Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 52 of 67 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewhouse94 View Post
    Giants have proved you can never draft enough DE's like when they took JPP while they still have Osi and Tuck and that has turned out pretty good for them. As much as i love Clayborn and Bowers neither has proved they can play a whole season and to get to the QB on a consistent basis yet considering in 45 games between them they have a combined 12 sacks thats very underwhelming.
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyRanch View Post
    That's your opinion. But what's fact is that we don't get the QB on the ground nearly enough to have consistent success in this league.
    ^^ Well said. I couldn't agree more. There is a strong correlation between teams that sack the quarterback and playoff teams. I'm not sure everyone here realizes that.

I have a question for those of you guys that don't think we should address the pass-rush:

Is our current defensive line capable of finishing in the top 10 for sacks in 2013 and beyond? To put things in perspective, two teams were tied for 9th place in sacks this year with 39. The 49ers and three others teams were tied at 11th place with 38 sacks.

I just can't see that happening unless we bring in more help. The Bucs finished with 27 sacks this year which was tied for 29th place. Will Adrian Clayborn increase that number? Sure. Da'Quan Bowers will likely progress in time as well. That should help. I just don't see this group scaring any Quarterbacks anytime soon, especially with Clayborn coming off major knee surgery. A major knee injury is no joke, and to assume he is going to be back 100% by week one is a bit premature.

Our offense gave us an opportunity to win just about every single week. Can you imagine how things would be different if we didn't have a mediocre pass-rush? Ezekiel Ansah may or may not be the answer, but he easily has a higher ceiling compared to the ends that we currently have on our roster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    and we have had major injuries on the D Line the last 3 years....Gerald McCoy going down killed us in both 2010 and 2011. You saw what happened when he plays 16 games.

AC went down this year and we obviously missed his 7.5 sacks.

Da'Quan will be 100% next year and so will AC. Its like you guys forget how much of a stud he is. He's better than Ansah all day and tommorrow. Your taking our 2012 line and adding Clayborn back in the mix.

If we have a need on the D Line its next to McCoy on the interior not outside.

If we were to draft a pass rusher in round 1(which we won't) it would have to be Sheldon Richardson and he would play in a rotation next to McCoy and be in on 3rd downs and passing downs, with a run stuffer like Miller playing 1st and 2nd.

I now believe Dom doesnt draft a DE in the entire draft, especially if he plans on getting a backup QB in the mid-late rounds.
    This I agree with. I honestly don't think we need anything on the D-line, but if we were gonna make a move, it would make more sense to find a big dude that can penatrate while still commanding double teams in the middle. I liie the idea of that way more then replacing Bennett/Clayborn, or spending a 1st round pick on a situational pass rusher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quikdraw View Post
    ^^ Well said. I couldn't agree more. There is a strong correlation between teams that sack the quarterback and playoff teams. I'm not sure everyone here realizes that.

I have a question for those of you guys that don't think we should address the pass-rush:

Is our current defensive line capable of finishing in the top 10 for sacks in 2013 and beyond? To put things in perspective, two teams were tied for 9th place in sacks this year with 39. The 49ers and three others teams were tied at 11th place with 38 sacks.

I just can't see that happening unless we bring in more help. The Bucs finished with 27 sacks this year which was tied for 29th place. Will Adrian Clayborn increase that number? Sure. Da'Quan Bowers will likely progress in time as well. That should help. I just don't see this group scaring any Quarterbacks anytime soon, especially with Clayborn coming off major knee surgery. A major knee injury is no joke, and to assume he is going to be back 100% by week one is a bit premature.

Our offense gave us an opportunity to win just about every single week. Can you imagine how things would be different if we didn't have a mediocre pass-rush? Ezekiel Ansah may or may not be the answer, but he easily has a higher ceiling compared to the ends that we currently have on our roster.
    I don't believe this at all, and wouldn't it be premature to say a college kid has more potential than a guy going into his 3rd year that had 7.5 sacks as a rookie and another guy that is 27 has 9 sacks this year and has increased his sack production each of the last 3 rears??

So where do you put Ezekial Ansah this season, you let a proven pass rusher whos very good against the run walk in Bennett so Ansah can start?

You sit either Bennett or Clayborn?

You sit Ansah and only use him on 3rd down, completely taking away all of Daquans snaps?

Those are the 3 options I see if you draft a Defensive End in Round 1 or 2, which are you thinking would happen, if not one of these what would happen? How would he get on the field?

I see us as having 2-3 starting caliber DE's and 0 starting caliber CBs. Shouldn't CB be a bigger priority?

If you want a pass rusher why not find someone like Sheldon Richardson, Sharrif Floyd, Kawann Short to rush from the interior?

We Want Winston

vCash
    @Quick: I completely understand that perspective. I understand how much impact a stud pass rusher can make, and if we have great value on a guy that falls, and he is w/ out a doubt the BPA, then I understand going for it. But if what you are saying is true, then every team outside the top 10 in sacks will have a pass rusher at the top of their board. And if all the teams that have great pass rushing make the playoffs, then that would suggest that there are 12 teams picking ahead of us that all need a pass rusher.

At the end of the day, Dom started building this team 4 years ago (w/ the expection of Barber, Joseph). He has hit on some, and not on others. We need to look at what we have, and realize where we can stand to get better.

If we draft a pass rusher #13 and he goes off for 12 sacks in first first season (how often does this happen), we are still only getting 3 sacks better from last season. Is that really the most we can benifit from a first round pick? Last year we upgraded from G. Hayes to L. David, From Sean Jones to Mark Barron, and from a one-dimentional running back who made our offense real predictable to a true game changer in D. Martin.

I understand what an elite pass rusher can bring to the table, but I just cannot agree that it is the ideal position to address in the first round for us.

vCash
    Sorry bwall, it looks like we were typin up the same point at the same time there^

vCash

vCash
    this adds nothing to the discussion...we all know who ansah is and im sure weve all seen film of him playing and read a scouting report or two

so hes a 1st-2nd round DE

We Want Winston

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    this adds nothing to the discussion...we all know who ansah is and im sure weve all seen film of him playing and read a scouting report or two

so hes a 1st-2nd round DE
    good lord dude...do you always wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

I didn't read the article thinking that "we all know who ansah is". It's a simple post of info damn

vCash
    I think there's no question the Dline needs to be addressed but for me I think its the DT position that needs to be addressed more than the DE position. Dream scenario is we get Henry Melton but I'm guessing Chicago does everything they can to keep him, which sucks:/

vCash
    I find the talk about taking a CB in the first round ridiculous. If Milliner falls to 13, then so be it. Once Milliner gets scoped up, the Bucs would be wise to take the BPA and target a CB in Round 2. I've said for a while that player should be Trufant but my gut says it will be Logan Ryan. The players the Bucs are targeting is...

Eric Fisher, Star Lotulelei, and Sheldon Richardson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleonidas View Post
    I find the talk about taking a CB in the first round ridiculous. If Milliner falls to 13, then so be it. Once Milliner gets scoped up, the Bucs would be wise to take the BPA and target a CB in Round 2. I've said for a while that player should be Trufant but my gut says it will be Logan Ryan. The players the Bucs are targeting is...

Wouldnt be mad if we got any of those guys, but I feel like we need a bigger DT than Richardson to make Schianos defense work. Thats why the best option here is to resign Miller and free up McCoy again all year. Not against adding a little depth to our DL with our previous track record with injuries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PewterNRed View Post
    Wouldnt be mad if we got any of those guys, but I feel like we need a bigger DT than Richardson to make Schianos defense work. Thats why the best option here is to resign Miller and free up McCoy again all year. Not against adding a little depth to our DL with our previous track record with injuries.
    i think hes assuming Richardson would be mccoys backups and play on the other DT spot on 3rd/passing downs...thats what I would consider Richardson for

We Want Winston

vCash
    well if thats the case then why waste a 1st round pick to back up our best defensive player? many other needs we could address like SLB, RT, TE, Slot WR and possibly S. I’m excited to see what we do in FA so we can narrow this pick down a little bit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleonidas View Post

If Star or Fisher are available then I agree that they get the nod over Banks. I son't agree about Sheldon Richardson.

vCash
    I would prefer us taking T. Eifert at pick 13 over drafting a situational d-lineman. If the Bucs feel that Banks and Rhodes are a reach at 13, then they should still look to draft a player that will mkae our team better this year. The more I hear everyone on here suggest that every CB other then Milliner, and every FS in this draft is a reach at 13, the more I think about how many of us had M. Barron on our second round mock drafts around this time last year. His stocl raised all the way up within a month of the draft last year, and clearly Dom and Greg did not feel he was a reach at 7 last season. We have no idea what their board looks like.

Page 52 of 67 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast