennett is re-signed(or a guy like Avril/Johnson) is brought in and T'eo Nesheim gets decent backup money(a mil+) do you still see them drafting a DE early?

again for the record, I think they re-sign Bennett, give T'eo Nesheim a 2nd or 3rd round tender and dont draft a DE at all(though I wish theyd look at Quanterus Smith if hes available late)
    Last edited by bwallstreet; 01-28-2013 at 06:05 PM.

We Want Winston

vCash
    Honestly I want at least 3, I may be being greedy but whatever. Through FA and the draft combined I want our 2 starters and the 3rd guy to compete with L. Johnson, and whoever else steps up in training camp for the 3rd/Nickel corner spot and 4th/Dime corner spot.

Free Agent signing (Grimes, Houston, Cox, Smith)
    Draft Johnthan Banks at 13
    Sign another cheaper but still good FA or draft another guy we like in rounds 2-5, or even both

I want a real influx of talent in that secondary.

I think if you have Sean Smith and Johnthan Banks blanketing guys in the secondary along with a better FS, hopefully Byrd, our D Line would have a lot more success.

You get a better secondary, a real secondary, back there you will see Bennett, Clayborn, Bowers and McCoys numbers go up. I think between McCoy, Bennett and Clayborn 2 of them will get double digit sacks and the other will be get at least 7 if we can fix the secondary. Add in Bowers getting maybe 5 in special situations and a couple sacks here and there from LBs and DBs we'll be sitting pretty.

With our run D and our Offense, if we can be in the 10-20 range in pass defense and sacks we will be a lock for the playoffs.
    Jesus we havent had a double digit sack total from a player since Simeon and next season we are going to have 2?

People need to realize we are not going to sign like 10 big name free agents, last season we spent big and it was pretty much 2 big names (VJ and Nicks) and a medium signing in wright who we over payed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhouse94 View Post
    Jesus we havent had a double digit sack total from a player since Simeon and next season we are going to have 2?

People need to realize we are not going to sign like 10 big name free agents, last season we spent big and it was pretty much 2 big names (VJ and Nicks) and a medium signing in wright who we over payed.
    Clayborn (when healthy) and Bennett are way better than anyone weve had since Simeon Rice. Defense is a combination of all the parts working together. It is very rare, that a sack is the product of only the person tackling the QB. Our LB core is solid without a great SLB because of how good Mason and Lavonte are, if we add anybody decent there it will be a huge strength. As long as our secondary is average and our D Line is healthy...we should hit my goal or at least come close.

I dont know if you were talking to someone else or me but I dont think were going to sign 10 big name free agents. 3-5 decent players(including Bennett) would be my guess. None of the FAs we sign this year will be getting Nicks/Jackson money so if you figure 3 last year maybe 4 this year. 43 million is a lot of money tho...and if we let go of Koenen the money saved would pay for his replacement. Chris Houston, Jairus Byrd, Michael and Martellus Bennett fill the rest with the draft Id be happy and hopefully cut/replace Koenen.

We Want Winston

vCash
    I don’t see Dom drafting a situational type guy even though some of us want him to. If you look at our drafts under Dom the 1st round picks are all immediate impact guys(not to mention team captains). It seems like a weird method but it hasnt steered us wrong yet. Ansah doesn't exactly fit the mold of what we have normally been drafting. I would almost guarantee that we pick a team captain from college (Banks, Vaccaro type). Not sure how much say Schiano will have in this draft but I feel like it’s all Dom running the show still.

vCash
    ^I have to say that I agree with most of what you said there. Only I do believe that Greg is gonna have plenty to do w/ the draft, and I think drafting captains is his thing more then anything else. I also agree that Vaccaro and Banks fit the mold of what I believe is the Dom/Schiano draft strategy regardless of which of us like or dislike those guys.

Also keep in mind that there team captain CB's that could be available in the 2nd as well. Trufont and Poyer

vCash
    Do you think Vaccaro is even on our board at this point? He was arrested this past year and was also arrested in 2009. I don't know the details of those arrests, but they are definitely red flags about his character.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quikdraw View Post
    Do you think Vaccaro is even on our board at this point? He was arrested this past year and was also arrested in 2009. I don't know the details of those arrests, but they are definitely red flags about his character.
    the most recent one was really silly. it was him and okafor and 2 other guys and they were waiting in line for pizza, an officer basically told them to move along cuz there had been a disturbance in the area and he attributed it to them (maybe rightly, maybe not)....apparently one of them got lippy and then they all got arrested for failure to obey a lawful order...complete bs

I think he punched a guy in 09

anyways I dont think they were anything serious, Barron had been arrested for some petty BS in 2011..so I assume they won't care.....besides that he fits the bill....if the rumors of trading down to the 15-20 range and trying to snag Banks there are true, which I agree with the person earlier who said if hes the guy at 18 just take hm at 13 and dont risk missing him, I would imagine Vaccaro would be very high on their list if Banks gets snagged before we pick

We Want Winston

vCash
    Hopefully we sign Jairus Byrd/Dashon Goldson and don't have to draft a safety at all.

We Want Winston

vCash
    My dream scenario would be to sign grimes & smith in FA. If we could land Byrd as well, our secondary instantly is a strength. Our major draft needs then become RT(deep draft this year @ position), slot WR (four or five NFL ready guys in draft), receiving TE(deep draft), olb (2nd-3rd rd value picks), DT/NT(deep first three rds), and luxury DE, backup RB, backup/competition QB. This is a very weak FS class, so ideally we sign a solid veteran/have Ronde return. The CB position is very deep this year, but it would be nice not to be pigeon-holed into drafting one early if we don't want to. IMO, the depth of this draft matches up with our needs very well.

Ready to Shock the World

Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast